• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

which heads to use on my 440?

joshb1983

Local time
9:19 PM
Reaction score
im building a 440 30 over and i gotta find some heads, i have some 452s iv rebuilt but im gonna go with something else..not sure what though..my cousin says go with aluminum heads and do it right the first time...but which aluminum heads should i get? iv looked at elderbrock, mopar stage 6 and stealth heads..out of those 3 which ones the most recommended..my cars mainly a cruiser and weekend warrior ..wont see any track time, so something mild is what im looking for...and something affordable if thats even possible, any help is appreciated..i found a set of mopar stage 6 heads pretty cheap but not sure if there good..there 78 cc..would i have to modify my block to use them or do a bunch of work to the heads after i buy them? would they be worth buying for 700 bucks..they have around 500 miles on them the guy said and there ready to put on engine the guy told me..heres a pic of them mopar heads.jpg

If you are planning on just cruising around why not just run the 452's. They are good heads and you already have them.

for the money it is hard to beat the stealths.you may want to change the springs and such depending on your cam,and the fact that many people said they are cheepo parts on top.as rebel said,why not run what you got for a street cruiser?

If you are planning on just cruising around why not just run the 452's. They are good heads and you already have them.
thats what i was planning on doing..my cousins riding my *** about using old crappy heads...everyone i knows saying go with aluminum heads, and the price u have in rebuilding your old heads u can buy one new one..fig id get recommendations from ppl on here and see which ways best to go

dont get talked ito doing stuff by your"freinds".it aint there money!

Replace the keepers/retainers, and I'd pull ANY head I got apart and check the valve job, guides, surface, etc. As for cam, etc, pretty much any choice that fits with what you are building. I think bang for buck your 452s would probably be cheaper....

I agree, "weekend warrior" save your money and use the 452's. Your buddies may not realize that the 452's are pretty good heads that easily make 500+ horse. With a little home porting mine were put on a flow bench and are good for up to a .550 lift cam. Just make sure you choose the right pistons to make good compression, I'm at 9.8:1 using flat tops at zero deck height. So far no pinging but have yet to put it under load. Crossing my fingers.

heads just need to flow enough for the set up.cam should match rpm power band for intake and that will determine your carb size.matching parts makes more power!exhaust is last and needs to flow enough for the whole set up.so cams dont really "match"heads,they match the intake more.dont get talked into a bunch of high rpm range stuff,keep your operational range from "off idle up to ????"when choosing cam and intake for a street cruiser.

heads just need to flow enough for the set up.cam should match rpm power band for intake and that will determine your carb size.matching parts makes more power!exhaust is last and needs to flow enough for the whole set up.so cams dont really "match"heads,they match the intake more.dont get talked into a bunch of high rpm range stuff,keep your operational range from "off idle up to ????"when choosing cam and intake for a street cruiser.
X2. Just to add, exhaust should flow 70% compared to the intake do to it's being forced out. Ask yourself what rpm range you mostly plan on driving in and build it to make it's power there, If you go big on cam, heads, etc the rpm range that it makes it's power goes up meaning higher stall converter and lower gears ending in a car that's miserable to drive on the freeway but fun *** hell in town. It's your choice.

View attachment 130212 are these mopar stage 6 heads good? there pretty much untouched and the way they came new,. i can get them for around 700 bucks...or would it be worth getting some 906 heads and putting hardened seats in them? how much is it to put hardend seats in heads now..seems like the 452s are way better than a few ppl keep telling me..

Can't say much on the stage 6 as I've never used them. 906's aren't that much better then the 452's but the 452's have the advantage of already having hardened seats. With a cruiser, weekend warrior in mind the only thing you'll really gain is a lighter head, cooler looks and more resistance to detonation with the aluminum heads. The 452's will easily get you into the 500 hp range without much work, not trying to convince you but people have a habit of always thinking bigger is better when that's not the case. Why don't you tell us what your goals are. I can say that if your heads need much it very well may be worth buying a different set, I've got a significant amount of money in mine but they needed everything. Figure out what you want out of the car then figure out what it will take to get there, you'll probably be supprised.

Can't say much on the stage 6 as I've never used them. 906's aren't that much better then the 452's but the 452's have the advantage of already having hardened seats. With a cruiser, weekend warrior in mind the only thing you'll really gain is a lighter head, cooler looks and more resistance to detonation with the aluminum heads. The 452's will easily get you into the 500 hp range without much work, not trying to convince you but people have a habit of always thinking bigger is better when that's not the case. Why don't you tell us what your goals are. I can say that if your heads need much it very well may be worth buying a different set, I've got a significant amount of money in mine but they needed everything. Figure out what you want out of the car then figure out what it will take to get there, you'll probably be supprised.
im just wanting a mild engine, id be happy with a stock 440 honestly ..my cousins pushing hard to get rid on my 452 heads, says there a waste of time..he has a indy hemi that cost alot and always goes big,,i wanna keep them and stay on buget...the blocks being bored 30 over, other than that its going to be pretty much stock..even putting manifolds and stock intake on it..i want it too look like it came in the car originally..i rebuilt the 452 heads my self..im almost done with college and im becoming a certified mechanic..i have accesses to all the stuff so i did a complete valve job and rebuilt them back to stock with all new valves..i used the original style valve seals, some ppl said i should change them to the umbrella style cause there better..thats all id have to do to them if i did anything at all, heres pics of my 452 heads

- - - Updated - - -

440 heads.jpg440 heads 8.jpg440 heads 10.jpg440 heads 4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

440 heads 12.jpg440 heads 9.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

heres pics of my 452 heads

wait, wait, wait a cottonpickin' minute!! you mean to tell me you rebuilt your own heads and are considering buying a set??

damn it man! use what ya got, and run the crap outta them!! ya, your cuz may have mr. big-shot heads, but you re-manned your own and brought them back to life!!! that's worth ten times what them "other" heads are worth!!

If all you want is a stock engine then use the 452's. The springs on those heads will not be good for any kind of high perf cam but it sounds like you are going bone stock anyway so put it together.

Hard to say without more info? Is the engine already built, or in the planning stages? Asking because changing heads can change the compression ratio.
For a mild street car the stage 6 heads will require too many changes because of the raised port design. I think they require an offset intake rocker arm, an intake manifold spacer, and maybe headers that are compatable with the cylinder head/car body. On the other hand $700 sounds like a decent price, maybe get them for a different project?
What work has been done to the 452 heads? The stock heads have potential, but professionally ported, and rebuilt 452 heads cost $1,500+.
The Edelbrock RPM head flows a bit better out of the box than the 440 source stealth head, but the angled spark plugs can cause fitment issues with exhaust manifolds and some headers designed for stock heads. The Stealth heads look more like stock heads, and also have the straight spark plugs like a stock head.
Any of the aluminum heads will require ARP head bolts that use smaller hex heads. The standard Fel-Pro 8519PT1 that comes in the $50 gasket sets will work with the aluminum heads. The springs/retainers on the aluminum heads will work with most mild hydraulic flat tappet cams. If changing to higher rocker ratios or using 3/8" pushrods, the heads may need the pushrod holes enlarged for clearance.

Can't beat low end grunt for driving pleasure. 906's ported, RPM performer, Comp Cam and 850 Demon produce 415 RWHP.

Sounds like you already know what you need to do, ignore your cousin and use them.

Auto Transport Service
Back