• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheels up

kiwigtx

Henchman #4 and Jack-Stand Racer #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:36 PM
Reaction score
Not quite...but maybe one day. A big investment to go bouncing down the quarter mile.

Anyway....skipping right along, I finished up a total re-wire of the A100 a few days ago.
Yesterday was the first chance to check what I had tested, and actually light that candle. :lol:
A couple of things I forgot to do.....left the protective cover on the Sniper - of course it starved immediately from lack of air.....at least I know its a good seal. I also had to correct the pink wire status....needs to be 'hot' on IGN 1 and IGN 2....easy fixed with a jumper at the switch. Alternator is now a one-wire.....single groove, and the belts are aligned nicely. Hopefully no more flicking off when I pull a few revs.

So I'll be back later on today hopefully with some more pics and video. I have just finished a quick clean ready for a run down south to visit the old guy with a large tractor collection.
Here's the video with the first fire-up....

Big thanks to @moparsaver again for his extra help in tracking down a few parts, and shipping them out to me. And all for the price of less than a small washing machine. :lol:

Now that I can read my speed in kms.....I don't have to do mental gymnastics every time I go to a different speed zone. Although it's going to make working out the miles per gallon a bit more challenging. :rolleyes:

Damn that looks clean. I like the gauges...the oil pressure looks as it could be stock.
I often forget that you're from NZ....the accent caught me off guard.
My brother went to OZ in 1986 or so....the locals would LOVE to hear him talk. In 2012, an Aussie came to the states and we met at a car show. It was interesting to hear him speak. He used most of the same words but the context was slightly different. I love the differences we have and how it makes us unique.
That is wild looking down the throat of the throttle body and seeing the spritz of fuel.
Is that a GM based HEI distributor? I actually liked that setup. Coil and all contained in one unit.

At first thought about the speedometer was that you were being a bit optimistic lol

You do very nice work, sir.
A bit more complicated than stock, sure....but nice.

Damn that looks clean. I like the gauges... the oil pressure looks as it could be stock.
I often forget that you're from NZ.... the accent caught me off guard.
My brother went to OZ in 1986 or so.... the locals would LOVE to hear him talk. In 2012, an Aussie came to the states and we met at a car show. It was interesting to hear him speak. He used most of the same words but the context was slightly different. I love the differences we have and how it makes us unique.
That is wild looking down the throat of the throttle body and seeing the spritz of fuel.
Is that a GM based HEI distributor? I actually liked that setup. Coil and all contained in one unit.
Yes, the distributor is a GM inspired HEI unit - built-in coil.... I just bought a one-piece connector - current one is a two-piece. It was all I could find at the time.

Happily I can report that the engine starts immediately every time now. That makes a big change from having a few attempts. Looking forward to some fine-tuning in a few weeks.

The oil pressure gauge is stock... a very rare piece also. I bought that one through Tom as well. The thread had me fooled for a few weeks. I bought sets of thread gauges to see what it was. Turns out that it's an 'AN' thread - internal with an external 'AN' thread also. I am using the external to clamp the gauge to the dash frame, and the internal AN to accept the new -3AN flexible line I had custom-built recently.

The blue nut in the picture is one of Earl's.

20230825_155138.jpg
20230922_064408.jpg
20230922_064420.jpg

The oil pressure gauge confuses me. I would have expected a L and H (low and high) instead of actual numbers.
The HEI....I had a few Chevys before coming back to Mopars in the mid 90s. The HEI was a decent system.
Does it feel strange to sit right over the front tires when driving? It seems that it would feel odd being that far forward.

The oil pressure gauge confuses me. I would have expected a L and H (low and high) instead of actual numbers.
The HEI....I had a few Chevys before coming back to Mopars in the mid 90s. The HEI was a decent system.
Does it feel strange to sit right over the front tires when driving? It seems that it would feel odd being that far forward.
It is a unique experience, although my daily driver work van is laid out very similar. Cab-over Toyota Hiace.
I guess I am used to driving it, although it is a more exhilarating experience. :steering: My A100 actually came with an idiot light for the oil pressure.....so I searched out the proper gauge. It did take a while, but Tom came through with one. I have been using an Australian Valiant temperature gauge for the oil. No numbers on the face - just the lines.....and it worked well enough - I understood the needle positions.

Picture taken a few months before re-wiring....
20230226_130137.jpg

That whole driving while sitting over the front wheels thing brings back memories...
The family rig when I came of driving age was a '73 VW bus (the first year they used the Porsche 914
engines in them). I can still remember beating hell out of that poor thing and what the driving
sensation was like - it was actually a very tail-heavy rig and the nose was light.
Your frontal collision protection was next to nil as well, obviously. :eek:

My goal sometimes was to try to get the thing to pull the front wheels on takeoff - and with some
backwards rolling prior to dumping the clutch, we got real close. :)
'Course, I eventually blew up the transaxle on the thing too...but luckily, it happened when Pop
was driving it one day.
Whew. :lol:

Looks even better than expected Roger. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Magnificent :drinks:
Tom, I am happy to report the speedometer works perfectly....and is accurate also. My friend who followed me in his C7 'Vette on Saturday was most impressed. He said I 'could have' done the calculation and upped the odometer reading to reflect the actual distance travelled in kms.....but also said it might booger up the digits if done wrong. I'm happy to leave it untouched. If I sell the truck, the new owner gets to see the old reading anyway.

Installing the new speedometer and the re-wire gave me the perfect excuse to replace the tired speedo cable.....lucky I did because it fell apart when removed.

Auto Transport Service
Back