• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your 69 road runner was my first car, I want it back.

northerndave

Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
In my thread title, I hint at the scenario I find myself in.

Several years back I purchased a 69 road runner in good mechanical condition, a running, driving car with a shaggy body. A 35 yr old repaint, poorly done and artfully decorated with cartoon mural scenes and some old school panel painting.

Here's the shaggy old gal about to come apart for some much needed repairs.

102_5629.jpg

102_5626.jpg

102_5627.jpg

102_5630.jpg

She had some real quick dent pulling, mud filling and a really crappy repaint done, and it looked like it was done in a hurry.

102_5653.jpg

Slide hammer pull holes in a quarter panel, with bondo noodles oozing through the back side.

102_5657.jpg

She was kind of a mess.

102_5755.jpg

102_5754.jpg

I suppose it wasn't too far out of the ordinary as far as areas needing repairs.

102_6087.jpg

Image_1365374765800_zpsf53e778e.jpg

IMG_8983-1_zpse0992100.jpg

Put her back to the original T7 with the white vinyl top, after a lot of metal work.

rearviewmid_zps628b7638.jpg

fronttopquarter_zpsa861350c.jpg

Remarkably, along the way we found that the engine and trans are not only correct but they are original to the car and everything matches up nicely, non conflicting with fender tag data. Bonus.

Hey, I've got my Road Runner back on the road, it's my car, not a customers car, but finally one I've done for me and I'm happy with it, I like the car.

Ok, here's where it gets interesting.

I get a txt message from a friend on Saturday.

He says there's a guy been trying to track me down, he worked his search through car clubs. Heard there was a guy that had purchased a white road runner with a crazy mural paint job and he was from my area. That's how he tracked me down, through car club members that kept pointing him north, slowly he zerod in on my area and was eventually talking with friends of mine who were reluctant to give out my number until they asked me if it was ok.

So I called the guy.

I asked him what's up? Do you know the car? Got some history with it?

He says yes, it was his first car, he got it used and went to prom in that car in around 1972.

He went on to tell me all he knew about the car, mysteries were solved, it was a fun conversation.

He explained the white paint job, basically the car belonged to his older brother in around 1974 when they had some midnight shenanigans that I'm lead to believe involved a chase, some dukes of hazard style body damage, and the urgent need for the car to change colors before the sun came up the next day. That's how the original T7 car became a white car.

He told about their 1/8th mile drag strip and how the car frequented that track, he went on to explain a string of owners that he knew of through the rest of the 70's and how one of them had the murals painted on the car in 1976.

If I understand correctly, the car eventually went into storage where it basically missed out on the 80's and probably most if not all of the 90's.

It came back into his possession for a short time and was sold to the guy I purchased the car from.

It was a really neat history lesson on the car, and eventually he explained that it wasn't necessarily him that was looking for the car. It was the original owner that is hunting for it. The guy that got this car brand new off the dealer lot as his first car.

He's looking for his car. Sounds like he wants it back.

This dude that I talked to on the phone is going to pass my contact info along to the original owner of the car.

Can you imagine?

I'm still just blown away by the idea that this guy is finding his "first love" after 45 years. What are the chances that it still even exists? Let alone it is road worthy and restored to it's original color?

That's like... drama fiction story stuff there, I'm still blown away.

Haven't heard from the original owner yet, But I just wanted to share the story here as I figured you guys might enjoy it.

IMG_8839_zpsfb04ff73.jpg

Last edited:
SO what are your thoughts? will you entertain the thought of selling it and reuniting this guy with his first car? obviously the price has to be right and by that I mean he needs to pay the "this car is not for sale but I want it bad enough price"

Gonna be neat to see how this plays out!

Great story, hopefully you'll get to find out just how much his "first love" might be worth to him. :icon_eyes:

Nice job with the restoration BTW!

I guess I've not really made up my mind yet...

I like the car and everything, but could you imagine? Your first car?

I have no idea how I would find my first car (a 1970 ford Torino GT in my case) I fully expect my first car is long dead and long gone, possibly recycled into a Honda civic, scrapped again and maybe recycled twice by now and maybe it's a bed pan and a lawn mower deck by now.

Cripe sakes... what a Cinderella story.

I'm anxious to hear from the guy, hear what his intentions truly are.

No it's not exactly for sale, but if I was to sell it to anybody.... to put it back into the hands of a guy now in his 60's looking for "his first car". Not a similar car, but his actual first car.

It's fun.

Great story Dave! I would love to be put in contact with the first 2 owners of the "DOG".

I hope you hung those old quarters on your wall as 'garage art'! Well, that's what I would have done with them. By the story, they are authenticating pieces of the cars' history!

It would be nice to get together with the original owner, let him see the car in person...take him for a drive. A sale would be up to an offer amount worth parting with it. At the least, I would promise him he will be the 1st person you contact should you tire of it. I'm sure he would like to see what you have brought the car back to and will appreciate knowing that he is at the top of the list should it ever go on the market.

I kept one of the quarter skins for garage art. I chose the passenger side, it was in the best shape and it had the nicer mural (in my opinion)

both sides had different scenes painted on them.

edit:

Actually, my avatar is a closeup picture of part of the mural on the passenger side of the car.

Obviously the original owner knows what the car cost new.... so I'm sure he'll make you a nice offer ....somewhere around $4000.00 . Haha

cool story keep us posted on how this works out

man I'd hate to see you part with that beautiful runner after all the work that you put into it. But that's your call.

The timing on this is not horrible.

Planning to build my dream shop this spring, quit the day job and go full time...

We'll see.

No call yet, could be all talk.

I guess I've not really made up my mind yet...

I like the car and everything, but could you imagine? Your first car?

I have no idea how I would find my first car (a 1970 ford Torino GT in my case) I fully expect my first car is long dead and long gone, possibly recycled into a Honda civic, scrapped again and maybe recycled twice by now and maybe it's a bed pan and a lawn mower deck by now.

Cripe sakes... what a Cinderella story.

I'm anxious to hear from the guy, hear what his intentions truly are.

No it's not exactly for sale, but if I was to sell it to anybody.... to put it back into the hands of a guy now in his 60's looking for "his first car". Not a similar car, but his actual first car.

It's fun.

Post it over on Joeys other site www.69RoadRunner.net maybe someone over there knows, that site isn't really anywhere near as active as here thou... she looks great

Cool story and a fantastic-looking 'Runner.
My first car was a big block '72 Monte Carlo (all of 10 yrs old and practically an antique at the time), a neat ride, but nothing I'd ever consider trying to track down now. Had I bought a Road Runner or GTX I'd probably feel differently about that.
If you ended up selling that beauty back to the original owner, that story alone is a magazine article. Add the restoration pics and known history and you've got a feature. Best of luck with it, I hope for the best possible outcome...for both of you.

BTW, I doubt the original owner would be looking for his old car if he didn't have the dough to make the buy. He HAS to know what that that thing is worth...unless he's been living under a rock, which is doubtful.

A very cool story on your car....not too dissimilar to mine. :headbang:

After about 2 years of searching, I finally found a telephone number for the original owner of my GTX. When I rang him, he must have thought it was a crank call....but he listened and then said how he couldn't believe that after all those years the car was still in one piece. We talked for about 30 minutes...and that was that. The guy lived in Las Vegas after moving there from Anamosa, Iowa back in 1972. He just loaded up the GTX and drove south.

It is worth spending time to do this....I managed to do it back in 1997 before the internet was a good as it is now.

That's a cool story Dave. I would talk to the guy and pick his brain to see what he intends. I know "IF" you sold the RR, it would go a long way toward your shop. What does the family say about it? There are people that build those cars just to "flip em", but watching you build this one from start to finish has seemed more like a labor of love.

You are right runnerman, I did build this one for myself.

As with all the rest of the toys in my life... I suppose it will go away eventually in the interest of my family's best financial interests.

Seems as though that's the way it always goes.

I really don't care to sell it, but the original owner of the car probably has a better chance than anybody to talk me into parting with it.

Wow.....unbelievable. Out of all the cars we have owned, seems the first is always the most memorable (good or bad). I can imagine that's quite exciting for that cat to know his old bird still roams the streets. Good luck which ever way the road turns.

That's a great story. I also found my first car. It was quite a thrill. The guy who owns it lives about 60 miles from me. Have some great memories about that car. I turned a 13.46 with it. I asked my wife to marry me in it.

Do I want it back? Hard to say. Not the original drive train. It's been restored and looks great. If the owner decided to sell, I'm not sure what I would do mainly because of financial reasons. I'd have to sell my current car if I did decide to buy it. But my current car runs so nicely.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread.

Very cool story and nice work. I'm working on a 69 RR that I first saw back in about 82 but couldn't afford to buy it then. Plus the price was stupid for a car with no engine. About 7 yrs ago I found that same car and now nearing the end of a long drawn out resto. Pic is pretty much as I found it about 8 yrs ago. Not a good current pic but you get the idea.

DSCF0019.jpgDSC03140.jpg

Great story. I would love to find out some history on mine. All I know is a friend of mine from high school bought in Nashville Tennessee around 97 or 98 while going to diesel college. Somewhere along the way it was changed from A4 red stripe and pewter interior to white with black interior. Anyone remember it? A4 with red stripe is definitely rare.

Auto Transport Service
Back