• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bleeding brakes on modern cars

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
Sorry Boys - Non Mopar Question
While R&R a master cylinder in the kids' '07 Honda CR-V, I saw more than one Youtuber recommend bleeding the brakes
in this order: LF, RF, FR, RR. Opposite of how I've always done 'em.
I've ALWAYS have bled the brakes the way I have been told to, factory service manual method, and common sense: RR, LR, RF, LF order.
Start at the farthest from the master cylinder (RR) and work closer (most efficient).
Has something changed? I cannot imagine. Newer cars? Or are there lots of people doing it "wrong"?
This is going to be fun today...
IMG_1577.jpg

Ok, in the "you learn something new every day" category, someone learn me why the OP's method which I've always done, has somehow been altered. Is it due to ABS ?

@WileERobby yeah, I wondered about that, but I can't get past the opposite distance to MC issue.
FWIW the ABS is closer to right side of firewall.

I always done it the 'old' way; I'd check the FSM and other reliable sources on it.

It really doesn't matter. Just sayin.
As long as there's no more bubbles, you're done.

Yes. I was reading through some hilarious posts from different FBBO threads. Power bleeder, one man bleeder kit, etc.
Someone chimed in and basically stated: The wife pumping the brake method always works. Leave well enough alone! :rofl:

she knows how to boot, without being yelled at or asking if we're done yet!
Lol, possibly some blue forum material, I know having my wife do the ‘pushing and pumping’. Something like: Yes, please push harder, all the way down, far as you can push it hon, hold it, don’t let up until I tell ya. Something like this.

My wife is an expert pusher.

She knows the lingo-

Floor!

Ready?

That's basically all you need.

my wife's nickname is "Pedals"...... because she always drove a stick back in the day........ she's also well versed in the art brake pumping/bleeding

My wife's nickname is "aluminum foot".

Not quite a lead foot, but you get the idea.

I defer to the old standard BUT one time, I was having trouble getting any pressure or volume to the rear after numerous attempts. Mary asked "Why do you start back there?" I told her that it was the proper procedure but it got me thinking...what did I have to lose by trying the front first?
I went to the right front and within a couple of pumps and bleeds, I went to the back and it was pushing fluid as normal.
Now maybe the rear was just getting ready to flow and I stepped away to do the front just before it did OR the elimination of air in the fronts allowed the rear to then get pressure and volume?
I don't know. It worked.
Some like to say that It isn't stupid if it works.

Auto Transport Service
Back