• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wilwoods with non power brakes

Tzclark

Local time
2:06 PM
Reaction score
Are any of you guys running non power brakes with big disks? Just trying to save space.

Are any of you guys running non power brakes with big disks? Just trying to save space.
I have Wilwoods with out power assist on two cars and no problem stopping the 4000 pound 66 Dodge at 125 mph. Just have to make sure you bed in the brakes properly when new and set your proportion valve bias for your car then no problem. Could not put a power brake booster on my 62 Dart because of the max wedge exhaust manifolds but they stop the car just fine. Have them on all four corners by the way.

I'm running them without booster, manual. Stops fine. As stated proportion valve is set right. Some will say however that disc brakes should never be run without power booster.. Mine works just fine.

I have non power assisted Willwoods all around with an adjustable proportioning valve on my 62 Belvedere and they stop just fine. Actually its hard to tell they are not power assisted.

What master cylinder are you fellas running to work with them wilwoods?

I'm also hoping I can run kit 140-9828-d in the front with plain steel rims, anyone confirm if this will work? (Bought the kit years ago for diff project and didn't use)

I'm running the lightweight dodge truck master cylinder with them and also running a Wilwood proportioning valve in the rear line. Been 140 in the quarter at 4250#.

This one from Mancini
53678467-797F-4BEA-A3E4-D16C899A26A5_zpssxgurbk2.png

Although my car is yet to be driven the previous owner had wilwood discs @ all 4 corners with a stock manual mc.... I bought a new Strange mc from a member here and that's all I'm planning on doing....

Wilwood specifically recommended no booster when they did this semi-advertisement with Hot Rod Garage for Mike Finnegan's El Camino.

Some good stuff to take away from here, regardless:

-Kurt

I'm using wilwoods racing set, plus distribution valve, and you said steel wheels...i had to get 18 wheels to clear the wildwood setup.
ResizedImage_1399762875062.jpg
ResizedImage_1399762982644.jpg

Lots of cars with Wilwoods at the track getting lots of hard stops at speed. I've yet to see anybody with power assist. You'll be fine. Like others have said, a well adjusted proportioning valve and away you go.

Lots of cars with Wilwoods at the track getting lots of hard stops at speed. I've yet to see anybody with power assist. You'll be fine. Like others have said, a well adjusted proportioning valve and away you go.

Agreed. To me, power brakes are to braking as overpowered hydraulic steering is to, well, overpowered hydraulic steering.

-Kurt

For my first post that was a great response! Thank- you all, I'll be ordering the Mancini master tomorrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back