• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Camping

PeteBell68

Local time
12:03 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone just though I'd post a few pics of us winter camping .
The first night was minus 36 c but it's levelled off around minus 24 now .

IMG_0257.JPG IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0253.JPG IMG_0243.JPG

I did that like 25 years ago with my friends, except we had tents, LOL! People drove by us and shook their heads. I put down a base layer of leaves under the tent & then we put a tarp over the tent. The snow sure kept the beer cold, LOL. I remember one side was burning and the other side was freezing so you had to rotate to try to keep warm.

At least there were no mosquitos to deal with, LOL!

We used to do that a long time ago now I'm just to lazy for all the set up .lol
We have friends here with tents . Our one friend has a Arctic tent with a wood stove in it ,
They have 4 kids it has 6 cots and looks like an army barrack tent .
It is warm in there but you must stoke the stove every 3 hrs or you freeze .
My boys play hockey from 9am till 10 at night solid always a game .

My wife and I made a few winter camping trips in Northwest Louisiana and Arkansas. Freezing (as in around 32 or slightly below) and in a regular tent with lots of blankets. Sleeted a couple of times. We only had one Labrador at the time and she was a prize commodity for heat. We had one dog on a three dog night.

I like winter but no longer camp. Did my fair share of it back in the day and have no interest in doing it anymore. I prefer a warm house and a couch, LOL! I love being outdoors as long as the temps are about 20 to 80. Anything lower or higher is no fun.

Right now it's probably 12 and they are forecasting -10 next Sat without the wind-chill.....

That's funny as well , you definitely have to be committed in a tent . There is a lot of prep work to stay warm

All we had were some air mattresses, sleeping bags & blankets. No heat and man it was a trial to see how long you could stay in the bag before your bladder burst.

All we had were some air mattresses, sleeping bags & blankets. No heat and man it was a trial to see how long you could stay in the bag before your bladder burst.

Getting up to go when your cold is a drag . The trailer makes winter camping quite a bit easier .
Beds are heated blankets are heated it has a 31000 btu furnace and we run a few space heaters it's toasty warm .

When I was in boy scouts we had a polar bear patch. You got it when you accumulated 100 degrees below freezing. I got it in one weekend of tent camping! It was -17 one night and -15 the next.

Been there, done that too. Spent about 1 month in tents in Korea in late January of '68 when they captured the Pueblo. Too damn cold for me.

Camp Alaska as it was called by the local scout troop. My son and I in 95' spent a night in a two man tent with artic style sleeping bags. When we woke up the ceiling of the tent had frozen moisture from our exhaling moisture into the air overnight.

Great memories! Took my wife winter camping here in New Jersey bout 15 years ago. It’s where I proposed to her. Was 15F out, the wine froze in our glasses as we drank it around the fire.

Snowed 4-5” while we slept. We were down a small slick incline and my old Dakota 2WD couldn’t manage... she was too terrified to drive while I shoveled... so she shoveled had to be 1000ft of drive for us to get out.

Said it was the most romantic thing anyone’s ever done for her. I can only thank her ex boyfriends for setting bar so low. I’ve spent the last 15 years wowing her low expectations.

Great memories! Took my wife winter camping here in New Jersey bout 15 years ago. It’s where I proposed to her. Was 15F out, the wine froze in our glasses as we drank it around the fire.

Snowed 4-5” while we slept. We were down a small slick incline and my old Dakota 2WD couldn’t manage... she was too terrified to drive while I shoveled... so she shoveled had to be 1000ft of drive for us to get out.

Said it was the most romantic thing anyone’s ever done for her. I can only thank her ex boyfriends for setting bar so low. I’ve spent the last 15 years wowing her low expectations.

Keeping your lady friend warm ,dry and full of wine in those circumstances will go a long way .

It's -20 right now.
I've spent enough time repairing broken equipment these last 4 days. Sleeping outside in it doesn't sound appealing. Maybe if I built a cool snowfort.
I may get drunk and pass out in my shop next to the woodstove, thats my idea of winter camping.

When I lived in Colorado we did winter camping every year up in mountains while elk hunting. It was cold as a witchs tit as they say - at night. Found sleeping in my underwear I stayed a lot warmer inside my sleeping bag because of the concentration of body heat. We slept in tents with hay underneath to keep the bottom dry. Never trusted those tent heaters while sleeping so we always turned them off before crashing. Slept pretty well. Fresh elk liver over the campfire for breakfast or dinner. Those were some great times with great hunting buddies. Really miss that life. CA just isn’t the same for me.

If I'm roughing it in winter, the camper had better look like this inside.
2015-vantare-h3-45-s3-coach-2384-2.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back