• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why dont suspension companies publish bushing specifications?

idrivemopar

Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
I have been looking for either a shorter D-Clamp or taller bushing for my 7/8 rear sway bar, but none, not a single one of these suspension companies out there publish the specifications of their bushings or their clamps, other than the sway bar diameter. What's the deal with that crap. It would be so nice if I could easily find what I am looking for, say, a busing that is 1 3/4 inches tall, and 1 1/4 wide for 7/8 sway bar. If this information was available, then I could make a purchase, but I guess these places only want to sell in bulk or only in kits with their new sway bars! Such a disappointment.

If anyone knows where I can find this info please post up a link or whatever!

Ok, end of rant! hahahahahahaa

Sorry I don't have your answer.... but I may have a solution. I ran into this many years ago when I was trying to use some Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings (the middle ones, not the end links). I ended up cutting a little block of hard plastic as a spacer & glued it to the bottom of the sway bar bushing (using plastic adhering epoxy) to make up the difference in the size of the bushing vs. bracket.

The fix held up for many, many years. The only thing I don't know for sure is how/if my slight change in sway bar bushing geometry changed my handling. It sure felt "OK", but I was comparing the feel to old, worn out rubber bushings.

Another option for you might be to just take your bracket to a speed shop & compare it vs. the bushings they have on the shelf vs. your bracket and see what you find.

Might be easier if you list who you have spoken to...Energy, PST, Prothane ect..

Sorry I don't have your answer.... but I may have a solution. I ran into this many years ago when I was trying to use some Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings (the middle ones, not the end links). I ended up cutting a little block of hard plastic as a spacer & glued it to the bottom of the sway bar bushing (using plastic adhering epoxy) to make up the difference in the size of the bushing vs. bracket.

The fix held up for many, many years. The only thing I don't know for sure is how/if my slight change in sway bar bushing geometry changed my handling. It sure felt "OK", but I was comparing the feel to old, worn out rubber bushings.

Another option for you might be to just take your bracket to a speed shop & compare it vs. the bushings they have on the shelf vs. your bracket and see what you find.
That's funny that you mention this, because that is the exact problem I want to get rid of on my car, I don't like having bushings shimmed up so I can snug them enough to grab the bar!

We don't have any good speed shops locally, but I have checked with the local 4x4 shop, and they couldn't find any specifications either from energy or prothane.

Might be easier if you list who you have spoken to...Energy, PST, Prothane ect..
As I mentioned, prothane, energy, and I called PST today, they guy that answered the phone had no clue either!

You want shorter clamps - this will increase the pressure on the bushing. Is that what you want?

I was thinking of going the other way - longer clamps to decrease the pressure on the bar. I figured that if the bar was free to rotate it would work much better but after talking to some knowledgeable people that's incorrect for a street car - you want the bar clamped in the bushing.

That said, standard clamps from all companies will be about 1/8" shorter than the bushing - thus clamping the bar. If you went with even shorter clamps I suspect the clamps will just bend instead of putting any more pressure on the bushings - they can only compress so much!

I'm pretty sure every clamp you find will be the same length and every bushing the same height - just different i.d.'s.

You know, it's at least "possible" that nobody makes polyurethane bushings for your rear sway bar. You "might" have to either build your own D-clamps or find a larger bushing that fits the bar & trim it down. If you have a steady hand you can cut polyurethane pretty cleanly if you use a new razor blade & shave down the bushing, like a "do-it-yourself meat slicer".

I have been looking for either a shorter D-Clamp or taller bushing for my 7/8 rear sway bar, but none, not a single one of these suspension companies out there publish the specifications of their bushings or their clamps, other than the sway bar diameter. What's the deal with that crap. It would be so nice if I could easily find what I am looking for, say, a busing that is 1 3/4 inches tall, and 1 1/4 wide for 7/8 sway bar. If this information was available, then I could make a purchase, but I guess these places only want to sell in bulk or only in kits with their new sway bars! Such a disappointment.

If anyone knows where I can find this info please post up a link or whatever!

Ok, end of rant! hahahahahahaa

Why don't you bite the bullet and fabricate a new bushing holder completely. This problem is not going to go away, not now, not in the future. Knowing the ID and OD you can pick up a round bushing and split it in two. You could even have them made out of delron or UHMW. Then you'll never have to replace them. That's the purpose of machine shops and you really should give one a try.

Why don't you bite the bullet and fabricate a new bushing holder completely. This problem is not going to go away, not now, not in the future. Knowing the ID and OD you can pick up a round bushing and split it in two. You could even have them made out of delron or UHMW. Then you'll never have to replace them. That's the purpose of machine shops and you really should give one a try.

Yep, already thinking I will have to go this route!

You want shorter clamps - this will increase the pressure on the bushing. Is that what you want?

I was thinking of going the other way - longer clamps to decrease the pressure on the bar. I figured that if the bar was free to rotate it would work much better but after talking to some knowledgeable people that's incorrect for a street car - you want the bar clamped in the bushing.

That said, standard clamps from all companies will be about 1/8" shorter than the bushing - thus clamping the bar. If you went with even shorter clamps I suspect the clamps will just bend instead of putting any more pressure on the bushings - they can only compress so much!

I'm pretty sure every clamp you find will be the same length and every bushing the same height - just different i.d.'s.

Funny that you state that the difference in clamp and bushing is about 1/8, and that is exactly the difference I need, either in the clamp or bushing.

You know, it's at least "possible" that nobody makes polyurethane bushings for your rear sway bar. You "might" have to either build your own D-clamps or find a larger bushing that fits the bar & trim it down. If you have a steady hand you can cut polyurethane pretty cleanly if you use a new razor blade & shave down the bushing, like a "do-it-yourself meat slicer".

I was thinking about that also, but since nobody publishes the bushing specifications, I don't think I can locate a bigger bushing with out a lot of trial and error on which one might be bigger!

damn bushings drove me crazy, finally finished my front end up had a lot of issues with bushings not fitting properly. Somehow I got 2 sets of prothane strut rod bushing sent to me in the mail when I never ordered them, I ordered a front end kit from PST and had a set of moog strut rod bushings from oreillys then these show up on the mail a couple days ago? Matter a fact I'll create a thread and give them away, if anyone needs a set pm me.

IMG_1267.JPG

I just reached out to the company I bought them from, and it may be possible, that since I was an early adopter of these I may have incorrect bushing size, so they are going to double check and call me tomorrow! Lets hope that's all it is!

The "D" bushings for my rear bar just disintegrated.

It's an aftermarket bar, with what I can best deduce to be energy brand clamps and bushings (they're red).

The bar mic's out to .8 or 20mm.

Energy lists a 20.3mm. Hmmm none of the other ones are partial...

I've been to three Advance and 2 O'reilly's.
They have different parts than the other stores in the same chain, but none have the 20.3.

The dimensions of the actual bush are 1.5x1.5x.15. They appear to have been smooth with a taper on the outer edges. I've seen smooth and ribbed, both with and without taper.

There's also the mount bolt hole spacing. If I have to get new mounts, that will be fun to address.

I'm trying NAPA and PepBoys tomorrow.

WEll, with aftermarket that could be an adventure and sounds like it already is one!

I do have a plan B.

I have a factory bar I could put on.

Would much rather buy $15 in poly or even rubber inserts (if only I could find the correct ones from the thousands available, but without the specs the OP is pining for...) and put back 4 nuts, than rip the shock plates off.....

A little bit left field here, but when I spent months searching for sway bar end links for my Dodge A100, I learned that the Ford Explorer end links were an identical match to the originals.
I am picking you may have thought this way - but if not - take a sample to your parts stores, and search "Beyond Mopar". You may be in luck finding a match or close equivalent. Of course this method relies on the guy at the Parts Store actually caring enough to want to help out. :thumbsup:

Remember, components like suspension items are just that ....it's only when a part number is embossed on the parts that they become manufacturer specific. Rubber is rubber....etc. A lot of these items were created by the same factories years ago, and crossover parts are always possible. Good luck in the search.

The bar mic's out to .8 or 20mm.

Energy lists a 20.3mm. Hmmm none of the other ones are partial...

I've been to three Advance and 2 O'reilly's.
They have different parts than the other stores in the same chain, but none have the 20.3.

You do realize that .3 of a millimeter is next to nothing, right !!!!

Shorter clamp or taller bushing ...

You can't do much to shorten the clamp BUT you could put a 1/8" shim under the bushing. If need be, weld the shim to a plate the same size as the clamp so the shim can't go anywhere once bolted in.

Someone suggested UHMW or Delrin. I sell this stuff for a living and believe me, you don't want that stuff as sway bar bushings. a) it won't clamp because it has such a low coefficient of friction and b) it is too hard to provide and dampening whatsoever. Avoid any rigid plastic including nylon.

if it's so insignificant, why would the mfg bother?

Just asking...

A little bit left field here, but when I spent months searching for sway bar end links for my Dodge A100, I learned that the Ford Explorer end links were an identical match to the originals.
I am picking you may have thought this way - but if not - take a sample to your parts stores, and search "Beyond Mopar". You may be in luck finding a match or close equivalent. Of course this method relies on the guy at the Parts Store actually caring enough to want to help out. :thumbsup:

Remember, components like suspension items are just that ....it's only when a part number is embossed on the parts that they become manufacturer specific. Rubber is rubber....etc. A lot of these items were created by the same factories years ago, and crossover parts are always possible. Good luck in the search.
That is very correct, because my front sway bar bushings that hang the end links are the ones made for a Ford Ranchero! LOL They even were made red, but fit perfectly! This seems odd because you would think Ranchero parts would be harder to find then roadrunner parts! LOL

Most of the help at the parts stores these days are like tits on a bull.They always start out with "what year,make and model".Most of them can't help if you are out of the standard.When I say it's a 1963 plymouth with a hemi,,,,,,,,,,they look at me with that gaze in the eyes:eek:

Auto Transport Service
Back