• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where's that noise coming from?

Hell just wrapping my brain on this after 30 years and make it fun as hell for wifie to drive.

From what I could hear, sure sounds like an exhaust leak. OR a loose spark plug. OR--the fan is clipping your newly-installed shroud just a bit. Inspect closely. Unless parts are all the original factory-installed pieces, fitment issues are always a possibility unfortunately, even if they're the 'right' parts.

To locate an exhaust leak get a long piece of 5/16 fuel line. Put one end in your ear and move the other one over the manifold .... To check for lifter or internal noise get a long screw driver and place tip around on head with handle in ear,,,,

I used a bottle of soapy water to find my exhaust leak....start the car up when cold and quickly spray around the manifold before it gets too hot. Bubbles will show exactly where the leak is.

A piece of small diameter hose held to your ear or a stethoscope with probe removed. Probe around spark plugs, manifold, pipe. Very easy to hear exhaust leaks with this method. Simple and quick.
Doug

From what I could hear, sure sounds like an exhaust leak. OR a loose spark plug. OR--the fan is clipping your newly-installed shroud just a bit. Inspect closely. Unless parts are all the original factory-installed pieces, fitment issues are always a possibility unfortunately, even if they're the 'right' parts.

I was thinking fan shroud also. Something that they touched that created a noise that wasn't there before. Blown exhaust gasket, if the mechanic took it out for a joy ride :rolleyes:

Today i had no time so i will look tomorrow.
But we already checked the fan/shroud clearance and it does not seem to be the problem.

But given the replys i also bet exhaust or spark plug.
We've also got a cheap mechanic stethoskop, might be helpful amongst the other tips. :)

Today its raining so i did not pull it out for a test drive.
Its a bit strange.

I had it running in park and neutral and revved it up a bit.
Its not (or almost not) making the "ticking" sound then.

But i definitely hear an exhaust leak. NO DOUBT AT ALL.

So basically 2 options:

1.It has an exhaust leak and something else is wrong which is responsible for the "ticking" (Which is only really noticable when you drive, not in neutral/park gear)

2.Something progressed on the ride 2 days ago and so has the sound

It could be that the ticking comes from the fan clutch.
As already said the shroud/fan clearance is good but i think to hear the clutch making a little noise on idling so its probably shot.
Could this be an explanation for the "ticking" that is only really present when you drive? not when you rev it up in neutral or park mode?

Or can an exhaust leak make different sounds when reving it up in neutral/park than when your actually moving in drive?

Edit:

What speaks against the transmission/torque converter or fan clutch is that i think the sound comes mainly from the driver side.

You can look for carbon soot around the exhaust manifold/header which will show where the leak is. If you have headers the collector flange is a good place to look also.

To answer your question, an exhaust leak can change with rpm, normally will quieten some when warmed up and can sound different from inside the car.

If you have a helper you can have them hold something on the end of the tailpipe to create some back pressure and you listen under the hood for a hissing sound.

To answer your question, an exhaust leak can change with rpm, normally will quieten some when warmed up and can sound different from inside the car.

But the "ticking" is* only present when driving (d position)
When i rev it up in neutral or park (up to 3000rpm) it does not or almost not "tick". Then it just sounds like a regular exhaust leak.

* If its still there. Wasn't driving today because of rain.
Today i just had it running/revving in neutral and park while 2 days ago i was driving in d position.

Maybe something changed.
Or maybe its got 2 different problems.

I will look further into this.

Another thing I almost forgot about would be the bell housing shield that allows access to the torque converter. Four small bolts holding it on. It could be bent or not installed properly.

You weren't driving it in your video were you?

Another thing I almost forgot about would be the bell housing shield that allows access to the torque converter. Four small bolts holding it on. It could be bent or not installed properly

Yes i will check everything exhaust, transmission, spark plugs, fan clutch and so on.
Need to jack it up on the weekend and look together with my dad.

You weren't driving it in your video were you?

In the video you see it accelerating from a dead stop. (0-something)

Since i picked up my car from the shop its making this "ticking" noise.
See attached video. Already pulled the valve cover but everything looks to be okay. (Now back on)

My guesses (im not a professional mechanic / sure though):
- It seems like it comes from the driver side.
- It also seems to get louder as you accelerate.
- For me it seems like its not coming out of the engine itself. The engine is also running just fine.

View attachment 1024624

@themechanic dont really know what you want to say.
But its not the turn signal as i noticed in the video was on. (Just in case you meant that)

Another way to check for an exhaust leak is to pour a little oil down the carb with the engine running. Smoke will come out where the leak is.

I got a smoke machine.
It would probably be a great idea to use that for finding the leak?

Auto Transport Service
Back