• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to heat the garage with????

747mopar

Local time
11:19 PM
Reaction score
I'm done with the days of coming into a freezing cold garage where it takes an hour to get it remotely warm while the heavy masses hold the cold making it worse so what to do? My plan all along has been a mixure of propane and wood and am mostly looking for input on the propane side of it. I'd like to install a propane heater to maintain say 50 degrees at all times then fire a woodburner up when I'll be using it (weekends). My question is what's the best options for propane with effeciency as a high priority? I thought about just a small home furnace but like the looks of the units that can be hung from the cieling. I'll be heating a 32X34, 13ft ceiling garage that is very well insulated (R19 walls R30 ceiling and R17 garage doors). Anybody use these units?

high efficiency residential furnaces need to be kept warm because they constantly create condensate. The whole condensate system will freeze and really piss you off. So if you keep it 50, you’re good but now you’re locked into heating the space. Just a thought.

Standard efficiency units don’t suffer from this problem and are pretty cheap, though they will use like 10% more fuel.

How about a heat pump? Super efficient and in the summer they’re AC units.

We insulated my dads garage then bought a wall mount gas heater, Ran a gas line from the house to the garage. Stays nice and toasty. Keep it at 60 while we’re not in there, usually crank it to 70 when we go in.

You could use a residential AC/Heat pump and install a programmable thermostat to kick on an hour before you arrive, then you're not wasting juice.

I'm really impressed with the mini split AC units. Easy to install, they come pre charged. The only specialty items you need are a set of Gauges and a vacuum pump. I ordered mine on online and no EPA card was needed.

Added benefit is you'll have AC in the summer.

Buy a Ford it will burn for days - weeks with all the grease and oil everywhere

Buy a Ford it will burn for days - weeks with all the grease and oil everywhere
My 2-1/2 garage is fully insulated. I did all of this when I moved in. I do have a forced air furnace & the first winter or two I only used it when I went out there. Even with our Michigan winters I noticed if I left a glass of water out in the garage it would not freeze in the garage without the heat on, so the insulation helps a ton. Many winters ago I decided to do a test. It is only about $15.00 a month more for me to leave it on all winter long & set at 50. I boost it up to 65 or so when I go out. Never again will I go without a heated garage in the winter.

high efficiency residential furnaces need to be kept warm because they constantly create condensate. The whole condensate system will freeze and really piss you off. So if you keep it 50, you’re good but now you’re locked into heating the space. Just a thought.

Standard efficiency units don’t suffer from this problem and are pretty cheap, though they will use like 10% more fuel.

How about a heat pump? Super efficient and in the summer they’re AC units.
Yes a heat pump/AC is something I forgot to mention in the original post but is another option I'm really interested in. I personally only have experience with wood stoves and standard propane furnaces since those are the most common fuels in my area which is why I'm looking for feedback. Anybody using a heat pump, pros/cons?

Yes I plan to keep it well above freezing at all times.

My 2-1/2 garage is fully insulated. I did all of this when I moved in. I do have a forced air furnace & the first winter or two I only used it when I went out there. Even with our Michigan winters I noticed if I left a glass of water out in the garage it would not freeze in the garage without the heat on, so the insulation helps a ton. Many winters ago I decided to do a test. It is only about $15.00 a month more for me to leave it on all winter long & set at 50. I boost it up to 65 or so when I go out. Never again will I go without a heated garage in the winter.
My experience has tought me that bringing a garage and all of it's contents up to temperature requires a lot of energy as compared to maintaining it, I'll be maintaining it which is why effeciency is a priority.

You could use a residential AC/Heat pump and install a programmable thermostat to kick on an hour before you arrive, then you're not wasting juice.

I'm really impressed with the mini split AC units. Easy to install, they come pre charged. The only specialty items you need are a set of Gauges and a vacuum pump. I ordered mine on online and no EPA card was needed.

Added benefit is you'll have AC in the summer.
Thanks for the input. I don't think a programmable thermostat would be beneficial in my case, I never know when I'll be in the garage and instead of kicking the heat up I'll be firing up a wood burner to cut heating cost. The woodburner will likely be running Fri-Sun.

Go with the ceiling hung unit and keep it around 65°. It will dry off your vehicles faster in the winter reducing corrosion. Skip the wood .. might give your insurance man a pay raise.

I have friends that use those Central Boilers ,some use wood some us corn,then I have a friend that has a very large wood furnace inside ,,me I like the radiant heat tube system

In the winter time a heart pump works by pulling heat from outside and dumping it inside - as it gets colder, the efficiency drops - that's always been my complaint of the heat pumps .

In the winter time a heart pump works by pulling heat from outside and dumping it inside - as it gets colder, the efficiency drops - that's always been my complaint of the heat pumps .

True, but modern ones are way better and can work well below freezing.

Auto Transport Service
Back