• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrong 440 MSD? Wired incorrectly?

68Satellite440

Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
I have this MSD distributor on my 440, as I am told by other people it is wrong and a Chevy style.
It was put on by a shade tree shop that was paid by the previous owner. The car seems to run fine, but in comparison to other peoples car my wiring seems wrong.
I’m also incredibly dumb about wiring and ignition systems and something I'm still trying to learn.

The distributor had a single red hot wiring coming from the 12v regulator on the firewall in the 2nd photo on the Ignition side. I believe its wiseco brand? It receives power from wiring harness on FLD side? I dont know what FLD means.

Every other MSD setup ive seen was a regulator to a coil to the distributor. Is this wired wrong, wrong system, or is this something I don’t understand?

056FFB48-F975-47F5-94C8-159CF4B1EF6E.jpeg

61871FC0-0319-4614-B49F-403517A69BB8.jpeg

I agree. Get that POS HEI ice cream pail junk off your motor.
Put it on Craigslist for 8 bucks.

It is wired correctly. An HEI ignition has the coil built in to the top of the cap and the only wiring required is 12 volt feed.

Does anyone have a picture of whats the correct setup? I don’t have the knowledge to replace this if I even wanted to.

If it runs good and it doesn't worry you - maybe just leave it until something goes wrong with the current setup.
Have a look at Progression Ignition.

I have this MSD distributor on my 440, as I am told by other people it is wrong and a Chevy style.
It was put on by a shade tree shop that was paid by the previous owner. The car seems to run fine, but in comparison to other peoples car my wiring seems wrong.
I’m also incredibly dumb about wiring and ignition systems and something I'm still trying to learn.

The distributor had a single red hot wiring coming from the 12v regulator on the firewall in the 2nd photo on the Ignition side. I believe its wiseco brand? It receives power from wiring harness on FLD side? I dont know what FLD means.

Every other MSD setup ive seen was a regulator to a coil to the distributor. Is this wired wrong, wrong system, or is this something I don’t understand?

View attachment 1497744

View attachment 1497745
What makes you think it is MSD? Is there a tag on it?

Also just read this bit of info. Guess this could also be what causes my car to be a turd off idle take off?

3F603134-420D-4F20-8517-4C8748B522B2.png

I agree. Get that POS HEI ice cream pail junk off your motor.
Put it on Craigslist for 8 bucks.
Or a possible use for it is to tie a rope to it......and use it as a boat anchor......its just like turd in a swimming POOL....UGLY......that's why GM puts their distributor on the back of the engine....to disguise it.....
BOB RENTON

This is an electronic ignition distributor for a 440
s-l1600.jpg

This is a Factory style ECU kit. This is more modern than what your car would have came with. But, Its closer to stock looking. Coil would have been black or blue.. Not really sure as it was before my time. The Distributor above looks more like the original style, the one below is some fancy billet style.

s-l1600.jpg

Avoid a Chinese knock off and just buy a good used set up , save a few bucks and get one ready to go... Just my opinion..
Ray @HALIFAXHOPS

This is an electronic ignition distributor for a 440
View attachment 1498028
This is a Factory style ECU kit. This is more modern than what your car would have came with. But, Its closer to stock looking. Coil would have been black or blue.. Not really sure as it was before my time. The Distributor above looks more like the original style, the one below is some fancy billet style.

View attachment 1498029
The distributor you show is for an LA engine, as it turns in the opposite rotation from an B/RB engine. It looks like a Chinese ECU and maybe the coil as well......the ballast resistor is of unknown resistance and is of the closed back design, subject to early failure particularly if not matched to the coil and ECU. Call Ray @HALLIFAXHOPS to get you the correct components......fancy appearing gizmos do not necessarily work any better.......
BOB RENTON

If it runs good and it doesn't worry you - maybe just leave it until something goes wrong with the current setup.
Have a look at Progression Ignition.
I second Progression Ignition. I run this on my 69 GTX. Never ran better.

The distributor you show is for an LA engine, as it turns in the opposite rotation from an B/RB engine. It looks like a Chinese ECU and maybe the coil as well......the ballast resistor is of unknown resistance and is of the closed back design, subject to early failure particularly if not matched to the coil and ECU. Call Ray @HALLIFAXHOPS to get you the correct components......fancy appearing gizmos do not necessarily work any better.......
BOB RENTON
I was just giving him examples of what the stock stuff looked like. I know its not exactly but its closer to stock look than a Chevy HEI... I agree on the China made ECU too they are junk.

You have an excellent ign system with THAT dist. It is the GM HEI design. No need to change it.....ignorance abounds!
Consider these FACTS:
- the Chrys elec ign system limits plug gaps to 0.035". GM specified 0.060" plug gaps for the HEI, & 0.080" for some engines. That is because the HEI produces more spark energy.
- GM HEI dists are now made for all popular non-GM engines. You will not find Chrys ign systems being made for non-Chrys engines. Why is that?
- the HEI is a one wire hook up [ two wires if you have a tach ]. Much simpler, less external connections that come loose/corrode than the Ch system.
- the centri adv mech is in the top of the HEI, very easy access to adjust/modify.
Your dist has an adj vac adv unit. A very desirable feature.

the HEI works fine.. i don't like them but they work and 1 wire to run them... If it runs good don't worry bout it. And don't listen to cavemen that think anything non mopar shouldn't exist :)

Auto Transport Service
Back