• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What starter is best for my 72 Satellite 400ci

Maxxx

Local time
3:34 AM
Reaction score
What starter is best for my 72 Satellite 400ci?

Looking for recommendations, I think this one died prematurely IMHO, so keen on alternatives if they are reliable performers... Here are pics

20200918_162120.jpg 20200918_162025.jpg

I've used 3 of these starters and have been impressed

IMG_0794.JPG IMG_0795.JPG

I'm running a modern style starter from a pickup truck, smaller and faster cranking rpm's.. works great.

I use original starters rebuilt at a local shop. Even with headers they work great.
If your ride won’t start right up then fix your tuneup!

I don’t want my classic mopar to sound like a Damn Honda/Nissan/Toyota when I crank it up!

I use original starters rebuilt at a local shop. Even with headers they work great.
If your ride won’t start right up then fix your tuneup!

I don’t want my classic mopar to sound like a Damn Honda/Nissan/Toyota when I crank it up!
Just because some of us run a modern starter doesn't mean our cars aren't tuned right:rolleyes:. My OEM starter didn't like being right next to my headers, with this mini I've never had another issue. There's the OEM guys and then there's the guys that take advantage of modern technology... No need for insults.

I never said that all mini starter cars were not tuned correctly. you implied that insult on your own. Sorry if I lead you to that. I know thousands of mopar guy like them, cool for you. This guy doesn’t like his mini for some reason. But any part can fail. So build the starter correctly and it will work correctly.

Many time the reason for liking a mini starter is “it starts so much easier”
But just like anything. Buy what you like! He asked an opinion question.

These posts might as well ask, what should I have for dinner tonight? Your gonna get 12 different answers.

I never said that all mini starter cars were not tuned correctly. you implied that insult on your own. Sorry if I lead you to that. I know thousands of mopar guy like them, cool for you. This guy doesn’t like his mini for some reason. But any part can fail. So build the starter correctly and it will work correctly.

Many time the reason for liking a mini starter is “it starts so much easier”
But just like anything. Buy what you like! He asked an opinion question.

These posts might as well ask, what should I have for dinner tonight? Your gonna get 12 different answers.
:thumbsup:

Sorry for jumping the gun then. There's plenty out there that take cheap shots at every opportunity, just gets old after awhile.

I really like the idea of a modern starter. I believe my headers ate this one. And although the pictures may not show it, it's crowded in there so smaller is better, all things being equal. Please recommend a specific bolt-on starter I can use for 400 ci automatic? I find I have the most success with specific parts recommended here. Also, a heat shield / sleeve / pouch?

I really like the idea of a modern starter. I believe my headers ate this one. And although the pictures may not show it, it's crowded in there so smaller is better, all things being equal. Please recommend a specific bolt-on starter I can use for 400 ci automatic? I find I have the most success with specific parts recommended here. Also, a heat shield / sleeve / pouch?
I wish I could remember what I specified when I bought this one, it's no aftermarket jobby just a factory replacement starter from Napa. I believe it was for a 90's small block pickup? The biggest issue with these is the electrical connection, I seam to remember it needing a bit of tweaking?

I wish I could remember what I specified when I bought this one, it's no aftermarket jobby just a factory replacement starter from Napa. I believe it was for a 90's small block pickup? The biggest issue with these is the electrical connection, I seam to remember it needing a bit of tweaking?

Hmmm thank you for the suggestion, I'm concerned I might stumble into something incompatible...or deal with modification/tweaking. Looking for small easy bolt-on solution and installing effective heat shield at the same time

The only wire mod I had to do when I used the bbb starter was to bend one of the positive battery cable eyelets so it would screw onto the threads. .very simple. .i would also bolt the positive cable on the starter first and then stick it up into position. .otherwise it may be impossible to start the nuts on the post because they are close to the engine block when the starter is installed. .the starters I use are for a mid 90s dodge Dakota. Part number n17466. I just put that starter on my 72 charger 400

I suggest wrapping the header or headpipe first if you can fit the extra thickness of the material.
Really helps with underhood temperatures but it's a painful process.

Ok I've found the BBB N17466 starter locally. Now to find the heat shield, without wrapping the headers is there a basic heat shield solution for the starter that is effective? Could really use guidance on this one, hoping there's a generic sleeve of some sort I can pick up

This is the starter that matches the BBB N17466, which appears to be Napa p#2446415. These pictures are off two different websites, showing the front and back of the part. Fits 91-95 Dodge Dakota 5.2L. Does this appear to be the correct part to fit my 400 ci?

20200921_132009.jpg 20200921_132014.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back