• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is everyone using to cover areas that get welded (rattle can primer)

mopar4don

Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
In my case I have spot primed welded areas with duplicolor 2 in 1 primer. Which is a rattle can and is according to there tech sheet lacquer based.
Later on I will use K36 urethane primer.

I have been told that eventually I would have a problem because urethane does not like lacquer and wont stick to it. In my case I plan on going back and removing the duplicolor primer and spot spraying epoxy in those areas.

I cant help but think other DIY'ers like me want to take the short cut and just buy any old rattle can primer and then some day wonder why there paint fails.

Thoughts?

Don’t use lacquer or rustoleum at all. Not the same base as auto paints. This is from the paint store people.

I use this PPG SXA1031. Etch primer in a can, it seems like good quality. Used it for years.

Your repair is only as good as the products you apply to the metal.

https://ssl.hmswarehouse.com/TECH/VIBRANCE/sx1031.pdf

63931EC4-0AC2-481B-A541-9F6BE13E98A5.jpeg FAADF8EC-A2E5-480C-9889-256E44CE46B0.jpeg

Last edited:
I use 2 part epoxy on all welds. Dp 40. Ppg. I dab with a cotton swab after every weld is cleaned up in those areas. Etch has no protection. Its just ment for under primer that is not direct to metal or zinc coated. I get the swabs from a glass install place
image.jpg

I agree slimt, I saw evidence of etch primer not having protection when I discovered slight rust appearing under the etch primer that I had applied to the welds after installing the floor pans. Granted it had been a few months, but I never knew I would have a problem. That was a $40+ mistake (a couple of cans)

I like the swab idea, I have on occasion brushed the epoxy on

Not all products work the same. Just because one etch primer is not working doesn’t mean they all are bad. Brand A vs brand B. That’s why you buy quality refinish products. Did you open the attachment In Post #2? Says direct to clean and sanded metal.

Please tell us the brand of etch primer that turned to rust so we can avoid that product.

08D927CB-37E1-465E-8F63-F951CA9A0EAD.png

Last edited:
Not all products work the same. Just because one etch primer is not working doesn’t mean they all are bad. Brand A vs brand B. That’s why you buy quality refinish products. Did you open the attachment In Post #2? Says direct to clean and sanded metal.

Please tell us the brand of etch primer that turned to rust so we can avoid that product.

View attachment 1269157

SEM etch primer
post #886 and #896
in the post I say it is 3m etch primer but I mis-spoke it is SEM etch primer
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/dons-1969-charger-restoration.51122/page-45

Last edited:
What ever is in rattle cans. 70% is a acetone or? and air so it sprays easy.
I am in the process of priming surrounded body fills areas at the metal with etch. 1071 ppg etch. Now priming. The roof will be replaced on monday spot welded cleaned and epoxied in the critical areas.

you can use spray bombs. But is it worth redoing? It does not take much.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back