• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yard find

DJD

Local time
6:51 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Last week I just picked up a 1970 Road Runner that has been sitting for the last 10 years in a back yard field area. It appears fairly original other than it was repainted sometime in the past.
The car is originally yellow. 383 with a 833 4 speed and Dana 60 rear. hood package and air grabber from the numbers on the fender tag .Interior looks stock.
If the car is a number matching car I will keep it that way.
Is this the right forum to ask for help?

- - - Updated - - -

SAM_4407.jpg

Please post the complete fender tag, I doubt the car you decoded above came with a Dana 60.

SAM_4426.jpgSAM_4428.jpgI entered the numbers of the fender tag online and came up with the info above.
I have read where the tag is like a lot of old cars and doesn't always have all the options listed on the tags. The engine and trans date code are prior to the build date. It does have (on the car now)a Dana 60 differential and disk brakes up front. I am still looking for the build sheet in the car.
I'm here to listen and learn. I know someone had many years to replace parts on this one. I want to know what you know.
Did no 383 RR ever come with Dana 60?

Yes, you are at the right place. Welcome. We need more pics of the car.

View attachment 229432View attachment 229433I entered the numbers of the fender tag online and came up with the info above.
I have read where the tag is like a lot of old cars and doesn't always have all the options listed on the tags. The engine and trans date code are prior to the build date. It does have (on the car now)a Dana 60 differential and disk brakes up front. I am still looking for the build sheet in the car.
I'm here to listen and learn. I know someone had many years to replace parts on this one. I want to know what you know.
Did no 383 RR ever come with Dana 60?

Only under warranty as replacement for 3.91 with 4 spd if it failed.

Only under warranty as replacement for 3.91 with 4 spd if it failed.

Thanks for that info. I assume it's a Dana 60. The cast # on the rear of the diff. is C34155 and below that is a 60. On the passenger axle tube is 877B and 602957 1. Driver side has 6 leaf springs and passenger has 7

I am more concerned with the engine stamp on the passenger side just rear of the motor mount. that is #9G294248. Is that a VIN?
SAM_4237.jpgSAM_4230.jpgSAM_4232.jpgSAM_4256.jpg

Nice find! Is your rear axle pumpkin smooth on the back or does it have a rectangular bar going up and down the back?

Nice find! Is your rear axle pumpkin smooth on the back or does it have a rectangular bar going up and down the back?

Hey Ghostrider,
Here are a couple pictures.SAM_4430.jpgSAM_4432.jpgSAM_4443.jpgSAM_4445.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

more pictures

Attachments

• SAM_4210.jpg
    SAM_4210.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,072
  • SAM_4220.jpg
    SAM_4220.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,078
  • SAM_4221.jpg
    SAM_4221.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • SAM_4222.jpg
    SAM_4222.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,056
Yes, that's a Dana. Nice car - great find!

Looks like a jewel in the rough!! Give her a bath and lets see what you've got.

Thanks DJD, I love those pics and hope you find the build sheet, hopefully it helps determine if the 60 was factory. I have a RR with a 60 but the fender tag shows the STP option.

If that Dana is original to the 383 car, it would be a rarity. Not necessarily more valuable, just far more rare.

Thanks guys for your support.
So we now know it is a Dana 60 but rare if born with. I read where the Hemi and 440 could have this as an option.
Found something else confusing.
It has Disk Brakes up front. They look stock not aftermarket. Do these have ID numbers on them????

B-I-N-G-O !

Great find!
Great car!
And, you have a Dana as a little "icing on the cake"

If it were me, Id pick up a 8 3/4, sell the Dana and use that $$ to fix your car......

Again, congrads on your find!

Welcome!

Looks like you found a great car! I agree with others that it would be highly unlikely that a car with a 383 would have a Dana. Like others have suggested, see if you can find the build sheet. I would bet it originally came with a 3.23 open rear 8.75". I say this due to the fact that there are no performance axle codes on your trim tag, so the standard axle was probably supplied.

I look forward to seeing your progress! I am restoring a 1970 Road Runner with a 383 and air grabber too - great car!

Auto Transport Service
Back