• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where were you, In the summer of '73? American Graffitti turns 50 years old.

Well, lets see. In 1973 I was 22 years old and was getting out of the Regular Army and transferring into the Reserve to complete my 6 year obligation. I was waiting to go into a vocational school to learn how to become a mechanic under the Vietnam era GI Bill. I was driving a nearly new dark green 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring with the 383 ci V-8 and I partied hearty every night it seems. Sure wish I could have some of those days to relive again.

I was 5.

...but my Satellite was born in Feb/March of 73.

I remember the first time I saw that movie, though. Probably around 1977. Instantly LOVED it.

I believe the channel was changed to it right about the time they chained the cop car axle to the post.

I clearly remember "the 1950's" being super popular as a theme during the late 70's and very early 80's.

IE Sha, na , na.

Although I always suspected AG was actually set in the very early 60's due to the characters having late 50's cars which would not have been brand new for high school kids.

The cop car was actually a complete anachronism, as it was way older than the 58 impala of Ron Howard.
What PD keeps their cars for 6 years plus?
Actually, the cop car that Richard Dreyfus chained the rear axle to a post so that it would rip out it's third member was a 1961 Ford, (fullsize) if I'm not mistaken. That would make it a newer car than the 1958 Chevy Impala that Opie was driving around.

Actually, the cop car that Richard Dreyfus chained the rear axle to a post so that it would rip out it's third member was a 1961 Ford, (fullsize) if I'm not mistaken. That would make it a newer car than the 1958 Chevy Impala that Opie was driving around.
Already been brought up.

In July of '73, I was sent from Alabama to Denver on a business trip. My wife and 3-year-old son went with me, and we drove our '69 Charger (bought new, and still have it - currently finishing a year in professional restoration). This was the beginning of the '73 gas crisis, with long lines at gas stations in some places, so I had some concern about finding gas on the way (fueling up to begin the trip: 16.7 gallons of premium, $7.00). No problems getting gas, though, and we enjoyed the trip, including driving the car up Pikes Peak. On the way up the mountain, I kept coming up on slower cars (with auto trannies, probably) and having to stop to keep from running into them. The 383 HP, Carter 4-bbl, and 4-speed did not want to work together to move again after each stop, but eventually we made it to the top.

The only problem finding gas was in Denver itself. I learned quickly that if I didn't get out very early and top up the tank, I was in for a long wait. No problems again all the way home, with gas, that is. Late at night, after coming cross-country on two-lanes for a while, we hit I-40 in Tennessee and about a mile later the right front tire blew out, damaging the rear of the fender, knocking off the original Chrysler Pentastar emblem, and breaking loose the welded reinforcing strap at the top of the wheelwell. The strap stayed loose until the current restoration, and the damaged fender (repaired by the dealer) was finally repaired correctly by Barr's Classic Auto Restorations in Greenville, NC.

I graduated from high school that June. Spent the summer working 12 hour days on the family farm. $75 dollars a week and every other Sunday off.

18 years old and at a rehab center
learning how to walk again. Hit a tree
on a snowmobile at about 70 mph.
6 weeks in traction, 6 months in a
full body cast, about 6 months
previous to the movie release.
Cruising across a froze-over lake.
preoccupied with a stuck throttle
and didn't notice how much ground
I covered in a short period of time.
Paralyzed braceal plexus, broken
right hip, right femur broken in two
places.
Didn't get a chance to watch the movie until 1975.
Still carried on with a 47 year career,
47 years married, 7 grandkids, and
multiple car projects. Finishing up
on what will probably be my last one.

Last edited:
The movie asks, "Where were you in '62?" The movie lifted George Lucas up to stardom and to a galaxy far, far away. This monster hit stuck a chord with America. Since I graduated in '75 we were very much into the 50's nostalgia movement. I had my '66 Mustang fastback but I had a '56 Ford pickup with flames and a yellow '47 Chevy business coupe. We had 50's days at school and 50's dances on the weekends.
I was 9 years old living in Plymouth Vermont, my dad was a State Trooper and had the sweetest big block Fury for a patrol car! (My first exposure to Mopar) I still can hear that baby fire up on those subzero mornings! Green/yellow paint scheme!

17. Chasing tail, drinkin', cruisin' Gratiot. Bout sums it up.

I was getting ready to start my last year of college at KU trying to get an engineering degree. I don’t think I actually saw the movie until late 74 when I was out in the real world of actually trying to make a living. It reminded me a lot of my high school days. I regretted that at college the car culture thing got sort of lost with all the social drama of Vietnam, the drugs scene, the hippy culture, etc.

I was a Junior in High School, and street racing a 1970 340 Dart 4-speed. The little town we lived in was like American Graffiti every Saturday night. Cruising up main street through the park and turn around at the A&W, chasing women, and drinking beer out on a gravel road, waiting for the drag races to start on Hwy Y. Parties at the old lime quarry, yep those were some special times that will never come back.

Lived in Vallejo, CA. Working at a service station. We cruised up to Petaluma several evenings but couldn’t cruise on the main drags. Cops had all the streets blocked off. They wanted period correct cars however there were a few late model Cameros that got in. I belive a few were caught on film.

73 just being a 10 year old kid in a rural town back then. My pops had a 70 Z28, 331 small block, cross ram setup, 4spd, 456 gears. I could hear him coming miles away. Saturday mornings was my favorite day, most kids were playing baseball. My morning consisted of riding in that Z going to the local bank, so he could deposit his check. On way back, he would slow down look over & I had a grin ear to ear. You know the rest. I have had plenty of guys back from back in the day, come up to me & ask if I was his son, the stories about that black Z, it was one bad *** ride. He’s 80 now & has a 55 Belair, 454, 4spd, when he fires it up….. his grin is just like mine when I was that kid in 73

College during the day... Weekend nights hunting for action with my 6-barrel. ( Action = females and drag-races) I tell people, I lived the east coast version of that movie.

23 years old, working in the steel mill driving a 71 challenger.

My parents went on their honeymoon in September 1955, in a ‘55 Bel Air 2 door sedan. It was turquoise and white. I’ve seen it in old 8mm home movies. It had to be the 6 as my Dad was polishing the trunk and it didn’t have the “V’s” under the taillights. That’s one Chevy I wouldn’t mind having. I wouldn’t radius the rear wheel openings but I’d hot rod it. Rat motor for sure.

In '73 I was 26, and after seeing this movie I thought that '62 was such a long time ago. I'll be 76 this summer and both "62 and '73 seem like they were only years ago. I have a great memory of all that has past but can't remember where I put my keys 20 minutes ago.

Summer of '73 just graduated H.S. and worked six days a week (minimum wage @ $1.65/hour) at my first job in a Chevron Service Station.

I wasn't even a blip on the radar. My parents were both still in high school in 73 ( they graduated in '76) and I didn't come along for another 10 years. I do love American Graffiti, however...

Auto Transport Service
Back