Whats everybody using in there solvent tank

Shop, Garage and Tools

1. 451Mopar

451Mopar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:06 AM
    Have the regular solvent type parts cleaner that I got from Duggan Petroleum. They also sell race gas.
    Hard on your hands/skin if you don't wear gloves.

I don't know what the transmission shop used, but I think it was water based, and pretty easy on the hands.
    I didn't use water base, because the Solvent tank is in a unheated garage, near the garage door, and it would freeze in the winter.

2. 493 Mike

493 Mike FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
    4:06 AM
    Kerosene is lighter than water so the water sits in the bottom, and rust never sleeps!
    Mike

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dave Eamon

Dave Eamon Member

Local Time:
      I washed my '75 400 - 4 Barrel with Super Clean. The Super Clean was pretty friendly, but I did the entire job wearing heavy black nitrile gloves. Although a pair of gloves only lasted about four or five hours, a box of 50 gloves is about $25 Canadian. I then washed the engine with dish soap and water and then brake parts cleaner before repainting. The engine was clean and dry before the repaint. So far, so good.

• 451Mopar

451Mopar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Don't use superClean or Sams Purple Cleaner on polished aluminum, it will etch the aluminum.

• Thrashingcows

Thrashingcows Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      1:06 AM
      As mentioned you can put the fluid in a pail and wait for it to settle out, works pretty well but can take weeks to a month or more for it to settle. I have used paper towels set in a funnel and slowly pour the fluid through. Or pick up a few of those small Fram G2 canister type inline filters and run the fluid through that....gravity or with a small transfer pump.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • 6PKRTSE

6PKRTSE Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        3:06 AM
        I have 142 flash solvent in my 10 gal parts cleaning tank. It's old and dirty. I just give a final spray rinse with brake cleaner once all the heavy grease and sludge are removed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.