• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

3423483.jpg

The Naval National Air Museum in Pensacola will be reopening to the public this month after being restricted for 3 years.
What you need to know about NAS Pensacola reopening to the public
I went there in the late 90s and was really impressed with it. Growing up by a Naval Air station I am passionate about Navy aircraft past and present! I especially liked seeing a P2V Neptune as several squadrons of those were based by me, and I saw them flying over my house constantly as a kid.

IMAG0034.JPG

IMAG0015.JPG

A rather interesting design, and makes sense logically. It was also Germany's fasted prop powered fighter.

Unfortunately for Germany, it was another design coming too late. One thing that the Luftwaffe was inferior to compared to the Allies was in pilot training and discipline. Flight training was so pared down, both to save fuel and to accelerate new pilot introductions to the airfields, that none of the newer pilots had decent skills to be effective with their new airplanes. They didn't even use pre-flight checklists, having an attitude that they were above such things.

This explains why, despite the large number of German fighter aces during the war, very few of them were pilots that entered service after 1942. By that time, proper training had been abandoned and most of the new pilots were shot down before accumulating enough hours to become proficient.

Speaking of tractor/pusher engine placements, I watched a Skymaster fly over my house a couple of days ago. I can't remember the last time I saw one of these in the air. (It wasn't this one, just an example).
41480635400-a1bc9646dc-b-xdv2wrn4.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back