• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

who pays 10k for a paint job

10k would be a good price to do a car that is disassembled if it was the year 2000. Now I'd say you are looking at 15k plus rust repair/panel replacement if there is a need.

@cr8crshr

How did Maaco do on prep and masking?
The car was stripped of trim and everything else as you can see in the pics. They didn't need to do much prep.

They buy the cheapest products and the cheapest labor. Steel wool and spray. You want better you pay for the next tier.

I should be giving you a disagree on that as you have no idea how the deal went down. Besides, that's part of the price you pay to get it painted, ain't no next tier crap that you mention! Maybe that's how it works for you being north of the border, not here!

They buy the cheapest products and the cheapest labor. Steel wool and spray. You want better you pay for the next tier.

Yep! When I worked in a body shop back in the late 80's, we had a guy there that previously worked for an Earl Sheib shop. He said for the quick "We'll paint any car for $99.99" paint jobs, they didn't do any prep work (They literally scuffed it with water and a scotch-brite pad), and then shot the car with the cheapest basecoat and cleared it with polyurethane for wood floors. The better the job you wanted, the more you paid, even back then.

I should be giving you a disagree on that as you have no idea how the deal went down. Besides, that's part of the price you pay to get it painted, ain't no next tier crap that you mention! Maybe that's how it works for you being north of the border, not here!

Maybe where you are 69a100, but I had Maaco quote me prices on a car in the past and it was exactly how slimt said. They flat out told me they do very little prep, and don't remove anything. They tape everything off and spray it as is. I was told if I wanted or needed more work done, or better materials, the price would go up accordingly. I asked what they do about the rock chips and scratches. I was told that they paint right over them, and if I want them sanded out, it would cost more.

I don't really understand why so many of these topics become so argumentative and people take things so personal. I read posts on this thread where some are basically calling people stupid for putting money into their cars. Why does it matter to anyone else what someone spends on their car? Or what they choose to pay to have someone else do the labor. People should do what they want, or can afford, or choose to afford to make their cars how they want them to be. Don't understand why it always needs to turn into attacks on each other.

Last edited:
I’d love a decent paint job for 10k. MAACO refused. Not many nearby will touch it. Collision work too lucrative as said above.

I did this in my alley at 6am. I watered the gravel and when the temperature hit 60 degrees I shot it and prayed for no bugs. Much less dust than expensive shops here in town that charge many thousands for the same finish. Acrylic Enamel with a Catalyst. The color is IH Flame Red, same as my Scout was. One gallon did both vehicles. $90 paint, $30 Catalyst. Done with a Binks copy gun.
Door ding? I won't lose my mind.

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 2.45.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 3.05.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 3.06.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 3.06.45 PM.png

This one was done in IH tractor Red Acrylic Enamel from the local Runnings Supply. $18 per gallon on sale, on the shelf today for $29, no catalyst. Still buffs out nicely, but needs buffing twice per year. 1st photo: fresh from the junkyard, 2nd: Spitfire on GT6+ chassis.
BTW: all my painting is done in a zoot suit with a top quality respirator. The catalyst can permanently ruin your lungs with ONE short exposure. Economize on materials, but never safety.

P1010025.jpg P1010024.jpg P1010023.jpg

Isn't it funny that people will go out and spend $60 - $80,000.00 dollars on some fancy new diesel truck that they don't really need in the first place, and then load stuff in the bed, drive it through mud, snow and rain, climb in and out with who knows what's on their boots and not give any of it a second or even a first thought! I personally could never do that. Guess that's why I still have a 1990 F-250 4x4 thats maybe worth $4500.

Or, we spend 30 or $40,000.00 for a new car or SUV and drive it in any weather at any time. We eat in them, spill stuff in them, get door dings in parking lots and scratches from whatever....

Yet we obsess over our prized classics and muscle cars even if they're not worth all that much, like mine (well under $20,000). Hey, I'm not judging anyone here, I'm guilty of this myself. I guess it's the bond we have with them from all the time spent, the hard work, the busted knuckles and smashed fingers and finally, the satisfaction of any one given project completed and gone right.... Ice cream cruiser?!!!.... Forget it!... don't even think of eating ice cream or anything else in my '67!!:elmer:

Oh yeah... to answer your original question... If I could get my car done right for $10G, I would do it in a heartbeat! That's a very good price if it includes the usual rust repair, body panels and all the paint and body work. But don't take the family for ice cream when you get it all done!:rolleyes:

I think I was fortunate to have a well reputed shop do my '63 for under $13k considering it was a color change and extra work involved that wasn't known before stripping off the paint. A new center trunk pan was required and a section on the left rear that pitted to the point of re-piecing that section despite this being a CA car. I had removed (and replaced) all of the trim and the motor/trans was out so the engine bay could be painted. And replacing the trim/lights, etc. is a bitch including dealing with finding new clips, repairs, etc.; but something a person having patience can do. Shop said if they had to do this it would have been around $1600 more.

20170210_161633.jpg 20170325_091213.jpg 20170418_103359.jpg

The car was stripped of trim and everything else as you can see in the pics. They didn't need to do much prep.

Disagree all you want. the standards up here are a tad different .I worked there . And am telling you of my accounts as a x employee. 4 different options . and the customer had a choice .Just like a hair salon

Well out here in Cali it’s always gonna be pricey. I’m at about 25k give or take for my complete respray. If it wasn’t an insurance job I’d never be paying that much. Lol
68814179-C1CB-480F-B8B7-E3D7D573F79B.jpeg

A shop in Colorado just advertised on the local CL. "Will do your rod for $55 per hour" With quarters looming in my Charger's future, I bit. How many hours to put new quarters on my 66 Charger? 20-25 hours each, ready for paint. So $1,000-$1,200 per panel. If I didn't do my own work, I'd hold them to it. Still tempting.

I’d love a decent paint job for 10k. MAACO refused. Not many nearby will touch it. Collision work too lucrative as said above.
With all the posts mentioning collision work maybe that is the answer; have a wreck and get your car painted for whatever your deductible is.

All kidding aside, there's only one shop I know of close by that will paint a classic car but he has a client in Tulsa that keeps him busy shipping him 2-3 cars for restoration at a time and ships more when he finishes those.

Reading through this it seams people have more money than brains... $10,000:eek:

I'd quickly exit the hobby or drive rust buckets before I even paid close to that. I was quoted $5,000 for mine and I already had the bodywork done, since I had it that far I elected to do it myself. I will say materials aren't cheap at all and it is labor intensive but holy cow $10,000!

I know a few who used Maaco but did the prep work, removal of trim and on and on themselves and they got decent paint jobs. What's the saying....90% of a paint job is in the prep? Had a car done for a buddy who moved away around 20 years ago and the paint job looked pretty decent but the tape job wasn't that good (wasn't nearly as bad as I've seen....) nor did they do any of the minor rust repair very good. Just scuffed it and threw on the paint. I just did what he told me to do but the price of the car was cheap enough for a quick sale plus I told the buyer what had been done and he was fine with it.

Disagree all you want. the standards up here are a tad different .I worked there . And am telling you of my accounts as a x employee. 4 different options . and the customer had a choice .Just like a hair salon
I think you don't understand. We stripped the car of everything before hand, along with doing 95% of the prep, they did the rest.

Reading through this it seams people have more money than brains... $10,000:eek:
As I say, they have more money then sense!

1200.00 paintjob plus paint was about another 800. So right at 2000 bucks and painted in a crane booth. lol Its a driver and not a show car. But still turns heads.
IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

I know a few who used Maaco but did the prep work, removal of trim and on and on themselves and they got decent paint jobs. What's the saying....90% of a paint job is in the prep? Had a car done for a buddy who moved away around 20 years ago and the paint job looked pretty decent but the tape job wasn't that good (wasn't nearly as bad as I've seen....) nor did they do any of the minor rust repair very good. Just scuffed it and threw on the paint. I just did what he told me to do but the price of the car was cheap enough for a quick sale plus I told the buyer what had been done and he was fine with it.
Thanks Cranky for jumpin' in on this. I had completely stripped the car inside and out and under hood and dash. I mean I totally dismantled it. It was a bare roller shell when I had the body work done and repairs made...no corrosion at all just some dents and such so the body shop didn't have to do it nor weld in new sheet metal or panels like some of the pics I saw here on this post. Granted some places will tape over what is still left but knowing that over spray would get into the nooks and cranny's and mounting holes I figured it was worth it because after assembly no one would see. The body shop I used is an Insurance operation but the owner likes doing resto work on just about any and everything. He is a true motor head and recently become one of the premier VW resto shops in CA. He is located in my former home town of Vacaville CA. So I say when you do find someone that will do that kind of work along with the bread and butter work that Insurance work is and dabbles in side jobs, then you are ahead of the game so to speak. The MACCO shop also in Vacaville is a franchise yes but the owner is also a motor head and does like doing resto work as well. I went with the top of the line paint they offered and went with just single stage as I wanted to have that Orange peel effect that our rides came out of the factory with originally. It just looks really neat IMHFO to see it in the paint. I guess trying to keep it all in perspective is all I was trying to do. I have to say to those that have chimed in and commented about the work and quality of said MACCO operations that after all they are a franchise and you get what you get based upon the franchise owners ability and interest. I lucked out in that both the body shop and the MACCO shop worked with me to give me a good job in the end. Hell it took me days on end to do all the sanding and prepping and body filler and smoothing and then more block sanding till I was satisfied for my tastes. I saved a bundle by doing so myself. Now how many can say that about their 100.00/hr 35k paint jobs? When one puts some effort and sweat into their project, then it can be done very inexpensively. And if I could show all the FBBO members it in person, they would say WWWWOOOOWWWW!!! Looks really damn fine there Tuck...cr8crshr/Tuck:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

IMGP0003.JPG IMGP0018.JPG MVC-006F.JPG MVC-007F.JPG MVC-009F.JPG MVC-010F.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back