• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wow half a million bucks ($500K) for a Max Wedge?

My name is Jeff Hyder I restored this 1963 Polara Max Wedge convertible completely in about 1989 when I was employed as a shop foreman at Carolina classic car restoration's in Simpsonville South Carolina owned by Ron Ayers. It is an aluminum front end original to the car, bumper, grill, hood, fenders, headlight rings etc. etc. you can see the different coloring of the aluminum bumper in the front and the chrome bumper on the rear in the photo. It has the original 426 Max wedge rebuilt by Dan Dvorak out of Gainsville, Fla. in what he refers to as the total seal concept. I have seen this car contested by racers at different drag strips around the country and the engine was torn down to ensure compliance it always passed inspection . I was responsible for transporting the car to the NHRA events (pulling a huge red enclosed trailer behind a souped up white crew cab Chevy dualie with a rad 454 ci. Motor) oh what fun, then Mike Davis out of Columbus Ga. came in to race it. We installed a Race Pak setup purchased from King Racing (Kenny Bernstien) and determined that a different gear ratio was needed to get the most out of it. Mike wanted to hit the lights just before the exact rpm that the Dyno claimed the horsepower began to drop, approx 7200 rpm. 4.75 gears were purchased (had to buy many sets because 4.75 was not available. In order to create a new ratio not offered by Richmond Gear you had to purchase a minimum number of sets. Not sure how many. It got pretty expensive at times.) after installing these gears I witnessed the car run 10.72 although unofficial at the Texas Motorplex. Later that same day it rain an official 10.89. Most of the remaining gearsets that were purchased were sold to other racers after seeing what it did for the performance. It always used 9 inch slicks (B stock rules) it had no tubbing done and it had a webbed frame from the factory. It also had a sticker in the glovebox that said " this vehicle intended for acceleration time trials only and not intended for street use " original motor and trans although trans had lightweight aluminum drums installed. The motor was blueprinted to stock specs except for the cam duration which was allowed by NHRA at that time, the lift was stock, carburetors were included in the process. There was an article in Mopar magazine December 1990 the listed my shop and the crew that restored the car. I was around this car almost daily for approximately two years all over the southeastern drag racing circuit. This car truly drew major attention everywhere we took it. The paint was flawless and beautiful so much that Mike Davis would put baby powder on the back of the sponsor decals making them less sticky so they could be removed without damaging the paint after each race. Still $500,000 is ridiculous I agree. I would love to see this car again today as it's one of my favorites that I ever did.
I just happened upon this thread and was amazed to see the car that I had worked on for so long in the news that's why I responded, hope the info helps clarify the discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Just realized this thread was 2 or 3 years ago. I won't expect much response. heHe

Thanks for joining and telling the story tailwind jr. Max wedge vert 500k. Hearing the cars history from the person who lived it, priceless!

The seller was going to email me documentation. That was two days ago and I have not gotten a thing. What do I know, it is 1 of 2 with an aluminum front end. I never even bothered to ask what the door hinges were. It is a very cool car regardless and I make no critique of price, but I do know what is real factory and what is not. I also own a fully documented Mopar National 1st place winner 1963 Dodge Polara 500 Max Wedge. I am confused Big Dog. Who owns this car that you may make an offer on? Is it the one in this thread? I am drooling. I wish I had an chance to make a real offer.
Door hinges should be steel on the 63 cars. The 64 cars had aluminum hinges and the 65s had steel also.

For $500k! Think of what else you could buy or do with that kind of scratch! Definitely a cool car - but that's serious money to pay for any car let alone a 63 I don't care what its history is.....

That Thing Will Sit For Half A Million Bucks! And The Time Is Only A 10.8 @ 123! I Was Going 11.7 @127 In The Day With A Bone Stock Max-Wedge!

127 mph with a bone stock max wedge? You're dreaming. NHRA stock eliminator cars with Max Wedge seldom run 127. And they certainly didn't run 127 "back in the day". The current D/SA record is held by a 71 6 pack charger [email protected]. A Max Wedge would run in B/SA so a good one might go 130. This is a blueprinted state of the art Stocker motor with cam, headers, MSD, electric water pump,modern ring pack. Should I go on?
Doug

Here is another 63 convertible Max Wedge. I think Scott was a record holder also.

Attachments

• Scott Carlson 63 Pits.jpg
    Scott Carlson 63 Pits.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 295
  • DAVE_YOUNG_B_SA_01_CLASSS_NTS 03 12 13.jpg
    DAVE_YOUNG_B_SA_01_CLASSS_NTS 03 12 13.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 258
Thanks for joining and telling the story tailwind jr. Max wedge vert 500k. Hearing the cars history from the person who lived it, priceless!

x2 on that. I love hearing these old stories....a cool piece of history that should go with the car. :icon_thumright:

63 max wdge convt, this car was never tubbed, mini or otherwise,govier inspected and decoded this car oct 12th 2005, this was a fatory built car that was shown by dodge at the new york auto show, moon mullins the chrysler dist rep said it was for display only and not for sale, eventually it was sold to walter hall a chrysler employee who raced this car then named devastation and was featured in national dragster in the 60's and 70's mike davis bought bought this car in the 80's and raced it till 1992
I don't know if you will see this because it has been many years, but actually my father was the original owner of this car. He had asked Walter Hall to hold his car while he was drafted in the military. We actually have the original pictures of the car with all the drag racing trophies as well as the original registration of the car.

image.jpeg

Welcome Danielle!

How did you ever find this post? Amazing

I'm wondering who owns the car now?

Well, dusting off this thread might find some answers.
My dad was randomly looking at a drag racing site Dover west Hampton Islip that he used to go to and there was a listing about this car on it for eBay. We then found all the pictures and registration. The info and that cite stopped so I found this forum.

I don't know if you will see this because it has been many years, but actually my father was the original owner of this car. He had asked Walter Hall to hold his car while he was drafted in the military. We actually have the original pictures of the car with all the drag racing trophies as well as the original registration of the car.

View attachment 337535

image.jpeg

This is the stuff that I live for! I can't afford it but wow!
Check out the size of that "under driven" alternator pully!

Welcome to the world of FBBO. I wish you luck in finding this car. It's a cool one!

Auto Transport Service
Back