• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your 'Guide' to the 727/904 transmission

I have a question, I have just finished rebuilding a 1968 727 transmission. When I disassembled the valve body I noticed the top portion had a crack in it. I would like to know what year valve bodies are interchangeable ? This way I can go to the junk yard and pull a valve body from another 727 transmission.

I have a question, I have just finished rebuilding a 1968 727 transmission. When I disassembled the valve body I noticed the top portion had a crack in it. I would like to know what year valve bodies are interchangeable ? This way I can go to the junk yard and pull a valve body from another 727 transmission.

They are all "pretty much" interchangeable, the issue is that some valve bodies were made differently to adjust for calmer shifting requirements. A 1968-77 valve body will worik in your current transmission without any issues.

valve body

They are all "pretty much" interchangeable, the issue is that some valve bodies were made differently to adjust for calmer shifting requirements. A 1968-77 valve body will worik in your current transmission without any issues.

Thank you, now I can can start searching junk yards.

footnote to this id guide,the old 2wd Jeeps/mail jeeps used a chevy iron duke motor with mopar transmissions as well.
caught my attention because you could have paired a 350 chevy v8 with that trans and had some Interesting convos at the car shows.

I'd like to pitch in and add some info. The pan and (especially) gasket info and part numbers in here are worth knowing even if your transmission is a '64 or later.

The pre-1964 Torqueflites used an external, in-line transmission fluid filter as an optional accessory in '60 and '61, standard equipment in '62-'63, not a flat in-pan filter such as the 1964-up transmissions used. In place of the in-pan flat filter, the early cars had a fine-mesh metal screen. If your car is so equipped, you will find the black, canister-shaped filter clamped to the engine block right near the level of the oil pan rail on the left side, with the trans fluid pipes threaded into each end of the canister. These canister-type filters are no longer manufactured. New Old Stock items can sometimes be found, but are usually quite costly. There are aftermarket universal inline filters, but they look cheesy. Why not eliminate the hassle once and for all? You can easily convert to the '64-up in-pan filter, making future transmission service easier and less costly.

There are a few different in-pan filters that will physically fit, but on a pre-1966 transmission, you need a filter with two fluid ports in it. The '66-up filters have only one, and if you use them on a '65 or earlier transmission, you'll starve the rear pump and damage it; it'll get noisy.

For this project, you'll need:

•A 1964-1965 transmission filter (with two ports). NAPA or ATP 19715 or 17956 trans filter/gasket kit contains the 2-port filter. Other numbers include Wix 58656 and Fram (yuck) FT-1015A.

•A 1964-up transmission pan or a brand-new pan. Nice new deep pans with unwarped rails for the A904 (i.e., the stock A500 pan) can be had from the dealer under p/n 52118 779AD, and they even include a spiffy magnet to catch metallic shavings. Whether you go that route or install a used '64-up pan, save yourself a bunch of current and future hassle: discard the floppy cork or rubber pan gasket that comes with the filter kit. Instead, from the Chrysler dealer get the really nice double-seal, reusable rigid pan gasket P/N 4295 875AC. These part numbers are for A904 transmissions, which have a roughly square-shaped transmission pan with one corner cut off. The larger A727 transmissions take pan p/n 5211 8780AD and gasket 2464 324AB. The doughnut magnet itself is 3681 601.

The reason why you need to change the pan is that when they changed to the in-pan Dacron filter for '64, they embossed a depression in the pan to provide sufficient clearance between the pan and the Dacron filter, which is thicker than the '63 and earlier pickup screen.

If you go with the deeper late pan, you do not need a filter extension or any other adaptation. It will take a little more fluid to bring the dipstick up to the "Full" mark, but that full fill of fluid will be at exactly the same level relative to the filter, no matter the depth of the pan.

Nice. Real nice info.
Now I have a tranny problem. 727
Well not really a tranny problem but anyway I need help
I have a 440 with a single 4 offenhauser tunnelram , holley carb.
Trans is a 727. Stock with the exception of a shift kit.
I would like to hook up my kick down but have no idea as to how to go about doing it .
Any help would be very very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance

I was just having this discussion a week or so ago with a bud of mine that I bought a 727 B/RB trans from. He held up that very book and said it had everything a guy needed to know to rebuild his trans himself. Nice to see it verified. Thanks.

If it is OK with racedodge, I would like to put together a PDF so I can keep this info handy.
Anyone like one, I'll put it on my site for download ... again with permission.
Great info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this thread isn't dead.....racedodge I have a quick question.
I have a my 62 Belvedere has a LA 360 in it with a 727 and that ball and trunion driveshaft. I have (2)BB A727 slip yoke, can the slip yoke tailshaft be swaped out for the SB 727 tailshaft that is in the car now?

Hope this thread isn't dead.....racedodge I have a quick question.
I have a my 62 Belvedere has a LA 360 in it with a 727 and that ball and trunion driveshaft. I have (2)BB A727 slip yoke, can the slip yoke tailshaft be swaped out for the SB 727 tailshaft that is in the car now?

This is a 727 and a slip yoke correct? Has a bad lead right there in the pic and another where the shifter cable goes in.

20160524_150632.jpg

Torqueflite 727 4speed in a Aston Martin

Good mornig from Germany! I found your forum while i searchd for torqueflite 727 Gearbox.

I have a Aston Martin Virage Volante of 1994 with a 4-speed transmission A-727-A 4, (no overdrive, just for gears) the car have 35.000 miles only, the gearbox works very well, but suddenly on the Autobahn it did not shift in the 4.gear anymore.

The other three speeds and reverse works very well.
Gearbox Number is PK5300 8148 1290 9917 Axle Ratio 3.54 (the AM 5.3 V8 engine has a range to 5.800 rev/minute)
Aston Martin is not able to help me, they have a catastrophic documentation of the earlier years.
I think it must be a conversion of the 727 or could it be a 518 Torqueflite?.
I will be very glad if you can help me, may be it is possible to change the gearbox in a 518.
I will be very happy about any information to solve this problem.

Here my car:
f2e127d0ad.jpg

Thank you very much in advance!

Gerd

Last edited:
Gerd,I just spoke with my Astin service manager.He told me in fact do have the A-727 TF trans but it is a 3 speed like any other TF.The torque converter is 11.75 inches. If high gear is gone the unit must come out for repair.

Thank you very much! In fact - the virage from 1991 to 1993 have the 3-speed TF transmission, the lates virage, built in 1994, have a four speed automatic! It works fine until summer, you could reach approx. 250 km/h on the Autobahn, now, in the third speed approx 160 km/h.

Wiki: The five-speed ZF manual was fitted to about forty percent of Virages. The more popular automatic option was Chrysler's three-speed Torqueflite transmission. For 1994 the three-speed was replaced by a four-speed automatic unit. The six-speed manual from the Vantage also became optional late in the Virage's production run.

Sorry i am a newbe here - I think it is the wrong place here, so startet this thread as a new thread in the
Engine, Trans & Driveline normal threads

ok next question
can i use the longer yoke from the 67 atm tranny in the later 82 diplomat tranny , i slid it in and it fits but is there a extra bushing in the earlier models or do i use the you that came from that transmission or does it matter

Am putting a 440 with 727 in a 1965 B body. Had 318 cable 727 in it. Can I swap the tailshaft so the trans mount will line up with crossmember mount?

FYI I have an 86 904-999 ATSG Techtran manual that does a good job on the lock up. The electronic lock up came out in 86- might be worth a look if you are changing to a lock up as I did. Replaced a 904 with a 360 999 (my daughter kept taking out reverse in the 904- dbl wrapped band in the 999 and Transgo reprogramming kit solved the problem of her taking off backward up a steep driveway without letting the converter get charged.
I controlled the lockup with the spedo switch which is found several places- I got one from a 73 400 where it controls the advance. I have it set for 28mph- below that the trigger to the relay is cut and the trans unlocks. It also controls a relay to the aux electric fan and cuts it off at 28 mph. Handy part
I could add a vacuum switch too but have not.
Factory uses computer and also a throttle closed switch- IDK why- I like compression breaking
any ideas?

Wow!
Great information, thanks.

post a pic of the broken shift lever
what is the chassis and application you know floor or column etc 904-727

Auto Transport Service
Back