• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Wheel and tire combos on 75-79??

Johnny Mac

FBBO Vendor
FBBO Sponsor
Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
wondering what the fattest set of tires and wheels ya'll have managed to stuff under the rear on one of these 75-79 cars. Truthfully i haven't crawled under it yet, but wondering if a 9 or 10 inch rim will fit..of if a 15x8 is the norm? Backspacing?
Or if a spring relocation is needed to fit a decent sized tire like on other Mopars.

thanks all.

15x8, 4 1/2 '' backspace is a easy fit, with 275/60/15.That is without the tire hanging out of the wheel well.You maybe able to go larger but may run into rubbing.

I think I have 9" Centrelines on my 77. I'm not a fan of the big fat MT's on the back and will be swapping them out for shorter and a bit narrower tire in the spring. But they do fit.

vbpgimage.php

Thanks guys. How much do they bulge out the quarters on that 77. Man if those were just a touch shorter I would make an offer on them...I like the stance, but the rear appears a tad tall. 30? 29?

Another question...if u have a 8.75 obviously thats not stock...is the 8.75 from a b body identical width to a 8.25 from a b body? Just asking bc that would affect backspacing needed.

If you get a 8 3/4 from a 71-72 "B" body. It will bolt right in.You may even find the 73 might have it as the 8 3/4 was being fazed out by then. I got one out of a 71 RR and installed it in a 75 Charger back in the 80's.

I had the 8 3/4 installed 29 years ago, I think it came out of an E body but can't remember. The perches had to be centered and I had to get the pinion angle corrected.

As you see by the photos below, the tire bulges just a bit. The tread width is ok but the section width is not. I have to do some more homework on what size to change them to. I don't want to buy another set of tires I'm not happy with!

20151126_132444_resized.jpg20151126_132527_resized.jpg20151126_132644_resized.jpg20151126_132711_resized.jpg

Thank you. It honestly looks like it would be perfect if u just put a 28 or 29 on it...30 is tall. Am I reading that right? A 12.5 in a stock wheel well? Wow

Running 20" rims on a 75 Cordoba. 10x20 (40 series) on the front and 11x20 (35 series) rims on the rear. 4" adapter on rear, 2" adapters on front cordoba rear.jpg

Good lord...so an 11 out back and a ten up front....and I assume you mean with a 4 and 2 inch spacer, to compensate for backspacing?
Guess I can put whatever rims I want on mine lol. Wheel wells built for drag racing. Lol
I had to Minitub my dart to get a 10.5 on it...but I can run a 12 inch tire on this behemoth...haha awesome

17X8 running 235/60/17 this size kept the overall diameter the same as the original 15" setup. No buggering up my speedo that way and also the front tires clear perfectly when turning as the torsion bars were turned down a bit so keeping the same overall diameter made for a decent look with no problems just get in and drive. That said for my tastes I would like a slightly smaller sidewall so as I work on this car over the next couple years I am stepping up to 18" for this car and these 17" will get a shorter tire and migrate over to my M-body LeBaron.
Cordoba Otter 01.jpg

Running 20" rims on a 75 Cordoba. 10x20 (40 series) on the front and 11x20 (35 series) rims on the rear. 4" adapter on rear, 2" adapters on front

I'd love to see more pics of your side exhaust. Under car layout and a couple side view shots that show how low it hangs. What size exhaust? Thats a great idea. I need to redo my exhaust from the mufflers back.

- - - Updated - - -

i will probably go with a set of weld pro start knockoffs. The name of the build is low budget on this one! hard to beat a wheel that looks like a $200 weld that you can snag for $90...
You mates with your cordobas look nice! but my monaco (soon to get a 75 RR header panel) doesn't look quite as classy. I think it will look a little better with a simple "race star" style wheel, than some 17 inch American racing or cragars. they do look good on the cordobas though! thank you all for the info.

Running 3" exhaust with X-pipe with mini turbo mufflers (7") length Its loud but sounds great Plan on changing to a longer 3 inch walker muffler. When I have time I will send photos

Auto Transport Service
Back