• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where were you, In the summer of '73? American Graffitti turns 50 years old.

SteveSS

Local time
4:04 AM
Reaction score
The movie asks, "Where were you in '62?" The movie lifted George Lucas up to stardom and to a galaxy far, far away. This monster hit stuck a chord with America. Since I graduated in '75 we were very much into the 50's nostalgia movement. I had my '66 Mustang fastback but I had a '56 Ford pickup with flames and a yellow '47 Chevy business coupe. We had 50's days at school and 50's dances on the weekends.

Customers car

863D64C4-FDA1-4609-8EC8-03F91F04D403.jpeg

I can't believe that was 50 years ago! I remember Suzanne Somers being on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson to hype the movie. She walked out on the stage wearing a slinky blue gown. I almost swallowed my tongue. She was gorgeous!

Summer of 73, i was still in the city of Waterbury, CT. where i grew up, just waiting a few more weeks into September, after Labor Day, waiting to go into the Air Force, with my delayed enlistment date.
Did 7 years, from 73 to 80.

I turned 16 late that summer, got my drivers license and Dad bought me a 67 Camaro....was the best year of my life....a car and gas money and girls....and the world was waiting for me with her secrets to be discovered....

I just watched it the other night. Still awesome!

First where's Kern Dog? Could we get a spell check on the thread title please... American Graffiti

Cruising the streets in Modesto Ca.... George Lucas' childhood home was less than 1/4 mile from my home at the time.... I attended the same HS & Community College, know plenty of guys that were in George's graduating class....

Last edited:
I was 10 taking anything I got my hands on apart and driving my Mom crazy. Happy Mothers day Mom, miss you all the time.

I was a partying fool. Got out of the military Aug 73.

Working at the grocery store everyday except Sunday; and mowing a few yards.

Last edited:
Yes it’s on Netflix right now

Was nice with the Ladies and some replica cars from the movie at Iola Old Car Show last year

Bo Hopkins was supposed to bee there but passed away before the show - RIP

And of course Cindy Williams passed away this year - RIP

Was a treat meeting her in Iola and talking

I was in grade school with a bucket of popcorn at the movie theater watching American Graffiti. That movie certainly influenced classic cars interests.

I was driving a 57 fuelie hardtop, working for Alta Dena dairy in southern california, making $2.15/hr. And putting a 327/turbo350/narrowed 8 3/4 in a Vega.

And seeing American Grafitti five times in the theater..... along with Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein at around that same time, give or take a year or two......

And wasn't that about the same time as the first gas crises, where gas doubled from 25 cents to 50? (100% inflation......just like now)

Last edited:
There used to be a Cruise in Car Show here in London, Ontario, on the Plunkett estate. Steve is our version of Jay Leno; very rich, very crazy about cars, and very likeable/approachable. He usually arranged to have car and '60's relatable guests show up at his annual show. George Barris and some of creations showed up, as well as the original Barman and Robin. He had some of the Dukes of Hazzard personalities come, and often Bo Hopkins, Candy Clark, and Cindy Williams from American Graffiti. There used to be 4-5,000 card show up at this weekend charity event. Steve did it for about 10 years. He still has a Thursday night Cruise in on his estate.

I was 9, riding my Golden Pinto minibike. Yup that bad boy had 3 1/2 horse power. I still rid it once and a while. I guess a boy never gets over his first love.

Things sure changed a lot from 1962 to 1973. If they made a movie now and asked "Where were you in 2012", there wouldn't be as many changes.

I was half way between marriage (1971) and fatherhood (1975). Where has the time gone?

Auto Transport Service
Back