• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do people selling things on Ebay think there stuff is so valuable

Its because between EBAYs 10% selling and 10% shipping (Shipping that is calculated and collected in most cases by EBAY at there shipping rate) and pay pals 3% fee, a seller has to ask stupid prices to even make it worth his while to box it up. Someone needs to start an online swap meet and charge 3% or just a buck or two to the seller. They would make as much as the credit card companies, and sellers and buyers would be happy. Yep EBAY is the culprit. The cost is close to 30% in some cases more.

Can't Believe they charge 10% for shipping when they don't have a lick of skin in the game. But they sure as hell do.

Its because between EBAYs 10% selling and 10% shipping (Shipping that is calculated and collected in most cases by EBAY at there shipping rate) and pay pals 3% fee, a seller has to ask stupid prices to even make it worth his while to box it up. Someone needs to start an online swap meet and charge 3% or just a buck or two to the seller. They would make as much as the credit card companies, and sellers and buyers would be happy. Yep EBAY is the culprit. The cost is close to 30% in some cases more.
Couldn't agree more hence is why I no longer partake.

Again, if you selling items less than 100 bucks and fits install boxes than you can make out but if it is big items at larger pricing it is a waste....

Just wait till you finally sell a "real expensive" part for over say 2k and see the chunk they take out. Then come back here and say it's a great place to sell and I love losing 200 bucks or more....

You can preach all day about the captive audience which is true but it comes at a significant cost to the buyer and seller. Prices have to raise due to these fees and higher shipping cost/materials.

Also, no one provides me free boxes and packing materials but one wants them packed perfectly so the part arrives in mint condition. What about the time I lose answering questions, dealing with the ad, packing the items.......

FBBO is an easy marketplace to use and I have had minimal issues. Easy to create an ad, add pictures and easy to bump it forward the pack. Same goes true for DC.com and moparts but adding pictures to them is a pain.

We should take advantage of what we have as a community and build it up from there. The swap meets these days and junk meets and the web is the wave of the future for buying/selling these parts.

The main difference is eBay is a 7 day stent versus a waiting game...I would rather wait than contribute to a profit driven machine that pisses on the seller in the end.....

But I don't live for a seven day payday and I sell to thin my stock! When the wife sees boxes flying knowing that creates more closet space per se that is my get out of jail card, lol...

Just like anything else, eBay can be great if you know how to use it.

I sell lots of stuff on eBay that I would otherwise discard. Free money. Sure, you have to pay fees, but where else are you going to peddle junk while you sleep?

Also, I buy quite a bit on eBay.
Just bought a new TIG machine on eBay for way less than I could have locally and with free shipping and no tax.
Again, you have to know how to navigate the system.

Just like anything else, eBay can be great if you know how to use it.

I sell lots of stuff on eBay that I would otherwise discard. Free money. Sure, you have to pay fees, but where else are you going to peddle junk while you sleep?
I have used ebay more than you ever will in your lifetime....As a buyer it is great and easy to use, no question....

As a high powered seller which you are not and is why you do not understand where some of us high power sellers are coming from....It is a Whole different story.......

As far as selling parts while you sleep....I have had no problem here, Moparts, and DC.com.....The "captive" audience of ebay means nothing to me and to wait hours, days, months to sell a part without dealing with Ejunk sits well with me perfectly....Actually, I have made more over the past year when I compared it to a year selling on ebay with the same volume/prices..

Numbers and spreadsheets do not lie......

Ebay used to be awesome back before they went public, now they stick it to the sellers. I buy stuff on there but its just not worth it to sell on there anymore due to their outrageous fees as others have said.

Everybody wants to bash ebay. Good to see. They're a bunch of dicks. If they charge 10% on shipping in addition to their other fees I'm glad I got out when I did.

I have used ebay more than you ever will in your lifetime....As a buyer it is great and easy to use, no question....

As a high powered seller which you are not and is why you do not understand where some of us high power sellers are coming from....It is a Whole different story.......

As far as selling parts while you sleep....I have had no problem here, Moparts, and DC.com.....The "captive" audience of ebay means nothing to me and to wait hours, days, months to sell a part without dealing with Ejunk sits well with me perfectly....Actually, I have made more over the past year when I compared it to a year selling on ebay with the same volume/prices..

Numbers and spreadsheets do not lie......
DC.com?

If you buy something from a BIG seller, and have issues.....they always side with the seller. I've been ***-raped by ebay 3 times, in their decision making process.

Yes! I fought with them several times and they always went with the seller.

Let's face it. There are pros and cons from both sides. This discussion could go back and forth forever.

Couldn't agree more hence is why I no longer partake.

Just wait till you finally sell a "real expensive" part for over say 2k and see the chunk they take out. Then come back here and say it's a great place to sell and I love losing 200 bucks or more....

You can preach all day about the captive audience which is true but it comes at a significant cost to the buyer and seller. Prices have to raise due to these fees and higher shipping cost/materials.

FBBO is an easy marketplace to use and I have had minimal issues. Easy to create an ad, add pictures and easy to bump it forward the pack. Same goes true for DC.com and moparts but adding pictures to them is a pain.

We should take advantage of what we have as a community and build it up from there. The swap meets these days and junk meets and the web is the wave of the future for buying/selling these parts.

The main difference is eBay is a 7 day stent versus a waiting game...I would rather wait than contribute to a profit driven machine that pisses on the seller in the end.....

But I don't live for a seven day payday and I sell to thin my stock! When the wife sees boxes flying knowing that creates more closet space per se that is my get out of jail card, lol...

Hate to say it, but I couldn't disagree with you more. :)

First, access to buyers is more important than anything! Yes, you can post something for sale on a forum like this one, but you're appealing to a relatively minuscule audience. How many B body owners are not on the forum? A LOT. How many other body type owners who could use the part are not on the forum? A LOT. How many guys who buy/sell parts are not on the forum? A LOT. How many impulse buyers are looking in the For Sale section? The forum(s) is great for selling highly-desirable parts at a friends and family low price, but that's about it. If you're in the business of selling parts, and need to make XX% profit off them, forums are not gonna get it done for you.

As for losing $200 in fees, consider this. I was just searching for a rebuilt 727 trans. I saw several sell on ebay in the $750-$1,200 range, which means the sellers paid $35-$61.50 in fees, so they made $715 to $1,138.50 off them. I ended up buying one that was substantially better than any of the ones on ebay, that was rebuilt with Mancini Racing parts, and came with a 2,500 stall converter. The owner had well over $1,500 invested in the trans alone, but was selling it on Craigslist, which has a very limited customer exposure compared to ebay. After two months of trying to get his money back, he finally lowered his price to $500 and I bought it. Had he listed on ebay at say $1,750, and accepted a best offer of say $1,600, he would have paid $81.50 in fees, for a total of $1,518, which would have been $1,000 more than he made selling locally on Craigslist. Yes, ebay fees mean you're paying for that access to a larger buyer base, but that larger buyer base means the item will sell for much more than it would to a limited buyer base.

Pretty sure eBay owns Craigslist.
Was told they bought it to control Craigslist and make sure they didn't go to an auction / eBay style platform.

Auto Transport Service
Back