• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel sizes for a 70 Charger? Summit Weld Clones?

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
Looking to run a 295/50/r15 on the rear. For a 15x10 would 5 or 5.5” BS likely fit best? I’d prefer the tire not touch the lip of the fender or rub.

What do most people like up front? 15x7? 15x6? What sort of backspacing?

I’m looking into the Summit Quick 8 rims for something cheap and half decent for now. They arent real draglites, but even 15x10s are only like $150 each. I’m considering these or Bassett steel rims. Anyone else have any experience with them?

FF9A0CAE-4B2A-4558-A119-50ECDBF2AEC5.jpeg

15x10's on the back of a RR will definitely work, but the backspacing has to be dead nuts. Every car is different, so you will have to measure yours to buy exactly what you need. It will be between 5 and 5.5 with a stock rearend and no tubbing.

I believe the OP had Charger in the title.
I have an 18x10 in the back with 4 3/4” back spacing. This puts the tire about an inch from the leaf springs. More back spacing would work but it gets tight!

I believe the OP had Charger in the title.
I have an 18x10 in the back with 4 3/4” back spacing. This puts the tire about an inch from the leaf springs. More back spacing would work but it gets tight!
Ahh, yes you are correct. I didn't read well enough. Second gen Chargers have more room in the back compared to RR's. Still have to get the correct backspacing, but not as critical as on a Plymouth.

Ahh, yes you are correct. I didn't read well enough. Second gen Chargers have more room in the back compared to RR's. Still have to get the correct backspacing, but not as critical as on a Plymouth.
i just notice 15x10s with 5 BS tend to stick out pretty close to the fender lips from photos I have seen. I just don’t want to buy the wrong size lol. For what it’s worth, it’s a Dana 60 car.

Imo, more backspace is always better. If it rubs the springs, spacers can fix that and put the tire Exactly where you want it. Too little backspace, and it rubs the fender, all you can do is put on a smaller tire.

i just notice 15x10s with 5 BS tend to stick out pretty close to the fender lips from photos I have seen. I just don’t want to buy the wrong size lol. For what it’s worth, it’s a Dana 60 car.
Bolt some 15x8's on the car after measuring the bs. Then you can measure exactly what will fit by going to a 10". This is the only way you will know for certain what fits your car. If you want to gamble, order the 5.5" bs and run spacers if they rub on the inner fenders...

If kern Dog is on 4 3/4 bs then 5 bs brings you another 1/4 away from the fender lip.

I'm 4 1/4 bs on 15x10s different car and set up, but even before I lifted it the 295/50 15s cleared that lip (dangerously close btw).
R.png

i just notice 15x10s with 5 BS tend to stick out pretty close to the fender lips from photos I have seen.
Not the case here.

E7302CD0-E6D4-4153-A369-A4C44D99482A.jpeg

EE95B178-EF46-4BE1-ACDD-801011B0E3C4.jpeg

Granted, these are 18” wheels, the width is actually wider given that these are aluminum wheels. I could measure “front spacing” to see how much wheel and tire sit out from the mounting face.

Last edited:
What works best up front?
I have used a 15x6 on my car (factory stock on mine) with 235/70x15. Tire is probably a bit wide for the rim width.
15x7 is almost always a good fit for the front, with somewhere around 3 7/8-4" backspace. 15x8 can be done with the exact right backspace (probably 4 1/2).

We have the quick 8 rims on our 65 dart but from jegs...funny...all thats different is the decal on the center cap.
I dont think that brand offers a 15x6 wheel only a 15x7. Not real impressed with how they get there backspacing, the lugnuts get pretty deep in the wheel. I think the rims are pretty sharp though, especially for the $.
On the cragars on our 69 charger we switched to 15x6 on the front. It drives better now under acceleration with the suspension travel at the top end of the travel. We run Mickey ss streets on the back 295/65r15 on 15x8 4.5"bs. Ours look to have room for a 15x10 because there is a pretty good space from the back of the rim to the spring, but i haven't measured it.. But Our 30 inch tall rears hit occasionally on the outside of the inner fender with a car load of people.

Screenshot_20221122_194625.jpg

Last edited:
I have used a 15x6 on my car (factory stock on mine) with 235/70x15. Tire is probably a bit wide for the rim width.
15x7 is almost always a good fit for the front, with somewhere around 3 7/8-4" backspace. 15x8 can be done with the exact right backspace (probably 4 1/2).
You can fit a 9" wheel up front, maybe even a 10" if all conditions are just right.
18 x 9" wheel, 275-40-18 tire:

1 A.jpg

10.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back