• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to ask for this A833.

MEJ1990TM

Local time
6:01 AM
Reaction score
I just picked up a four speed from a friend of mine, and am now in the process of figuring out what I am going to do with it, and what to ask when I'm done. Aside from the fact that someone painted it silver it is a really clean transmission. I cleaned up the outside a little bit, and it's clean to the touch. Still going to try and make it a little better. The trans has a 30 spline main shaft ,as well as a 99539 tail housing, so it can be used in a wide variety of vehicles. The internals are what really stand out to me. It looks practically brand new inside. Almost no visible wear on the engagement teeth on the gears, or on the reverse gears.

I'd half way thought of putting it away to put in the '66, but we already have a four speed for that car. If anyone has any ideas of what it's worth I'm all ears. I was thinking of asking $500 because of the tail housing, and just how nice it is. I looked on Brewers and they get $199 plus shipping for the tail housing alone. Too much? Too little? Just right? Thanks in advance for any help. Here are a couple sub par cell phone pictures. The camera is acting up, or else I'd have more.

0812021804.jpg

0812021738.jpg

If it's not an overdrive unit, probably 350-400 is about the going rate for a good unit. If it had bellhousing, flywheel and a good new or usable clutch, then more like 650-700. JMO.

If it's not an overdrive unit, probably 350-400 is about the going rate for a good unit. If it had bellhousing, flywheel and a good new or usable clutch, then more like 650-700. JMO.

Thanks for the info. It's a 2.66 1st trans without OD. Cast iron case. The only reason I threw out $500 is because I got $700 for one I rebuilt a couple years ago. It had just the E Body shifter mount, and the smaller main shaft. 26 spline I think. Looking back the one I rebuilt is one I wish I could have back. It wasn't as clean as it should have been.

Ive seen them go here for as low as 200 and up from there, it is a nice clean trans, inside and out. I would have to think as good as shape its in that 400 + wouldn't be out of line, if someone wants one. whats the thing about the tail shaft though looks like its for b or E, im not seeing anything different, im curious is all.. I keep thinking they came with 23 or 18 spline shafts.. If you do a search here you may find a lot thats been for sale before and see what kind of money they went for, Id be happy to get 300 out of mine, its a B and E but one guy may want it so its here to stay for awhile. this is just my opinion on the prices, im sure there's more then myself that can tell you more. Good luck in the sale!

Ive seen them go here for as low as 200 and up from there, it is a nice clean trans, inside and out. I would have to think as good as shape its in that 400 + wouldn't be out of line, if someone wants one. whats the thing about the tail shaft though looks like its for b or E, im not seeing anything different, im curious is all.. I keep thinking they came with 23 or 18 spline shafts.. If you do a search here you may find a lot thats been for sale before and see what kind of money they went for, Id be happy to get 300 out of mine, its a B and E but one guy may want it so its here to stay for awhile. this is just my opinion on the prices, im sure there's more then myself that can tell you more. Good luck in the sale!

The other transmissions I've seen had either one or the other for the shifter mounting positions. This one has two shifter mount positions so it opens up the number of vehicles it can be used in. It also came with an adapter for a bell housing that has a larger opening. Can't say as I know what bell housings would have a larger opening. Truck perhaps?

The input on this transmission is the plain 23 spline, the main shaft is the 30 spline.

There are three bellhousing openings. 4.350, 4.80 and 5.125, the largest being the overdrive opening. I've never seen an A833 overdrive behind a big block. Course, I've learned to never say never with Chrysler.....but I ain't seen one yet. Since both big blocks and overdrives existed in some of the same years.....I reckon it couldda happened.

What bell housing opening is it for? Do you have the stamping info from the pad? Year?

The date code is 3020. From what I was able to come up with that is an early November of 1969 date. So it would be for a '70 model year car.

Auto Transport Service
Back