• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wife or car?

it was my understanding that the 340 was still available late 1972, early 73 production, then ended in favor of the 360 to continue the 73 run? im not sure how it applied to B bodies. i don't believe the 340 and 360 were both offered simultaneously?
I believe it was 1971 when mr. norms were taking the 340 demons and putting 3 2 barrels on them. the T/A and AAR's were the only mopars to get a factory 340 3x2 set-up. if for some crazy reason a plant actually had a factory 340 six pack engine sitting around in mid 1972, it would have been from 1970, maybe part of 1971 , and it would have been for a TA or cuda. interestingly, heres a factory brochure with a 71 Challenger T/A offered with a 340 4 barrel and no mention of a six pack. for whatever reason, it never made it into production. I may have read it was due to the government crackdown on emissions, and high insurance rates.
View attachment 925347

Yes....I owned a 73 Cuda that had a factory installed 340.

My EX told.me it was her or my "Stuff!"
..."I'm gonna miss her..." (sung to the tune of Brad Paisley...lol

Wether the car was possible or not isn't really the issue in my opinion. I hear stuff like this all the time about how some guy sold his beloved car because the wife told him to. This is all :bs::bs::bs:. Unfortunately, you married someone who has so little confidence in themselves that they feel threatened by something you enjoy. It's stupid. Kick the wife to the curb or tell her to suck it up. Also unfortunately you guys are consumed by making sure you "get some" and end up "thinking" with the head between your legs rather than the one that's three feet above your ***.

Wow well said! That was a great read. I'm so glad I'm not married.

Not sure that's exactly what she was saying. Nothing wrong with being married, just pick the right lady to do so with!
talladegaorbust2019 971.JPG

Not sure that's exactly what she was saying. Nothing wrong with being married, just pick the right lady to do so with!

True. I would marry IF the right women was out there. But they don't exist in my world. Even the nicest so called women that I know from friends and stories I hear, they're still a P.I.T.A.

Glad it works for you. :thumbsup:

You still want to be correct. Even when i showed that a Z was used, it is still not enough proof. No one said a z replaced any digit. A Z was used when a Special Ordered Vehicle was ordered with an engine that was not on the available list for that year. The factory, IF they had the requested engine available, and they put it into a Special Ordered Vehicle, would put the Z in the fifth place on the VIN because the other letters that represented the available engines would be wrong. The magic words are Special Order. The chances you will ever see a Z would be very slim. Most special ordered vehicles did not ask for a non available engine. They asked for the car to be made in maybe the color, stripes, different interior, or something else. Please do not lose sleep being wrong.
I find it hard to believe a 340-6 was still available ‘4’ (70-71-72-73) model years later. TA blocks where hard to find 2 years later, let alone TA heads-intakes and carbs. Now just maybe they (the dealer) could put the intake assembly on a low compression 340 (available that year) and call it a day. Like Mr Norm did in his Demons.
Might add, a dealer can and will say anything to get your name on that line, car was never built so it’s a moot point.

Last edited:
First i must say, a great wife is worth more then a car. But in 1972 I went to a Dodge dealership and wanted a special car. I special ordered a 1973 Dodge Charger, 340 6 pack. But that engine was not available any longer. The dealer actually called the Factory and they had a 340-6 still available. I order this: 73 Charger, 340-6 with bubble hood, pistol grip 4 speed with a bench seat. Yellow with black stripes, best radio available at the time, Duals and a few other things. The Factory would put a special code on the VIN that states a special ordered engine. I placed the special order. That night my wife cried and complained about the car so i cancelled it the next day. I put my wife before my car. Problem is that 6 months later i got a divorce. I would still put a great wife before any car, but i guess my wife was not great.
Woman will come and go, but a good car is forever. I sold my 69 1/2 Super Bee 440 6 Pack because my girlfriend wanted me to trade it in for a new 1977 Roadrunner. Well she's gone, the Roadrunner is gone and my Super Bee is gone. I sure do miss the Super Bee

I go to a lot of car shows and see the guys there...who knows, buddy, you might be doing "her" a favor!:lol: Unless you can get to know someone without being mesmerized by cleavage, you're probably better off.

I go to a lot of car shows and see the guys there...who knows, buddy, you might be doing "her" a favor!:lol: Unless you can get to know someone without being mesmerized by cleavage, you're probably better off.

Good valid points. :thumbsup:

Ya. And as the get older they drop to the floor. Along with everything else.

LOL.. stuck here in isolation and mine just delivered my beer to the porch.. nope, still up there just fine! LMAO

True. I would marry IF the right women was out there. But they don't exist in my world. Even the nicest so called women that I know from friends and stories I hear, they're still a P.I.T.A.

Glad it works for you. :thumbsup:

They're out there but few and far between - most people at car shows or car events are guys. I drove my 4 speed to the Nats, parked in my class and the woman competitor next to me had to get out and let her husband park the car...:rofl::rofl::rofl: Sorry, that's funny. Then there's the issue with how many of those remaining that may truly be in to cars that are just plain fat. Maybe you like fat but I've heard stories about ruined car seats from being driven by fat people. A guy at my church keeps bugging me about driving my new Challenger R/T. He doesn't just look like he's pregnant, he looks like he's going to give birth to fully grown adult twins. Maybe triplets...at any rate, he ain't getting in my nice car and breaking my seats. I know someone who is legally blind and his fat friend was driving his classic car for him and the guy is so fat that he broke the power seat, not just once but twice.:mad:

Emissions regulations is a valid point, what dealer would risk a federal crime to sell one car. They would sell you the car then hand over the parts for you to install, no warranties. real serious about this stuff back then

My EX told.me it was her or my "Stuff!"
..."I'm gonna miss her..." (sung to the tune of Brad Paisley...lol

I know a guy who built a really nice Vette, don't ask me what year because I don't speak Chevy, his then girl friend suggested he sell the car so they could buy a house. He showed her the door and told her not to let it hit her in the *** on the way out. Someone said it on here about a spouse can come and go but that car is there forever. It's not going to get fat either.

Emissions regulations is a valid point, what dealer would risk a federal crime to sell one car. They would sell you the car then hand over the parts for you to install, no warranties. real serious about this stuff back then

I heard they lied about HP to get around insurance rates. I wouldn't put anything past them.

Ya. And as the get older they drop to the floor. Along with everything else.

Maybe some but not all!! I took a lot of Anatomy and Physiology from Jon Zahourek. He made a great statement which I have always appreciated because after competing in athletics in college, I kept up the training. He says skeletal muscle doesn't know age. If you take care of them and stay in shape, they will keep that shape.
I've seen plenty of guys my age or younger who have definitely fallen victim to the power of gravity...Frank Zane has kept his physique all his life and is still in really good shape at 72. Not so much for Arnold.

I have to ask myself why I am even bothering to respond to this thread. Maybe I have coronavirus...

In 25 years of messing with Mopars I have never seen a ‘Z’ vin designation. Not in person or even in print or online. That being said, could there be one or two out there? Sure. Any use would have undoubtedly been for fleet sales (think CHP) and more often than not a ‘detuned’ version of an existing engine - A-bodies had a special order slant 6 that was a slug.

You would need buying power to make this happen, have it offered as a dealer sales package, or be a Chrysler exec to get anything intentionally special out of the plant in 73. Managers were afraid to go out on the floor let alone push through special orders.

And then we have the engine itself. You obviously understand nothing about the regulations governing auto manufacturers, and yes even in the early 70s. To think that a major car manufacturer would install an engine that was not approved as part of the current year offerings is insane. Lo-po slant 6 in a trim model with a V8 standard? Sure, all day long. Engine that hadn’t been produced in three years and was never offered in that chassis? No way in hell, ever.

I could speculate as to what really happened but I won’t bother. There is a gentleman with a factory 70 Daytona that you would probably get along with.

I know someone who's seen that factory 70 Daytona and he knows all about it. He's a real Mopar geek. I've learned never to say never with a Mopar.

Wife or Car? Son took these pics of her tightening up the bumper and valance after helping her get them on the car. I was at work.......
206.JPG
207.JPG

My wife of 30 years, hates my car but has never, not even once tried to get me to sell it. She understands that I have had it for 39 years and will not go there! I also always buy her a new car less then every 10 years. lol

Woman will come and go, but a good car is forever. I sold my 69 1/2 Super Bee 440 6 Pack because my girlfriend wanted me to trade it in for a new 1977 Roadrunner. Well she's gone, the Roadrunner is gone and my Super Bee is gone. I sure do miss the Super Bee

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: As I mentioned in another post, that car may age somewhat but it's not going to get fat, type 2 diabetes, high BP, etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back