• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

who pays 10k for a paint job

Nice work and $2,000 is much more like it, that's very reasonable.
The body was in remarkable shape to start with. Just needed the driver side lower rear quarter patch. Got a quote from Maaco for 6k had another guy quote and in his words... I will not paint that car for less then 10k My work is my signature. The car ended up being painted by a guy we know that restores cranes. Little short Cuban guy we call ChooChoo... He said thats the last whole car he will ever paint lmao.

I will say that the guy who quoted 10k also showed us around the shop. His stuff is museum quality. We just wanted a great looking driver.

I think you don't understand. We stripped the car of everything before hand, along with doing 95% of the prep, they did the rest.

I understood what you said. Ive seen it before as well . You did a majority of the work . they made it nice for you. Did you know that up here Maaco is owned by carstar ? If Im not mistakin. Prior to 2 years ago they bought the Maaco name

As I say, they have more money then sense!

The body shop I used is an Insurance operation but the owner likes doing resto work on just about any and everything. He is a true motor head and recently become one of the premier VW resto shops in CA. He is located in my former home town of Vacaville CA.
What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-d...bus-finds-home-at-vacaville-auto-body-center/

This car was painted in a 2 car garage.
CH 2000.jpg
CH 2000 E.jpg
CH 2000 A.jpg
1amdlbs.JPG
1B.JPG

The bodywork was mostly done in a crappy Costco canopy !
00000033.JPG
00000035.JPG
00000036.JPG
00000034.JPG

This $129 work shop was where my buddy did most of the bodywork. We had a deal....He would do the body and paint labor, I would build his garage/shop and home addition.
00000032.JPG

00000037.JPG

Paint work was done in my 2 car garage.

00000042.JPG
00000011 (2).JPG

00000043.JPG

Is anyone on FBBO a paint-and-body guy as their "day job"?

I spent about $3000 in materials in 2002-2003. This was a base and clear using PPG products. I included all sandpaper, solvents, paint/clear/reducers, catalysts...everything, even making tape, paper, buffing pads and compound.
I painted the valance, the engine bay, door jambs and trunk in single stage.

Is anyone on FBBO a paint-and-body guy as their "day job"?
If there are, I'll bet they keep quiet about it.
I do it on the side. I'm not skilled/fast enough to make money doing other peoples cars. The ones that I do are project cars that I build and sell. My labor and time cost me nothing. If I take a long time sanding and buffing out flaws, bugs that landed in the finish, etc...no big deal.
The standards are so much higher now than 20 years ago. My Charger has far less orange peel than most new cars but if I painted a car and left any orange peel in it, I'd suspect that most people, customers anyway, would complain. When our cars were NEW they had orange peel, runs, drips, etc. Nobody seems to want that though. Only the gnats ***, resto crowd goes for the OEM flawed finish.

Three years ago now: i took the bumpers and glass out. Then removed the doors, hood, and trunk. Drove the car down the street to the closest (Mexican) body shop to my house. The shop then stripped off the re-paint (blue), fixed a few minor dings and things (no rust repair) and did a single stage with catalyst (painted the door jambs, inside of hood and trunk lid). Then did a quick buff/polish, not too much, I wanted to keep just a little orange peel for that "factory original look".

Paid about $1,250.00 US Dollars in materials and labor. Don't know why it is so expensive north of the Border. It was finished in 13 working days.

DSC00022_2.JPG DSC00385.JPG DSC00609.JPG

I'm on my last "professionally" restored car. There is No Way to tell where, or how much the cost will go to, when you hand the car over to a Shop. When your $$$ runs out, and you're not even close to finishing, you look back, and wonder why you just didn't keep FISHING as your Hobby...

I did this in my alley at 6am. I watered the gravel and when the temperature hit 60 degrees I shot it and prayed for no bugs. Much less dust than expensive shops here in town that charge many thousands for the same finish. Acrylic Enamel with a Catalyst. The color is IH Flame Red, same as my Scout was. One gallon did both vehicles. $90 paint, $30 Catalyst. Done with a Binks copy gun.
Door ding? I won't lose my mind.

]
This is how I plan on painting my Superbird.

The same Mexican body shop that painted my '72 SSP Bahama Yellow (see post #73) is about to begin painting my A Body.

First I stripped the vehicle at home completely and just had it sandblasted (down the street) and primed (by the sand blaster). That was $800.00 US funds.

Now the body shop is taking over next: fix the dents, paint the body, all interior surfaces, engine compartment, and chassis with a single stage. And a factory correct body stripe runnning down the center bumper to bumper. That is another $2,850.00 US funds. (materials and labor)

DSC05051.JPG

I gave up. $$$ is going in to drivetrain and reliability. Don’t care what it looks like.

Auto Transport Service
Back