• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wow half a million bucks ($500K) for a Max Wedge?

I own Arlen Vanke's 63 max wedge. Convt. I had a call two weeks ago about buying this car. Lady said her father has owned it for many years etc. I asked for vin and data tag info. There are a few that are not in darels books. I have a 64 convertible also got from original owner in Delaware. I have every piece of paper since new it's 11-1 compression motor. This 63 could be a real one. My 63 is an auto and I just had Arlen build the motor and I have his over the counter back up block and heads I will sell reasonable. The best guy to ask about vin numbers is Walt Redmond. I think if the car is real and in current condition $500k is high.

I missed the ad, so I don't have the VIN #. What is the SPD of the ragtop? Was it built with a steel nose, then converted to aluminum?

The add is incorrect. It's not light weight front end. They ever made one. Mine had one Vanke put on it and so did second owner. The history on this car is great. The lady that called said her father got it from second owner. My 63 is also 11-1 comp. I might go see it and make an offer.

The add is incorrect. It's not light weight front end. They ever made one. Mine had one Vanke put on it and so did second owner. The history on this car is great. The lady that called said her father got it from second owner. My 63 is also 11-1 comp. I might go see it and make an offer.

The seller was going to email me documentation. That was two days ago and I have not gotten a thing. What do I know, it is 1 of 2 with an aluminum front end. I never even bothered to ask what the door hinges were. It is a very cool car regardless and I make no critique of price, but I do know what is real factory and what is not. I also own a fully documented Mopar National 1st place winner 1963 Dodge Polara 500 Max Wedge. I am confused Big Dog. Who owns this car that you may make an offer on? Is it the one in this thread? I am drooling. I wish I had an chance to make a real offer.

A question to ponder: Did anyone here work at or know someone who worked at Chrysler and didn't know of "parts" that walked out the back door? Either to their own garage or a race team? Records kept are great for authenticating but seldom tell the whole story.
Not saying it did or didn't happen, just wondering........................

reminds of that song johnny cash sang about working for cadillac:headbang:

All I can say guys is crow really doesn't taste that bad. I spoke with the owner of the car and he sent me many photos of the car and paperwork. It is the real deal and not a built car. If you want contact him as I did to see the proof. This will turn a lot of folks on their ear. I am going to email Darrell Davis about this and see if he knows about this car.

In the mopar world nothing is a surprise. there are so many odd cars and these so called x-sperts are just that. the car is legit. mine raced against it. I may even have a picture or two from back then. I have friends I know would never put any of their cars in anything Galen is involved with. Davis is a good guy. But even he does not have all the answers. the best guy on the stats is Walt Redmond. He was with mopar for many years doing the vin and data tag codes etc. I get my info from him.. this is a great car to buy. I do not see why someone has not grabbed it yet, and one does not need to have a mullet for anything prior to 67. hahahaha

Bigdog; I do not see why someone has not grabbed it yet said:
Because most people don't have 1/2 million bucks to blow on a toy they can't drive !!:eusa_think:

What does SPD mean, sorry but this is new to me, just got into mopars ?

Scheduled Production Date.

The aluminum pkg wasn't offered until late Feb-early March. If it is in the DD book as a steel nose car, then that is what the IBM card had listed on it, he doesn't make anything up or pull the stats out of thin air. I am not saying this car wasn't delivered with the aluminum pkg, just that DD must have seen the original IBM card and listed that info in his book.

Was this car pulled off the line and had the alloy nose installed for the show?

Scheduled Production Date.

The aluminum pkg wasn't offered until late Feb-early March. If it is in the DD book as a steel nose car, then that is what the IBM card had listed on it, he doesn't make anything up or pull the stats out of thin air. I am not saying this car wasn't delivered with the aluminum pkg, just that DD must have seen the original IBM card and listed that info in his book.

Was this car pulled off the line and had the alloy nose installed for the show?

that's what i believe it was a "show car" to give people the "what if" factor,
if this car was built to compete in the SS/A super stock automatic class back in 1963 then they were way off as the factory 330's and 440's of the same class would be much lighter and go much faster,
don't get me wrong here it is a very awesome car, i would love to see it sell for any amount and someone restore it to its former glory..

The reason for it being a convertible was the weight distribution to the rear was much better because of the way it was built!!!

I was thinkin the 63 was a little early for the aluminum front, myself. I don't know much about them....only what I have read. That's not much. I thought the aluminum front cars were the A990 designation. Am I mistaken? At any rate, I would like to learn more.

Not sure of the exact date but I know 63 lightweights were available from approx April 63, ie quite late in the model year.

Convertible / lightweight front / record holder it might be, but I cant see anyone paying more than $150k tops :eusa_snooty:

.....Convertible / lightweight front / record holder it might be, but I cant see anyone paying more than $150k tops :eusa_snooty:

I don't know.... a 70 hemi Cuda convertable sold at Russo and Steele’s Scottsdale auction last year for $1.7 million and that was 1 of many. A 1 of 1 documented Max Wedge national record holder with proven race history is easily worth $500K to the right collector. People who pay that much for cars generally don't drive them much. They become investments and they're parked in a climate controlled garage 99% of the time. When you think about it, for some rare cars that's the best way to preserve them.

I don't know.... a 70 hemi Cuda convertable sold at Russo and Steele’s Scottsdale auction last year for $1.7 million and that was 1 of many. A 1 of 1 documented Max Wedge national record holder with proven race history is easily worth $500K to the right collector. People who pay that much for cars generally don't drive them much. They become investments and they're parked in a climate controlled garage 99% of the time. When you think about it, for some rare cars that's the best way to preserve them.

Preserve them for what,to say I have something you don't have even though I can't drive it ? If I can't drive it I don't want it ! :icon_confused:

While most of us want to be able to drive what we own, there is those who do want to just be able to say, "I got one, and you don't!" They buy "bragging rights"

All I can say guys is crow really doesn't taste that bad. I spoke with the owner of the car and he sent me many photos of the car and paperwork. It is the real deal and not a built car. If you want contact him as I did to see the proof. This will turn a lot of folks on their ear. I am going to email Darrell Davis about this and see if he knows about this car.

All I will say is I was a bit hasty, and I take back my above statement and I will leave it at that.

All I will say is I was a bit hasty, and I take back my above statement and I will leave it at that.

So does this mean now you DON'T believe it's real? I am confrooshed. But that don't take much. lol

Auto Transport Service
Back