• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whiplash cam

Ingemar Viklund

Local time
11:33 PM
Reaction score
Thinking of upgrading my stock 69 318. Nothing crazy, just a little more horsepower and the nice loopy sound from the whiplash cam.
What would be the ideal intake manifold, carb etc. Any headers with a good fit?

TTI headers, but they are pricy. Edelbrock performer would be fine on a near stock 318. The Edelbrock RPM air gap is a higher flowing intake. It might be a bit more than you need, but would be a nice intake if you plan to upgrade the cylinder heads later. There are some offshore knock-offs of the RPM intake from Professional products and speed master, but I have never use them, so I can't say how they are.
With changing the intake and carb, the throttle linkage and transmission kickdown are usually too short and need to be extended. Most carbs offer a Chrysler throttle lever adaptor that helps a bit, but usually changes still need to be made to the length of the kickdown rod.
Carb, a 600 - 650 cfm. Carb will likely need to be tuned / adjusted along with re-curving the ignition advance.
I would use the Edelbrock AVS2 with electric choke, but I have converted most of my stuff to EFI because the cost of new carbs has really gone up, and the cost of EFI has come way down.

Last edited:
TTI headers, but they are pricy.
Agree with 451Mopar. BUT all up grades depend on budget. For a low budget 273/318 the standard Edelbrock Performer,Edelbrock 600 AFB or AVS2(or what ever carb manufacturer is your preference) Along with a mild matching cam with good torque.Headers for the B body again depending on budget.Usually for a small block have good fit from all manufacturers, and a 2 1/2'' exhaust system to the back bumper. Can't say what is available in Sweden.
Just a few photos for you to ponder.Second photo is before headers and duals.TTI shown.

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

Those must be the shorty headers. I have the full length ones on order.
I am running the standard Performer on my 360 and it runs good. I did open up the intake port to match the 360 head size.
The engine has a mild Hughes cam (not the whiplash), the engine was built with 9.5:1 compression.

Unless you change the heads… I wouldn’t waste my money on intake, headers and carb on a 318. The stockers barely flow enough for the Carter 2bbl.

The headers, intake, carb, and ignition system will all fit on any LA small block and will increase the power of the 318.
But I understand that the 318 heads were the lower flowing, smaller port and valve heads.
There seems to be a better selection of aftermarket small block heads now than 20 years ago when I built my 360.
The 360 uses the iron J heads, but with 2.02"/1.60" stainless valves, hardened exhaust seats, and some porting, mostly in the bowl area for the larger valves.
The stock heads needed a bunch of work. The quench area was a different depth on each head (it has KB-232 quench dome pistons), so the heads needed to be milled different amounts and then the chamber cc's checked and equalized. Also had to machine the spring pockets and valve guides for dual springs and PC seals, and ream the oil feed bolt hole(s) for extra oil clearance because using head studs.
Today it would be easier to just get aluminum heads than to do all the modifications to the stock heads.

Those must be the shorty headers.
Yes,First time using the shorty's. Installed dozens of the long tube sets. I just wanted to try them.You loose torque with them over the long tubes.
Not the best choice for a 273.Car was a driver not a racer.

I just hate the cheap headers that hang down below the tie rods, the tubes just get smashed. That is why I spent the $$$$ for the TTI headers.
When I was looking at headers, the ceramic coated Hooker headers were more expensive than the TTIs.
The TTI also has thicker flanges (0.375" vs 0.31") and thicker tube material (16 gauge vs. 18 gauge).
1969 DODGE CORONET Hooker Headers 5115-1HKR Hooker Super Competition Headers | Summit Racing
https://www.ttiexhaust.com/TTi340.htm

On my friends '70 Challenger 318 driver, he didn't want to mess with the cheap headers, so he just stayed with the stock manifolds, but with dual 2-1/4" exhaust system.
Not sure what performance it would have cost him, but his car has never been on a drag strip.
I also did dual 2-1/4" exhaust off the stock manifolds for my '86 W100 318. That was a stock 318 with performer intake, and the Mopar P4452759 cam (260/268 advertised duration, 0.430"/0.450" lift.) Not the optimal cam, but I got it and the lifters for $60. Might have been from a member or off e-bay, but it was only used for a dyno test and removed, and all the lifters were kept in order, so I gambled the $60 it would work, and it did.

Auto Transport Service
Back