• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Satellite 400ci Plugs, wires, cap, rotor/distributor

Maxxx

Local time
12:45 PM
Reaction score
Hey as usual checking the forum for input before buying parts, looking for guidance / sourcing for replacement parts to partially tune up my 72 Satellite 400ci :

8 Plugs
8 Wires (would very much like silicone jacket)
8 of those brackets that mount on the valve cap screws and hold up the plug wires away from
1 Distributor cap
1 Rotor

Would love some input and recommendations!
Thanks in advance
M

I got my autolites, cap and rotor from rockauto.

Yes on the RockAuto.
Negatory on the Autolites. (Champion, AC-Delco or NGK)
Look for "Blue Streak" stuff

Thanks I think I'm all set!
Except I can't find the little doo-dads that ride on the valve cover bolt locations and elevate the spark plug wires away from the engine? Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance!

Except I can't find the little doo-dads that ride on the valve cover bolt locations and elevate the spark plug wires away from the engine? Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance!
Those wouldn't be factory parts.
Maybe look at Summit Racing and see if you can find something you like

Doo dad's?

Doo dad's?
Screenshot_20230908_010635_Chrome.jpg

The factory did use plastic "looms" on some applications.
My 73 small block has them.
273 Commando 273's had elaborate ones.

Yes perfect I found some on amazon, I'm figuring out which to go with. Thanks guys!

Yes on the RockAuto.
Negatory on the Autolites. (Champion, AC-Delco or NGK)
Look for "Blue Streak" stuff
That would be a hard "NO" on AC Delco plugs.
I've tried them in mopars before and every time I did I had a whine in the speakers that coincided with engine rpm... and yes I always ran resistor plugs. Re replaced with champion and the whine went away

That would be a hard "NO" on AC Delco plugs.
I've tried them in mopars before and every time I did I had a whine in the speakers that coincided with engine rpm... and yes I always ran resistor plugs. Re replaced with champion and the whine went away
The AC # R43S or R44S for B/RB engines or R44XLS or R43XLS for LA engines are RESISTOR plugs and would work well. There are a myriad of brands and heat ranges that would provide satisfactory service. The "whine" you note is coming from the alternator's commutation, and varies with rpm levels, 8unot the spark plugs......
BOB RENTON

Then why did the whine suddenly appear when I put the ac plugs in and disappeared when I re replaced them with champion? I haven't seen what I am talking about, only once//.but many times.
Even back when I did tune ups at sears auto center 30 years ago, I had customers come back and ask me how I got rid of the whine in their speakers and I told them I simply replaced the ac plugs the last person installed with champions. Is use autolite way before acs in a Mopar.

Then why did the whine suddenly appear when I put the ac plugs in and disappeared when I re replaced them with champion? I haven't seen what I am talking about, only once//.but many times.
Even back when I did tune ups at sears auto center 30 years ago, I had customers come back and ask me how I got rid of the whine in their speakers and I told them I simply replaced the ac plugs the last person installed with champions. Is use autolite way before acs in a Mopar.
If that's the case, and GM vehicles use AC plugs, why aren't GM owners complaining? Champion spark plugs use different types of suppression methods...some use "Q" or inductive suppressors or some use "R" resistive suppressors...which one did you use? AC uses similar methods....do you know what's the difference? Another consideration is a damaged plug wire or termination within the boot. Something to consider, b4 condemning one brand or another....plus, NGK offers a plethora of combinations to consider for future consideration......
BOB RENTON

Update, my mechanic said I need
1) spark plug wires with an abrupt 90 degree angle at their end, as well as
2) short stemmed plugs that don't protrude much from the engine block, because right now my plug heads and connected wires are painfully close to the headers. The fabric-like heat shielding loom around the plug connection is showing signs of failure due to contact and friction.

I will look around, just wondering if anyone has encountered this and found similar parts?

Update, my mechanic said I need
1) spark plug wires with an abrupt 90 degree angle at their end, as well as
2) short stemmed plugs that don't protrude much from the engine block, because right now my plug heads and connected wires are painfully close to the headers. The fabric-like heat shielding loom around the plug connection is showing signs of failure due to contact and friction.

I will look around, just wondering if anyone has encountered this and found similar parts?
You can always consider a "short" external insulator spark plug available from several manufacturers, such as Champion CJ series (CJ--8Y series) OR NGK (BJR7 series) in equilivant heat range to what you are presently using. These for instances are assuming a 3/8" reach plug. If your preference is NGK, refer to their heat range and gap styles and firing end configurations. NGK offers a plethora of plugs in their offerings. The same holds true for the other manufacturers......call them to verify....just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back