• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel hub problem's

Recently installed new lug studs in my front drums. Had both the drum and hub off the car and when i test fitted them together i noticed some of the lug stud shoulders were really tight in the drum holes causing the drum to not sit flush all the way down on the hub. Not sure if the lug studs shoulders were slightly oversized or the studs didn't get pressed in straight but i made them fit by slightly touching the drum holes with a round file and rolled up sandpaper. Anwyays my point is to make sure the drum is seated all the way down on the hub.

Edit: Forgot to mention the drums were brand new.

It's a shame, but you almost have to assume the new Chinese drums will need to be turned. You might as well turn your old drums.
The problem is if your old drums are gonna end up oversize, finding someone to turn them anyway.
I agree.

I also had new front drums not fit and lay flat on the hubs. I ground some off the studs to make them fit better. This was on a 65 Dart.

Well my bad. Must have used the old one. If they where not bad that is what I did. But I bought so much new stuff and it has been a while since doing them guess I forgot. LOL. I know you had done your research when doing your brake job. So now this makes me think the drum's are still my problem. Shoot.
Oh, I don't doubt it was the drum. All the Chinese in the manufacturing these days....a lot of junk results.

A good machine shop should get them true, however - since drums depend on the hubs' center to align
themselves (not the lugs) and the machine shop is going to chuck the drum up using that same centering hole,
whatever is wonky will show up on the lathe in a hurry.

It's easy to see any issue with the old factory hubs with just your eyes by spinning it on the spindle,
so if it's good and the drum centers on it, then all should be well with a proper torqueing of the lug nuts
once all is back together and the wheel is put on.
Proper, even torqueing of the lugs is VERY important, both for disc brakes and drum brakes.

Got back home from having them turned one more time and put them on. Reset the shoes and it feels a lot better. Now think I need to have the back ones turned also. Thanks for the info. Blue.

Auto Transport Service
Back