• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wtb 8 3/4 complete passenger side axle shaft,power steering gear

coronet1967

Local time
8:23 PM
Reaction score
Hello I am looking to buy a passenger side axle shaft complete ready to bolt in. I had the car at a local shop. I asked if they knew how to work on an older vehicle said yes. It had an axleshaft leak pretty bad on the passenger side leaking all over the brake shoes coming out and leaking on the side of the tire $1000 later told it was fixed only to find out that they did not fix it and scammed me. Even had the car at a local dealership said it was normal but was not even close to being normal. the steering gear has a lot of play in it very loose wonders all over the road past 35 mph and need a better one. Would have to be shipped to 18103 Allentown PA. The car was my mom and dads. They are both passed away now. The car is very sentimental to me even passed my driver test in it am disabled and i just want to enjoy the car. Thanks again in advance. Also might be looking for a stock disk brake kit for it as well would be great to have disk up front

If it's stinky gear oil then it's the inner seal in the tube that is gone or rear axle is overfilled, one or both. If it's just grease it's the outer seal in the retainer plate. Just replacing the axle assembly will do nothing if the inner seal is toast.
beerestoration2017 466.JPG

If it is the one you are showing me in the picture that one was replaced the grease looks like it is comeing out on the inside of the end play adjuster where axle shaft goes threw the adjuster

That one's a "tad" more work to replace, but someone really must have packed some grease to the bearing if it continues to leak. Why I asked if the stuff coming out reeks of gear oil.

beerestoration2017 541.JPG beerestoration2017 543.JPG beerestoration2017 544.JPG beerestoration2017 545.JPG beerestoration2017 546.JPG beerestoration2017 547.JPG beerestoration2017 548.JPG beerestoration2017 549.JPG beerestoration2017 550.JPG beerestoration2017 553.JPG

The power steering gear I have has the original pitman arm attached. I will take them off the Kmember tomorrow and take some pictures. as far as working condition... Your guess is as good as mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back