• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yankee Express RestoMod Project

Ok... this engine is an "RB" block, cast crank, "902" heads,8.9:1 compression,
4.32 bore/ 3.75 stroke, built in Trenton 6/4/1974. From what I have gathered so far, the open chambered "902" heads flow as good or better than the "906" heads. This motor has the raised rib along the sides of the block just above the freeze plugs, thicker ears, 10% more cast iron in the block, good thick cylinder walls so I can bore it .60 over if I like, raised deck, increased sized cooling passages, and is classed as a truck engine. The scoop says the cast crank is fine up to 600HP as are the pistons and the block. So I guess my path forward will be to have the block and bare heads hot tanked, sonic checked, honed/bored .30 over, parallel decked, and hardened seats installed on the exhaust side. A 30 degree angle cut on the valves is also a good bet. Porting and smoothing, Gold Race rockers, new springs, small cam, 850 Demon, M1 intake, 2" carb spacer, high volume oil pump, 3/8 fuel line, new rings, performance gasket set, performance ignition. With those things installed it should put out 502 LB-FT @ 3700RPM, 512 LB-FT @ 4900RPM and 519 HP@ 5400 RPM. or thereabouts..lol.

WP_20161227_13_56_13_Pro.jpg WP_20161227_13_56_36_Pro.jpg WP_20161227_13_56_59_Pro.jpg WP_20161227_13_59_22_Pro.jpg WP_20161227_14_04_08_Pro.jpg WP_20161227_13_55_07_Pro.jpg WP_20161227_13_55_16_Pro.jpg

The wedge heads heads are the biggest chock point to making real power
a bit of pocket porting under the valves, smooth radiuses etc.
some gasket matching the heads & intake
will also help a tad bit too...
A performance multi angle valve job never hurts either...

you could also go to a 2.14" intake valve & that may help a tad too

it's not that tough to do,
get a book on head porting & do a bit of grinding
you don't have to go wild, you don't need to go big,
but it will certainly help to get you to that
500+ ft lb's of torgue #'s

you have a good start, should be a good torque monster

good luck

Merry Christmas GR, one thing i would check into and this is just going off of my memory...but when i bought my 67 it came with a fresh machined .60 over block with cast pistons... i searched for 60 over hypes & forged pistons and without going to a custom piston all i could find were 55 overs...the 60s were the heavy trw/ speed pros and i think bill miller made them too...Seemed to be limited resources...
Im sure someone can correct me or provide additional info...

Merry Christmas GR, one thing i would check into and this is just going off of my memory...but when i bought my 67 it came with a fresh machined .60 over block with cast pistons... i searched for 60 over hypes & forged pistons and without going to a custom piston all i could find were 55 overs...the 60s were the heavy trw/ speed pros and i think bill miller made them too...Seemed to be limited resources...
Im sure someone can correct me or provide additional info...
"I can go .60 over if I like..." I don't like. .30 if the cylinders are in rough shape, otherwise just a good honing out. Gasket matching and port matching for sure and yes less is more when talking about removing material from an intake runner or a head. The idea isn't so much to make the ports larger as it is to slightly reshape them with the idea of smoothing the flow stream across them. A minor ridge is like a giant ski jump to engine air flow. Cant fly without air flow..

I guess i could have stated it a little differently.... i just had a hard time locating quality .060 over pistons....while .055 were readily available from many different mfgs....

I guess i could have stated it a little differently.... i just had a hard time locating quality .060 over pistons....while .055 were readily available from many different mfgs....
Oh. I was not upset. Just reiterating what I said before. I would never go that far over. I appreciate the info, I was unaware.

I bought a set of 11" front disc brake spindles today for the Express. Came with the rotors, calipers and all the guts. they are from a 1976 Plymouth Volare. I have been having some combat related issues for the last few weeks and have not been on here with much about the car, haven't done anything. But. I'll get back in to it soon!!

WP_20170204_17_39_47_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
I'm here for ya Ghost if ya need me!

I bought a set of 11" front disc brake spindles today for the Express. Came with the rotors, calipers and all the guts. they are from a 1976 Plymouth Volare. I have been having some combat related issues for the last few weeks and have not been on here with much about the car, haven't done anything. But. I'll get back in to it soon!!

View attachment 393315
Nice score Ghost,
keep on fighting the good fight...

Awesome, sounds like a fun motor. My only suggestion would be to thoroughly check the heads before investing in them. If they need guides, valve job, surfaced, hardware, etc it adds up quick. Had I known how much I'd have in mine I would have bought aluminum heads. My heads needed everything so......

Awesome, sounds like a fun motor. My only suggestion would be to thoroughly check the heads before investing in them. If they need guides, valve job, surfaced, hardware, etc it adds up quick. Had I known how much I'd have in mine I would have bought aluminum heads. My heads needed everything so......
That is my intent. I also bought that truck for the 440 in it, so, i'll have two sets to begin with. I'm looking around for machinists now, may drive over to Rutland this week to speak with a likely place.

Nice score, can't wait to see you back at it.

I guess you may have not seen it on another thread so here's some pics. It has a 1970's something 440 wedge in it that already has the Edelbrock Performer 440 intake on it and a 750 CFM Holley, chrome covers, nice heavy duty spark plug wires and it has all of the normal bits and pieces to end up with a running installed engine. This engine does in fact run and the truck drives fine. So I have this one AND the one my wife bought for me for Christmas as well, the blue one in this thread...and I only paid $700.00 bucks for this truck.

WP_20170117_14_59_17_Pro.jpg WP_20170117_14_59_30_Pro.jpg WP_20170117_15_15_04_Pro.jpg WP_20170117_15_15_18_Pro.jpg WP_20170117_15_15_28_Pro.jpg WP_20170117_15_22_02_Pro.jpg WP_20170117_15_22_30_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Bought a replacement center grille unit for the Charger headlight set up from Don here on FBBO and it is very nice! So now I don't have to worry about trying to weld together the other one.

I bought a new air compressor from Home Depot and it will be delivered Monday. Finally I will have oil and water free air. I remodeled the garage a bit today, new shelving and organizing. Cleaned up and dragged the old air compressor outside. The new one is an upright 60 gallon variety. 14,5 cfm at 90psi. It's a Husky.

37e57861-5d39-4053-9233-5e0922082097_400.jpg

Glad things are coming together for you. Shop space and organizing is a must!
Keep us up to date with your work in progress!

I do, I just have not done much this winter. I have had had some other issues as well that kept me out of the garage. Spring is around the corner and i'm itching to get at it. I'm hoping that the new compressor will allow my sand blasting rig to work. Had too much oil in the air before. I need to clean up all of the chassis stuff. I did pick up a set of front disc brakes w/ spindles over the winter, and a front grill. I need to get whatever rear end i'm going to use, I've got three, cleaned up and narrowed. Need wheels first though, with tires mounted, to get the total distance to cut out of the housing. Plus I have a shitload of wiring to take care of too.

Auto Transport Service
Back