• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would be your choice if you had only...... !!!

67coronetman

Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
So if you had to make a choice on a engine build and you where allowed to only have enough money to make ( 4 ) upgrades on your build what would they be and why...

Keep in mind this is going to be a street motor 90% of the time & only see 10% Track Time what would be the ( 4 ) most important upgrades you would make..

Attachments

• Charger MORE rat 5.jpg
    Charger MORE rat 5.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 395
Hemi
1. Dual carbs... (as I have) not Cross ram
2. TTI headers (as I have)
3. AC mod...(as I have)
4. Bigger Cam...(as I dont have)

Just two for me.
1) Top end
2) Bottom end

1 carb/intake 2 cam/lifters 3 exhaust (headers) 4 Heads/ port job

Sorry, BUT it takes more than 4 items to work properly

Performance 101 :headbang:
what comes in must go out...

#1 better properly sized Carb & aluminum Intake, dual plane for the street,
vacuum secondary carb especially if it's an automatic
add a Gauze type air filter element {like K&N}, to suit your specific needs, free flow is key here

#2 Better & preferably some nice aluminum heads, hard seats, ported never hurts,
helps even a mild build significantly, to do a set of "older" OE iron heads properly,
you'll spend as much almost or even more than a good set of something like,
E-street or RPM Edelbrock or some other alum. heads
Good flowing heads are probably the "best spent" money on a performance type build,
iron heads {unless they're ported & have hardened seats & machined guides & better seals}
& lack of their flow capability in stock configuration, they're main choke point of "most" all Mopar engines,
BB wedges especially... money is well spent on the cylinder heads

#3 better free flowing exhaust, tuned well fitting headers will help considerably
{don't be cheap here, TTI's, Dougs or Schumacher Creative Services}
& larger properly sized mandrel bent exhaust tubing, all the way out the rear
& h or X pipe & free flowing performance mufflers...

#4 better camshaft {don't over cam it for the street} & valve-train,
designed for what it's intended to be used for, also goes along with
#2 matched valve springs, retainers, seals, locks, lifters, adj. rockers, better pushrods etc.,
all to fit your specific camshaft & your expectations & needs/driving style...

should also add a good quality distributor & coil, to fire that fuel more effectively/efficiently...
#5 a good quality "hotter" ignition system, CEI with longer dwell &/or MSD multi-spack,
along with quality utra-low ohm resistance plug wires & proper coil is a must too....

#6 That's all assuming you already have the bottom end machining done well & balanced,
with good rods {resized & new ARP rod bolts at a min}, quality crank machining/balancing & lightening
quality bearings, rings, something around 10:1 compression pistons street friendly &
still make decent power {hypertech @ min.}
opt. maybe studs in-place of bolts, for better more even clamping on the surfaces, line bored accordingly,
bored & honed accordingly, with torque plates installed,
also using quality hardware & quality gaskets everywhere {the bottom end isn't a place to skimp}...

optional,
Helps to make it all work better as a complete combo...
proper gear ratios to suit your style of build & driving needs,
better converter or better clutch, along with the gears, to match the camshaft & performance/drivability
maybe even an overdrive like a Gear Venders unit, to make the driving experience better/cheaper on fuel
good sway bars front & rear, to help keep the body roll at a min.
good quality gas shocks {@ a min., adj. even better} shocks front & rear,
to stabilize the ride quality/handling
lighter/wider rims & better wider tires,
better brakes {disc. conversion front @ a min.}
& quality hi-psi flex lines, front & rear etc...

that way you have a total package

As Bud mentioned it takes more than a few parts but given you had a good motor with good compression to start with it would be.

#1 a good set of heads

#2 intake

#3 Carb

#4 Cam

But in all honesty I'd prefer 1 upgrade........... a 572 Hemi

As Bud mentioned it takes more than a few parts but given you had a good motor with good compression to start with it would be.

#1 a good set of heads

#2 intake

#3 Carb

#4 Cam

But in all honesty I'd prefer 1 upgrade........... a 572 Hemi

Well I got that covered and then some

Attachments

• NEW HEMI2.jpg
    NEW HEMI2.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 207
Forged pistons, good fuel pump, Turbo, blow through E-85 carb.
Doug

Another Hemi after my first i could never go back to a wedge.
But if your asking generic Engine/

1. Great quality heads can't do any better or more to an engine unless have great flowing heads, it is in my opinion tjhe number one thing that affects every other item you try to build into motor.
2. Single 950 CFM Holley or Quick Fuel Carb.
3. Oil valley return to pan out side of block. Saves a ton of Power from no oil turblance on crank.
4. A stroker kit.
Forget he headers on a street motor they create to many issues for wires, Starters and just a pain.
5. A Air fuel Meter to tune. I know i gave 5 so sue me.
6. Rocker arms with bronze bushings. No aluminum rockers adj stock.

Auto Transport Service
Back