• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

and GM made many many Avengers,Wildcats also, all great aircraft.

a84372e13513008c38924f6daaa5fb29d956730f.jpg

1945, Germany, Messerschmitt Me A 262B-1a/U1 - now the hands of Americans - equipped with a radar FuG-218 Neptun
8709210385_4ebd86b625_c.jpg

B-24 bomber "Liberator" has just hit by a shell, 1944
View attachment 964259

858175672320_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=PYF4BG8wqXUAX9--mEh&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

One crewman out of 11 was able to get out....

The Saga of Black 'N'. B-24L, 44-49710.

Taken by group photographer and radio operator of the adjacent plane 'White Q (Queen)', 1st Lt. Leland Conrad would take one of most powerful and iconic images from the air war!

Flying with 461st BG, the 464th BG had literally just unloaded their bombs onto their target at Lugo, Italy. No sooner had bomb-bay doors started to close then the formation encountered extremely accurate flak! Initially three bursts went off within feet of the nose of the aircraft immediately behind and to the right 'Black N'.....'White A' (Able), and Black N's tail. The fourth hit home perfectly between the port engines of Black N, causing a fuel tank ignition, and the wing to immediately fold and sever in two.... the resultant lift from intact starboard wing to turning it onto it's back with a fireball.......sending it spiralling 15,000 ft endlessly downward into the ground.

Of the crew the man 11 Man Crew:

Pilot - Lt. Col. James B. Gilson
Nav - 1Lt. Robert J. O’Leary
Bomb - Capt. George R. Wall
Eng/Gun - T/Sgt. Jerrold R. Ruben
Gun - S/Sgt. Robert C. Rogers
Gun - S/Sgt. Melvin Thomason
Co-Pilot - Capt. Charles H. Foote
Nav - Capt. Lacey P. Morton
Radar/Bom - 1Lt. Edward F. Walsh
Radio/Gun - S/Sgt. Charles F. Montegut
Gun - S/Sgt. Norman S. Cope

....Only 1st Lt. Edward F. Walsh escaped, miraculously, with his life managing to bail out from the stricken ship!

I initially started work on this image due to my current penchant for more challenging background terrain to test with, but swiftly realised, it was and remains the task to do this work to honour and remember these incredible young brave men.

To be trapped inside that aircraft for the few minutes it would have taken to reach the ground just doesn't bare thinking about!

So here's to them, lest we ever forgot! 858175672320_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=PYF4BG8wqXUAX9--mEh&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

hard to tell....the bombardier was the one that survived, and he would have been in the nose.

True...and Brewster built (very few) Corsairs. You can give proven designs to other people, but that doesn't mean they can put them together, or that they will be good when done.Not waving the GM flag, but they did pump out a bunch of F4Fs and TBMs, and Ford built a lot of B-24s. Doesn't have to come from Chrysler to be good.
And the P-75 was an abortion that was thought up to use parts on hand to make something better. Sometimes designs work, sometimes they don't. This one wasn't anything spectacular, and other better aircraft were on the way by then.

I am a retired USAF Pilot (and Flight Surgeon) and I flew F-100, A-10, and F-16, plus Hawker Hunter and BAE Hawk with the RAF. Here are a few mementos...Sorry i can't find the
pictures of fighters, so here is our Commanche 250 somewhere in NY state.

upload_2020-6-18_14-7-56.png

Auto Transport Service
Back