• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

Reading through this tread wore me out seeing all this work y'all are doing. I just rounded the boys up and enjoyed a sunny day...............
275386658_156928926704710_4486867082098485997_n.jpg

Been packing up parts over the last week or more. So far 3 sets of pistons, 2 aluminum big block water pumps, a set of polished LY rods and some odds and ends. Got the rods ready to go this afternoon. Yesterday it was weed eater and leaf blower day (freaking live oaks and water oaks made a huge mess with the new leaves popping out and the pollen crap) and need to edge the driveway but at least got it ready for the edger with the weed eater and it looks decent enough to not worry about edging it for the next few days. Been doing some cleaning on the dang vinyl siding too. Couldn't afford the aluminum when I did the job or it would have had aluminum on it.

Baby sitting grandsons, 2 and 4. I do this most Fridays.
Neat kids. Happy, lively, so full of life. Both napping now. Sit here worrying about what they may have to deal with down the road in this world. Hate to think of them being unprotected.
Worrying does nothing but create stress but I know all too well it's not easy to not worry. Lots of times when I can't sleep because of worry, I start praying.....and next thing I know I'm waking up in the morning and ready to hit it....that is if my back lets me.

Another day in front of my mill..... Actually made twenty of these things... Still gotta de-burr them, then send them out for anodizing along with a bunch of other parts I'm still making...

View attachment 1263131

View attachment 1263146

View attachment 1263147
My last 'small parts' job was over 150 brass pipe bushings with internal and external threads with no hex. It was for a hospital remodel job that was adapting new bath tubs to the old drains. Bought some brass tubing that was close enough on the ID and OD and could single tool deep enough into it for 5 bushings at time. This was a job better suited to a CNC machine with an auto feed chuck setup but I was cheaper. They were happy if I got 25 a week to them but doing more than that was easy enough.....and it was a non thinking job too lol

Got the Dakota out of winter storage.
Changed the rear tires and fixed the loose rear joint caps that were making it vibrate.
Then I gave it a quick wash as it was kinda dirty from sitting in a barn since November.
Hopefully a couple more weeks and I can get the charger out. But we are still getting snowflakes tomorrow.

Must have been a post ride get together!
Thats a good day!
Lunch stop, the cool thing is one guy that rides with us is 75 and the guy that rides the bike closest in the picture is 77!
Heck I was feeling anti-social yesterday and did 350 miles by myself on back roads up through the Sierras.

BTW where is Missouri are you? I grew up in Osceola and my Mom still lives in Butler. Got out of the Navy out here and stayed. In July I will be riding with the Fallen Soldier Tribute Northwest and when we get to Lincoln Neb I plan on breaking off and heading down to Rock Port Mo to visit a buddy and on down to Butler.

67061993384__7E502F16-5914-4BF1-9B4A-3F27951097AC.jpg
67062008650__ADE29ABA-E362-4097-955B-12B65077725B.jpg
67062009859__94E69515-BEB0-4504-B346-45E3A6E2D295.jpg

Last edited:
Found this ratchet in a parts car.

Was crazy rusted. Took it to the bench wire brush and then permatex rust neutralized it.

Worked some wynn's penetrating oil into it and then took it apart, cleaned including burnishing with a small wire cup wheel.

Works great now. Actually feels kinda good.

Not the best brand, but not the worst.

One more working 3/8 drive for the JY tool bag, etc.

20220402_130825.jpg
20220402_130924.jpg

Finally got around to replacing the messed up machine head on the "Slash" edition LP my BIL found in the garbage can down the street from his house.

Could tune the low E almost in but then it would jump the threads.
I got it in a couple of times but it was annoying as hell.

Looked in my box o' guitar parts and I had a few I'd saved that were "close enough".
Had to relocate the screw holes, so filled in the wood with tooth pics and wood glue.
Tightened a few of the other up both to the body and the head to post and gear to post.

Now it tunes up and plays pretty good.

It's purdy, too.

20220403_104214.jpg
20220403_105629.jpg
20220403_110745.jpg
20220403_110754.jpg

Mowed the yard with my new Spartan mower. It has a 54" deck vs the 48" on my old Husqvarna. The old mower lasted 15 years. It's still good, it's just time for new.

IMG_20220404_093548584.jpg IMG_20220404_093609129.jpg

I glanced at the new mowers in front of Lowes yesterday.

$2500 for the entry level 42-46".

I paid $800 for my 2004 Craftsman "customer return" (regular price $1199) 42" 17HP Kohler single and it's still going strong despite being just short of abused.

I wonder how many new mowers the "customer" who returned mine has gone through since then.

Same here , paid about the same on my Craftsman 42" back in 1999

Still going strong , perfect honestly - Mows an acre and half

However just noticed some rust on the mower deck , a few holes popping through
Parts mostly still available , except the mower deck

Just picked up a newer Poulan Pro on Facebook Marketplace as a safety measure this winter
Damn thing looks brand new , $300.00 - Guy went with a zero turn

Mowed the yard with my new Spartan mower. It has a 54" deck vs the 48" on my old Husqvarna. The old mower lasted 15 years. It's still good, it's just time for new.

View attachment 1264702 View attachment 1264703
My old 84 Gravely is still kicking but it could use a new PTO shaft coupler. Wish I had installed an hour meter because it's got a lot on it and have no idea how many hours are on it now. Even have a couple in the tool box. Oh well. Bought the 8163-B around 89 for 3300 and so far rebuilt the 50" deck once and replaced the PTO clutch in 07 and resplined the forward drive clutch a few years ago. Man, getting to the PTO clutch was a pita having to take everything out of the transmission being that it's a dual range 4 speed both forward and reverse....

Prices have gone way up on mowing equipment, even the "bargain" big-box-store offerings...those are all made by just two manufacturers, you know! No matter the color, it's either MTD or another manufacturer for all of those. The Lowe's "John Deere" is JD in name only. If I go to a JD dealer, then I'm getting an actual JD product and not a cheapo built under license in China.

I got a great deal on my new mower. I paid a lot for mine, I won't lie. But it is very, very sturdy and strong. The difference between it and the old unit is day and night. I plan on getting the air-ride seat for it in a couple of weeks. I tried that seat out, and it's incredible!

It really depends on the size and terrain of your yard. I have 1.3 acres of yard, and this does the job like no other mower I've used.

It even has LED headlights, so if I get the hankerin' to mow at midnight, I'm set! The daytime temps and humidity can be brutal in OK in the Summertime!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back