• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to heat the garage with????

View attachment 537653
Here you go.
Loving the smell of diesel in the morning
That's my heat source right now, it actually burns very clean with little odor at all and heats the garage up quick to so it's not on much. Hard to beat them for quick heat and this new one doesn't burn near the fuel as the last one either.

I just use off road diesel in mine, so they don't burn clean.
Use mine mainly in emergency situations or to ungel diesel engines

Whatever happened to wearing these?

spin_prod_909665412.jpg

That's what I used with a Mr Heater Buddy heater for about 4 years before I could afford a better alternative.

f232000.jpg

It usually stays in the 40s and 50s here most of the winter. So, I just bought the window AC unit with a heater in it. It runs on 220 so it doesn't cost too much. But, my car is to the point I don't have to work on it when the weather is too hot or too cold. BTW, that 440 will heat the garage pretty well for a little while after the door is closed.

Any more than 84% and you need a condensate drain
I am reading you need to use stainless for venting to keep from rusting out piped and keep heat set above 55° to avoid condensate. Is that right or is the drain still needed?

View attachment 537653
Here you go.
Loving the smell of diesel in the morning
That's what my friend over here uses to warm up his shop in the mornings until the wood-burner kicks in....two man mechanical workshop - single level all concrete building.....with the roller doors open and a southerly blowing, it gets nasty cold early in the mornings.

I just have never used or really liked the torpedo style diesel fired heaters, as I have been in other shops/garages as they usually gassed me out/ or gave me a headache, but maybe the newest models are much better. I do know a few guys that used them often in their garage, and the one guy (his son told me personally) his dad passed away from a brain aneurism, and his son thought that breathing all those fumes for many years may have contributed to his death, but who knows for sure. I do know his shop had an awful film on just about everything from using that heater. Anyways... my brother and I have a model CL6048 Classic Central Wood Boiler and we have it plumbed to my house, and have heater plenums in all three wings of the shops, and all each have thermostats on them for heat control. Our main shop is heated 24/7, @60-62 degrees because it has a bathroom with stool/ and sink, with running water, which comes in handy. It was an expensive project, installing the stove and all associated components, digging all the underground water lines with an mini backhoe, piping all fittings w/pex tubing to the heater plenums and so on. We have about 12-13K putting it all together, the boiler is warranted for 25yrs, and I'm 50 yrs old and my bro is 55yrs old, we hope it lasts for the rest of our lives, after that time, someone else's worries! My brother and sister-in-law have an apartment out in the back southwestern wing of the parts storeroom building
in which they live their with the cats and one dog. The building sizes are, main building 28x60 and sistered next building is 28x60x12ft high and an attached rear lean-to is 20x70 an a front lean-to is 32x38 and another smaller lean-to off of the 28x60 building, which is 14x24. We have our blood, sweat, and tears invested in this place, but we enjoy/love this place! You can never have enough room, and everything is full. It is a lot of work cutting wood, but it is a great physical workout, but it is nice getting out in the great wide open woods!

burn clean K1 and not the cheap **** and have a clean unit no smell

burn clean K1 and not the cheap **** and have a clean unit no smell

I would be concerned with CO from any fuel burning heater. We like the heat but the exhaust?--not so much.

A crazy woman stayed in my home with her kids for a while. (long creepy/sad story).
Winter was at hand and she bought a kerosene heater for a small bedroom for her son. I told her to not use it in that small closed room and that I would testify in court against her if her son died at my house for any reason.---I won that one--

Most fairly new construction these days is tight.--Think about it as living in a bubble. We breathe oxy. (O2) and so do fuel-burning heaters. We give off CO2 and those heaters give off CO.----O2 is outside and needs a way to get in.

Last edited:
got sensors
, in almost 40 years using them no problem ,no in this age I have been checking into the radiant heat tubes

If you set the thermostat a 70F on both scorched air and radiant the radiant will likely use more fuel but the space will be too warm
If you make it comfortable with both the radiant will use less as objects are not drawing your heat and if the floor is warm you do not need your head to be
I installed a pair of tube heater in a shop that did trailer repairs and when I saw the owner the next year I asked if his gas bill went down and he said no but I got to work in a tee shirt and water never froze in the corners any more
You are looking for something to keep your shop from freezing between stoking your wood heater
I would go with the radiant tube heater just over your main work spot comfort for you well the wood heater warms the rest up

The last one I did we mapped the location as we knew what lift was going in so it was easy
or after the fact use infrared scanner
to locate heat concentration

Auto Transport Service
Back