• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Engine Paint do you like?

Road Grabber

Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
I have a 383 out for repainting and fresh heads. I could use some feedback from those who have had success with engine paints.

I haven't had much luck with the VHT spray. Even with a fresh block washed and degreased engine block. Eventually it bubbles and flakes.

I met someone recently that did like the POR paint. I also saw a YouTube on epoxy engine paint?

What would you do if you had to paint an engine that could not be dipped because I am reusing the assembled short block?

Any advise for prep and paint?

Thanks in advance

Any good automotive acrylic urethane will work great.

epoxy primer under the topcoat is even better

Mineral spirits and a selection of good brushes.

the epoxy primer will adhere to the cleaned block nicely.

I really like por 15 engine enamel, i reduce it and spray it, flows out great and is very durable. I just use Gunk to degrease then several cans of brake clean solvent and air dry as a prep.

I really like por 15 engine enamel, i reduce it and spray it, flows out great and is very durable. I just use Gunk to degrease then several cans of brake clean solvent and air dry as a prep.
Curious. What do you reduce POR with? That stuff dries hard as nails. What do you clean your gun with?

Epoxy primer and eastwood hemi orange. I’ve used it on a few engines now.

CFDC4F05-8DC5-4D4B-AFD1-545967D3EB7A.jpeg
0AA72622-6543-45DE-A7FE-65FB5C96E8ED.jpeg

The last several engines get a good cleaning with wax and grease remover, blow everything out with compressed air. The PPG Shopline epoxy primer then JEA Shopline singles stage. Costs a bit more than a rattle can.

I used the Eastwood hemi orange it’s urethane at least what I used was. It went on really well guess I’ll know how well it holds up later on.
6F65D3DF-8C7F-41C4-ADC0-6149FD674159.jpeg

I used Delfleet Essential on the advise of the my supplier. They advised this stuff is GREAAAT for engines (high heat). They have never given me bad advice so I went with it.

IMG_4183.jpg
IMG_4182.jpg

If you can seal up the block really well, the Purple Stuff degreaser washed down with water and blowdried can do a good job degreasing for paint. Will on GYC seems to prefer black PPG epoxy primer DP 90 as his base priming for all his engine paint color choices. I have used several other cheaper choices in epoxy primers and just not happy with them, so, just done my first one with DP 90 and single stage. Will comment on how it holds up when I get er fired up and moving about......

I like the paint by Bill Hirsch. The coverage per can is really good, lots of solids.

Still looking for a quality paint in the correct shade for a maxwedge (race hemi orange, very yellowish). I can tell you what i DONT like. Factory mopar spraycans are expensive garbage. The paint (at least in my color) is thin, doesnt cover, doesnt last, and about a third of the cans dont work.

Auto Transport Service
Back