• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

The supports were fine in 2006 when I redecked it but they rotted away since then.

View attachment 1257579

View attachment 1257580

View attachment 1257581

This was a huge surprise. I don't know what was keeping it from collapsing.
I decided to gut the entire thing and reframe it.

View attachment 1257582

View attachment 1257583

This section was 16" higher than the main deck. I'm going to build it to the same height as the other so it is even all the way across.
I've been working jobs the past few years that sometimes involve remodeling. This often includes reusing stuff that might otherwise get thrown away. This means being more careful on disassembly.

View attachment 1257584

The railing between the posts will be reused...

View attachment 1257585

View attachment 1257586
Looking through my Meme folder...found this and thought it might be a bit of fun for later on....

upload_2022-3-21_17-7-35.png

I am building a deck out back later this year.....I'm going to try and find a skeleton like that. :lol:

View attachment 1257597

Do you guys get treated timber? That looks like plain timber to me. Treated stuff should have lasted way beyond what you got there.
Or do you just rely on paint systems to preserve the wood?

Built this for a young couple this past summer. All this is pressure treated lumber. Notice the cut outs along the edge off the pool. Thirty years ago an engineer ask me to come up with a way to keep the deck over the top of the railing of the pool, but not to high above it. He didn't want to stop at the pool so as not to step on the top railing getting in and out. 2x6 lay flat in the cut outs and are screwed into to third joist They run out flush to the inside of the top rail. The bottom of the cut outs are 1/2 inch above the top rail of the pool allowing for room for the cover to go between the rail and the 2X6's. Finish deck height is now 1 1/4 from the deck boards, plus the 1/2 inch space, plus the 1 1/2 from the flat 2X6 above the rail, which comes to 3 1/4. If the liner needs replacing the screws are removed the third joist and the whole picture frame pulls out. The decking material is 5/4 PVC. It was cheaper than cedar this past summer and last forever. This whole deck will last forever. I've built many decks like this for above ground pools over the years for people, most of which went all the way around the pool, with railings to give it that inground feeling and ease of vacuuming. Some had roofs over half the deck to stay out of the sun. This one has black metal fencing around it with LED lighting drilled flush into the face of the deck boards. I've held two patents over the years for building ideas.

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg
IMG_3675.jpg
IMG_3740.jpg

Just got back from guy's long weekend at fishing shack on a lake in ultra rural North Florida.

4 days of no internet or cell service.

Haven't been falling down drunk in quite a while.

Took care of that on the first night.

Won bet to row out to island and back in under 20 min (did it in 6) then promptly fell over canoe and banged up my shin.

Cleaned up at poker.

Cooked 3/4 pound 2 inch thick hamburgers on charcoal grill.

Played with fire a lot.

Had "Band Of Brothers" marathon in the evenings.

Typical guy stuff.

Last edited:
Baby sitting grandsons, 2 and 4. I do this most Fridays.
Neat kids. Happy, lively, so full of life. Both napping now. Sit here worrying about what they may have to deal with down the road in this world. Hate to think of them being unprotected.

Went to the "Green Acres Nursery" here in town and purchased this flower, plant, for the front yard area.
Edit.
Found out the name of this plant is called Blue Lithodora, a ground cover plant.

Flower (Mobile).jpg

Last edited:
Hemmed and hawed about going to AirFest in Tampa.

Wife put the boot to my butt and we went.
(Did I mention lately How much I love her atypical-ness?)

Traffic SUCKED. Almost 2 hours to go the last 15 miles.
Had to park in overflow parking at the BX, which at least put is near the front of the pack to get out.

At least we could see some planes while we were in the gridlock.
The F22 was amazing with stall and flip maneuverability.
Not a loop, it literally flipped over. One time it did it twice.

Then the C17. Incredibly maneuverable for a plane that large.

Unfortunately my phone acted up and I couldn't see the screen 3/4 of the time.
Only got pics on one aircraft- a Chinook night ops gunship.

Haven't seen the Blue Angels since they were in A4's.
The first time I saw them, they were in F4's!

In my childhood, though mid-teens I used to go every year to the Dayton Air Fair.
My estimation was yesterday's show was about half the size, but still really cool.
Blue Angels, Thunderbirds or Snowbirds were always there.

Was still able to name every aircraft except the DC9 based transport which I don't believe we had a Wright-Pat.

20220326_152913.jpg
20220326_152712.jpg
20220326_152732.jpg

Last edited:
Another day in front of my mill..... Actually made twenty of these things... Still gotta de-burr them, then send them out for anodizing along with a bunch of other parts I'm still making...

IMG_6829.jpg

IMG_6833.PNG

IMG_6834.PNG

Looks good, but what are they?

It's a yoke for the peel tip of a high speed labelling machine.... The company I do work for does lots of custom installations.. A couple years ago when Covid hit the machine shop they had been using got way behind & we had a semi big job that the customer was ready to cancel since it was over 90 days behind... I grabbed the prints & made the parts over a weekend... Monday I delivered the parts & Wednesday we delivered the job...

Since then I've made a few short runs of custom parts and allot of one off prototype stuff... Last week while I was in Texas I was asked about making another big batch of parts, they had sent them to our old "regular" machine shop back in the early part of January with promised delivery by mid February.... Needless to say they won't be using that shop anymore...

Drove to Milwaukee.

P.S. love the MH-47 !! My last flying gig was CH-47D Flight Engineer Instructor. Damn fine aircraft !

Auto Transport Service
Back