• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why the obsession with electric fans?

Watch nice cars go by at car shows that have screaming electric fans. To me, sound awful. Some are so loud that you can't hear the exhaust.

I just parted and sold the carcass of a car for overheating problems. I put a physically larger motor in it so there was no room for a mechanical fan. It ran great for 3,000 miles and the electric fan lost its connection. Fought the overheating that followed and threw parts at it until I got an offer on the rolling chassis. Electric fan problem solved. Never again unless it has a method to kill the spark or light a idiot light.

I just parted and sold the carcass of a car for overheating problems. I put a physically larger motor in it so there was no room for a mechanical fan. It ran great for 3,000 miles and the electric fan lost its connection. Fought the overheating that followed and threw parts at it until I got an offer on the rolling chassis. Electric fan problem solved. Never again unless it has a method to kill the spark or light a idiot light.
So the fan was wired faulty and you didn't have a working temperature gauge to let you know it was getting hot but it's the electric fans fault?? Ok

So the fan was wired faulty and you didn't have a working temperature gauge to let you know it was getting hot but it's the electric fans fault?? Ok
Didn't have the advantage of your expert help. I mostly watch the road, not my gauges, and it doesn't take long for a car to overheat. If it will make you happy, I'll disconnect the switch that cuts spark if I lose oil pressure and start watching my gauge instead. Okay?

Didn't have the advantage of your expert help. I mostly watch the road, not my gauges, and it doesn't take long for a car to overheat. If it will make you happy, I'll disconnect the switch that cuts spark if I lose oil pressure and start watching my gauge instead. Okay?
I’d have to disagree with you, it’s like checking your mirrors, or do you not do that also?

I’d have to disagree with you, it’s like checking your mirrors, or do you not do that also?
Yup, don't fixate on any one thing, head on a swivel & eyes constantly scanning..

BTW this appears to be quite the popular thread..

26”. Clutch Fan. Shroud. Green Coolant. 180 Stat.

High flow this high flow that. Electric fan roar. Don’t need it.

What’s wrong with a thermo clutch, engine driven fan, and a good shroud?
Pretty much what works for me. 22" OEM radiator with a direct drive fan, 180° stat and added a factory type shroud. She runs 180° all day

Cases of engine swaps where distance is an issue there's not much choice, but when it comes to stock(ish) set ups the problem starts when people think that "aftermarket" has to be better than the OE radiator or having their timing way off track.

I'm running 5 cars (Done 340, a 383, 2 x 440's and a 520 lift 426 Hemi). ALL have the factory correct radiator in them down to the part # and all have stock fans, some with clutches and some without. Hell my 383 x 4 gear Bee doesn't even have a radiator shroud. ALL 5 cars run RIGHT on the thermostat.
But you are also in Canada…. My 67 R/T stock 440 with a brand new Glenn Ray 26” radiator, new fan and clutch from Tony D’Agostino, 180 deg high flow thermostat, and a Flow Kooler water pump still creeps up to 205 in muggy 95 degree weather, when stuck in traffic before I even try the A/C. My 66 Charger with a 11.5 to 1 470 runs 180 with an aluminum radiator and electric fan from a Taurus. Same water pump, same thermostat, and the engine make 250 more HP and runs a looser torque converter

Yup, don't fixate on any one thing, head on a swivel & eyes constantly scanning..

BTW this appears to be quite the popular thread..
You know how it is, one guy rants, both sides have to defend their opinion, sometimes an argument brakes out, all part of the forum fun! :rofl:

But you are also in Canada…. My 67 R/T stock 440 with a brand new Glenn Ray 26” radiator, new fan and clutch from Tony D’Agostino, 180 deg high flow thermostat, and a Flow Kooler water pump still creeps up to 205 in muggy 95 degree weather, when stuck in traffic before I even try the A/C. My 66 Charger with a 11.5 to 1 470 runs 180 with an aluminum radiator and electric fan from a Taurus. Same water pump, same thermostat, and the engine make 250 more HP and runs a looser torque converter
LOL.. you think it's below zero here all the time...

Well we have been asked more than once while in the Caribbean what we do with the sled dogs when we leave. Wife just tells them we give the head dog the key to the Igloo just in case it gets too cold out....
:rofl: There are people that think we still ride horses everywhere in Texas, yes people we know about the horseless carriage, we’re not ready for it yet.

They say they are going to finish paving the Interstate here

:rofl: There are people that think we still ride horses everywhere in Texas
You mean you don't?
hawkeye.jpg

Went through all the heat-fighting with Fred a few years back (I have a thread or two on it somewhere on here)
in which I wound up with the high-dollar Griffin "exact fit" aluminum 26" "thick as hell" radiator, which works with
a stock shroud. I did NOT have enough room for any clutch fan setup (including the vaunted "Jaguar" shorty one)
and as a result, I run a direct 6-blade 18" steel fan from Summit on it.

It does fine in summer with Fred's ornery 440 - but I still get nervous when things get real still, the only time temp
gets near halfway on the factory gauge (verified by el cheapo under dash gauge reading 190+).
What I'm saying is I'm still amenable to installing a "backup" small electric pusher fan just for when I'm caught in
traffic in summer - just in case.

I run an electric fan as well as the centrifugal clutch fan in the A100.
Out of pure necessity.
These little cab-over vehicles have very poor air flow from the grille through to the engine.

I have the thermostat set at 190, but the engine normally runs around 175-180 while driving normally.
The only time the fan kicks in is when I'm stuck in traffic...like the time I was in a Christmas Parade.

Electrical loading is not a problem for me....I took all of that into account before installing the fan.

Well since most of my cars are stock I stick with the mechanical fan. I usually just add a bigger fan with more blades along with the stock radiator. I do notice idling in traffic some will get a little hot. Only one has a shroud. My 318 2 barrel. I also went with the bigger factory radiator. My wife's 67 Fury wagon would probably benefit from a shroud. I had the rad flushed and it help out a lot. We will see how next summer goes.

Auto Transport Service
Back