• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Engine Paint do you like?

Denatured alcohol is a very good way to prep any parts that need to be painted.

Was going to try Bill Hirsch's paint, but...... i couldnt find either of the pre-68 hemi oranges, the race hemi yellow-orange, or the first version less-red street hemi orange.

Search for good stuff continues.....

I use KBR high temp. They specialize in that stuff.
Looked at Kbs a little better, after Hirsch had nothing. KBS at least has the race hemi orange i need, and has a paint system of products. Gonna give them a try.
(Even less expensive than the three garbage spraycans i got from mopar!)
Thanks @tmaleck !
T, did you buy direct from KBS, or a dealer?

Last edited:
Epoxy primer VHT High Temp over a thoroughly cleaned block. Two coats then VHT Hemi Orange two coats. Have not run it yet so it might not hold up, we will see...

20210527_133708.jpg
20210527_135449.jpg

20210630_102355.jpg

Looked at Kbs a little better, after Hirsch had nothing. KBS at least has the race hemi orange i need, and has a paint system of products. Gonna give them a try.
(Even less expensive than the three garbage spraycans i got from mopar!)
Thanks @tmaleck !
T, did you buy direct from KBS, or a dealer?
I bought direct from KBS. They shipped out pretty fast. I'll agree with Hemibee the primer is key.

I have a 383 out for repainting and fresh heads. I could use some feedback from those who have had success with engine paints.

I haven't had much luck with the VHT spray. Even with a fresh block washed and degreased engine block. Eventually it bubbles and flakes.

I met someone recently that did like the POR paint. I also saw a YouTube on epoxy engine paint?

What would you do if you had to paint an engine that could not be dipped because I am reusing the assembled short block?

Any advise for prep and paint?

Thanks in advance
KBS Motor Coater Engine Paint Kit used here.
https://www.kbs-coatings.com/motor-coater-kit.html

113.JPG 119.JPG

Another vote here for epoxy primer and KBS.
2 coats each-sprayed.
20190406_165225.jpg
20190523_145322.jpg

I used VHT on the headers. Works good, but you
have to burn it in. Turns to a light bronze with
heat
20200426_225220.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back