• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your 'Guide' to the 727/904 transmission

Well, I have a question now. I am swapping out the output shaft from the 727 that was in the 4x4 Power Ram and replacing it with a car type shaft and tail housing. I have the trans on my counter. is this a barrel of monkeys I should NOT get into? I don't have all of the special tools I see in the book. I understand you have to disassemble the whole damn thing to get the output shaft off of it?? Who the hell designed that? Anyway, input appreciated..Ghost.

Well, I have a question now. I am swapping out the output shaft from the 727 that was in the 4x4 Power Ram and replacing it with a car type shaft and tail housing. I have the trans on my counter. is this a barrel of monkeys I should NOT get into? I don't have all of the special tools I see in the book. I understand you have to disassemble the whole damn thing to get the output shaft off of it?? Who the hell designed that? Anyway, input appreciated..Ghost.

Yes, you will have to disassemble the front housing innards to pull the output shaft.. sorry to tell ya. If you do it, make sure you check the end-play after reassembly.

My input for those "swapping" in a 727 into anything is know what the internal components are in THAT 727. There are so many combinations of front drum/clutch, front band apply lever ratio, planetary both front & rear, governor. IMHO front clutch number, front band lever ratio are critical. The planetary number (3 or 4) for both front & rear is important. 4 pinion is stronger.Stock Hemi 727's had 4 pinion planetary's front & rear. The Hemi 727's also used a special 5 disc front clutch drum. Today it is simple to put 5 discs in a "standard" front drum. Make sure you know what your parts are.

I bought that book a while ago... A whole lot of great info in there for sure. I definately recommend it! My 727 is in need of a rebuild soon and I'm thinking about doing it myself for the expirience. I've never taken apart a trans by myself before so I'm a little hesitant. I'm just to young and naive to realize that it may be something I'm to inexperienced to tackle. With out a friend to help it may just be a bad idea... I've seen automatic trans being torn into and I must say it's a little intimidating. A lot of stuff goes on in those things!

Cleanliness is a must, first and foremost!

Great 727 info. does anyone by chance know the part numbers of the parts circled in red? Are they even available seperate from the valve body? the seal surface on mine is all buggered up by PO and i can't get the seal to, well, seal to the shift shaft.
AT_TF9XX_valve_assembly.jpg

Can you easily find a core trans to pull the valve body & take those parts out?

5 clutch drum on 727 Hemi and 6 pack was for durability not needed for holding

99 times out of a 100 you do not need it and is the only place the 5.2 lever was used
4 pinions- fine

Time flies when your having fun. I finally took apart the 1973 727 from my truck. I also bought a 1970 727 for the tail housing and output shaft that turned out to a 1974 440/6 hvy dty unit.
The valve bodies are different. Is one better than the other? The 74 has 5 check balls and a 3/8ths ball and spring in the corner. The 73 has 7 check balls and no spring. The 74 has been drilled for a shift kit. The 73 seems un modified and in better condition. The 74 has 4 pinion planetaries and 4 clutch retainers and a hardened input shaft, the 73 has threes. In both pics the one underneath is the 73.
0131191135.jpg
0131191135a.jpg

There were a lot of changes made to the fluid flow circuits in '74 so the '74 valve body isn't really compatible with the early transmissions...it will work but not correctly.

The HD tailhousing is a good upgrade but there are reports of the side plate interfering with the floor tunnel in some bodies.

If you have a '74 727, it's not a 6bbl unit. '71 was last year for those. The ball & spring in the corner was used in the '70 & earlier 727's. I really prefer using 4 pinion planetaries front & rear. With any significant power I'd want at least 4 clutches, I've built most as 5 disc, using a modified 4 disc drum(modified top plate-Turbo Action) or thin clutches (Cope has them). I'd buy an aftermarket valve body from one of the big names.

can someone help me ID this Trans? It is an early Big Block 727. I was told that it came out of a '63 Max Wedge savoy,
20190530_131837.jpg
20190530_131749.jpg
the owner wanted a 4 speed and swapped it out..(old guy Vietnam pilot ace with lots of stuff including the '63 max wedge savoy so I have no reason to doubt him)

So,,,,,,you need input on the output??:nutkick:

Ghostrider, you don't need "special tools", to get started tighten the front band adjustment all the way. tight, remove the bolts holding the front pump into the case, use some long 3/8 bolts threaded into the holes with threads, use a Wonder Bar working from one side to the other back & forth till the front pump comes out. Un bolt & remove the valve body. Loosen the band adjuster & start pulling the front & rear clutch drums out. Snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring on the end of the output shaft, slide the plantaries out along with the rear band drum, unbolt the tailshaft housing from the case & slide it out. Again I'd go with an aftermarket valve body.

Although I have STILL not put together the valve body. lol. Yeah, i'm scared.

can someone help me ID this Trans? It is an early Big Block 727. I was told that it came out of a '63 Max Wedge savoy,View attachment 774897 View attachment 774898 the owner wanted a 4 speed and swapped it out..(old guy Vietnam pilot ace with lots of stuff including the '63 max wedge savoy so I have no reason to doubt him)
#2408006 is for a 1963 383/413 V8 4 bbl, Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, Imperial. Info from the Tom Hand TorqueFlite A-904 & A- 727 Transmission rebuild book Trans number index for 1963.

I have a leak coming in the direct area of the transmission cross member where the tail shaft meets the cross member. Is there a seal in the location?

Auto Transport Service
Back