FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:48 AM
Reaction score

747mopar

Local time
Reaction score
Good info guys.. I bought my first cleaning tank maybe 5 years ago, started off using kerosene but it got almost toxic, switched to a water based cleaner and now it gets a nasty skim on it and does a lousy job. Might try some mineral spirits next.

Cranky

Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
Good info guys.. I bought my first cleaning tank maybe 5 years ago, started off using kerosene but it got almost toxic, switched to a water based cleaner and now it gets a nasty skim on it and does a lousy job. Might try some mineral spirits next.
Yeah, kero gets me too but the mineral spirits ain't much better.....

69L48Z27

Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
I use the Tractor Supply stuff. Works pretty well. Gotta wear gloves. Makes your hands feel all tingly if you don’t.

Sixpactogo

Local time
Reaction score
Not sure if they call it Mineral Spirits or something else but I buy it from the local bulk oil dealer. Smells like mineral spirits but cheaper than buying from a hardware store. I have a couple 5 gal cans I use for transport.

Scott Engelhardt

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
I have a Renegade high pressure washer. I turn the heater on and when it hits 180 I close the lid and let the washer do the work

mopar 3 B

Local time
Reaction score
Mineral spirits will not freeze. Some of us live in cold climates. For small parts I use brake clean but it gets expensive fast when cleaning anything of size.
I know it can be dangerous but save stale gas for parts cleaning. Then off to the burn barrel.

Photon440

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:48 AM
Reaction score
11MA53_AS01?$mdmain$.jpg

69 GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using a filter to clean and then reuse their solvent? What'd ya use?

Demonic

Local time
Reaction score
Varsol is great, but maybe hard to find here in the States.

joe smith

Local time
Reaction score
I have a Renegade high pressure washer. I turn the heater on and when it hits 180 I close the lid and let the washer do the work
I looked those up.. That would be the top of the line way to go.. Out of my budget for sure

Scott Engelhardt

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
I looked those up.. That would be the top of the line way to go.. Out of my budget for sure
I watched Craigslist for a year or more when I found mine. Mine was a dealer demo machine and I got mine bought for 1200 dollars. If I would have been smart I would have bought the other one and the manual one he was also selling, think I could have made some $$$$$$

joe smith

Local time
Reaction score
I watched Craigslist for a year or more when I found mine. Mine was a dealer demo machine and I got mine bought for 1200 dollars. If I would have been smart I would have bought the other one and the manual one he was also selling, think I could have made some $$$$$$
That would be one of those gadgets that you can't wait to have some dirty parts to throw in it.....

halfafish

Local time
12:48 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using a filter to clean and then reuse their solvent? What'd ya use?

My washer is the HF 20 gallon model with the water-based cleaner I get in 5-gallon cans from NAPA. I upgraded the pump a lot, which was a great idea. Then I added a filter, using a remote oil filter setup like you'd put on your car. It makes a world of difference. Looking in the the tank the fluid is pretty scuzzy. Turn on the pump and you get nice clear cleaner for your parts. Works like a champ. The only thing I don't like about the NAPA stuff is it's a little expensive but mostly it just plain stinks. I wear gloves always because you can't scrub the smell off your hands and it lasts for days.

furyus

Local time
Reaction score
I have an old Safety Clean parts washer. I was using kerosene. This thread got me looking for alternatives. I drained the parts washer, and after scrubbing, I noticed a pin hole in the bottom. After even more cleaning, I found more pin holes. I had to cut the whole bottom out, and welded a new bottom in. So, how do I get rust holes in the bottom when it's submerged in kerosene? Now, I'm trying Purple Power. Doesn't stink near as bad as kerosene.

69 MBee

Local time
Reaction score
Low odor Sherwin Williams R1K4 thinner/mineral spirits. If you want a bit more edge/heat, add xylene