• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yes, they are still out there waiting to be discovered!

Great find! I love the idea of dropping in the hemi and running it as is!!

Awesome score! Sounds like you paid the daughter a fair price for a dream car so it's a win-win for everyone.

Wow that is a great find! Love the QQ1 blue on 68 cars. Keep us updated on the progress of the car as you go! Good luck
Matt

The following errors occurred with your submission
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters.

Still cleaning out the car and sorting parts. What I thought was a pile of seatbelts behind the seat turned out to be an aircraft style 3 point harness bolted to the floor. Also there is an old label maker sticker on the dash. I wish I could find someone who knew the car from back when it raced at Fremont to get more history.

243.jpg
2410.jpg

For as bad as the car looks, it is really solid. The only structural rust is the passenger lower quarter and it's only on the outside. None in the rear window corners. Check out the brand new Belted TA tire that was on it still holding air.

246.jpg
247.jpg
245.jpg
248.jpg

I found the rest of the build sheet, unfortunately the black back seat is from a '69 GTX. If this is your car, let me know and I will send what's left of the sheet to you.

241.jpg
242.jpg

Grill and extra trunk panel.

244.jpg

243.jpg 2410.jpg 246.jpg 247.jpg 248.jpg 245.jpg 241.jpg 242.jpg 244.jpg

Congrats on an awesome find. What part of central Or are you in? Would love to see the car and compare notes.

Congrats on an awesome find. What part of central Or are you in? Would love to see the car and compare notes.

I'm located in Prineville. Draw an X on the map of Oregon and where the lines cross in the middle is home. If you get this way, definitely give me a shout. You are welcome to come by, we can probably even find something cold to drink in the shop fridge.

Between other projects I have been tinkering on the GTX. Found out it still has the numbers matching Hemi transmission in it. When they put the 440 in, they changed the K frame to a regular V8 one. The hemi torsion bars and the swaybar are still there. Not a big deal on the k frame, the mounts I have for the 472 are for a V8 K frame, just need to add a skid plate. I found a set of used blue seat covers. I am still looking for a used set of blue door panels and a used black or blue carpet if anybody has them. I also found these Hemi inserts on E-bay, they are original and weathered enough to look right.

inserts.jpg

For now the GTX is just going get coated in matte clear rust encapsulator on the outside to keep it from surface rusting anymore. The only real cancer is in the right lower quarter. I have already treated it with Rustmort to stop it from spreading.

246.jpg

I plan to drive it with the 472 pretty much as is. It has earned its' battle cars and for now they are going to stay.

I'm coming back to California and ill go by rons house if he is still alive and ask him if he remembers this car. Alex could ask rob Bennett or my dad can

I'm coming back to California and ill go by rons house if he is still alive and ask him if he remembers this car. Alex could ask rob Bennett or my dad can

That would be really cool. I would love to find the history prior to 1978 when the last owner purchased it. Before that it lost the Hemi and was in a wreck and repainted. According to the last owners son, it was raced by the previous owner. The firewall pinch weld on the passenger was pounded flat- possibly for header clearance at some point. There is also 2 1" holes drilled in the firewall on the drivers side- maybe for a cable drive tach? There was a cable drive distributor in the trunk.

Thanks for the help.

Agreed on the "still out there". I just scooped up this 73 Javelin AMX 4speed, GO Pack, Tilt, AC car last weekend. Factory color is Olympic Blue.

2m28b2u.jpg

Outlaw,
Yup...it's official....
I hate you!

Congratulations on the find of a lifetime!
A 68 Hemi GTX!

One of 410 built!

Outlaw,
Yup...it's official....
I hate you!

Congratulations on the find of a lifetime!
A 68 Hemi GTX!

One of 410 built!

Ski- Thanks for the congrats. PS- hate the GM guys, all of us Mopar guys are in this together! (lol)

Agreed on the "still out there". I just scooped up this 73 Javelin AMX 4speed, GO Pack, Tilt, AC car last weekend. Factory color is Olympic Blue.

2m28b2u.jpg

Cool car, my best friends older brother had a '73 Javelin with a 401 back when we were in high school and it was PDQ.

Last edited:

2m28b2u.jpg

That would be a great looking car, restored.

The 440 is out, found out both head gaskets were blown. That is probably why it was parked in '83. Cleaning and prepping the engine compartment for the 472. The whole body has been sealed with Eastwood rust encapsulator and the grill and trim has been put back on. I am getting ready to install the Dana 60 that came with the car with a set of Super Stock springs. The front wheels that were on the car got new tires and suspension will get rebuilt along with the brakes. Checked the tank and other than a little varnish in the bottom, it is clean and not rusty, so it will get flushed and reused with a new 1/2" sending unit.

113.jpg
115.jpg
114.jpg
111.jpg
112.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back