• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

´60-70 drag racing -production car engines?

SSing

Local time
12:10 AM
Reaction score
When looking through old car magazines I see all these 426 Hemi Engines, but what would your guess be as to how many were pick from a car?
My guess is less than 10 %, maybe just a few, but you know better…
Maybe for the older Hemis it looked a bit different?
Thank you.
20190411_090939.jpg

Not sure I understand the question...
Did Ma Mopar make a lot more Gen2 hemi's than made it into production cars?
Sure, she did. That's the case with any production engine, though.

I have never pondered a question like that, but in a conversation with Don Garlits about 5-6 years ago he told a friend and I that he liked the old Desoto Hemi's. He said all he had to do was change the cam, and add a blower and go racing. Never thought to ask where he got them, I just assumed they were pulled from cars. Ofcourse we were talking about the Gen 1 Hemi.

I think there was a total of about ten thousand production hemi cars, (gen 2) over all brands and lines. I know there were a bunch more for nascar, ive seen a picture of a warehouse with about 75 nascar hemis lined up in rows, but i dont have a good guess as to how many.
I would guess that most of the gen 1 hemis in racecars were pulled from production.
As,another example, look at 427 sohc fords. They were never in a production car, or a nascar car. All were over the counter, very few were put in street cars.
Gm also sold L88s and LS6s over the counter.
Side note: i think that photo is from Garlits car where he lost a chunk of foot, and prompted him to perfect the rear engined top fuel car.

I read a Richard Petty interview where he stated that Chrysler sold him Hemis for $1 each.
Also read that they gave Dick Landy motors in exchange for development results to put in their Direct Connection Catalogs.

Not sure I understand the question...
Did Ma Mopar make a lot more Gen2 hemi's than made it into production cars?
Sure, she did. That's the case with any production engine, though.

Yes, well to me there are two ways to get an engine for your dragster at this time. Either you are lucky and find one in a junkyard, (or your friend´s B-Body), or you get a block from the dealer, witch is not an engine...

2 Street Hemi.jpg
Have same type of offer for street hemi wouldn't upjoad.Got it.
1 Race Hemi.jpg
2 Street Hemi.jpg

Last edited:
Top fuel guys were most likely getting blocks from Donovan, Keith Black etc.

From the Keith Black Wiki page;

"Chrysler contracted Black to develop a marine racing program in 1965.

Ed Donovan introduced the specialized aluminum engine block for nitro drag racing in 1971; the "Donovan 417" was based on a 1958 Chrysler 392 hemi. Black's aluminum engine blocks would dominate the market by the end of the decade. The engines Keith Black produced were based on the Chrysler 426 Hemi, Chevy Big Block, and Oldsmobile Big Block designs, but cut from virgin aluminum castings and built to the customer's specifications."

Yes, well to me there are two ways to get an engine for your dragster at this time. Either you are lucky and find one in a junkyard, (or your friend´s B-Body), or you get a block from the dealer, witch is not an engine...
As others have just posted, there were several ways of getting a hemi to go racing with back then - including fully assembled factory engines, so your assumption is incorrect.

I have no one still alive to ask. Now if you had asked this question like 15 years ago yes an answer could have been had.

As others have just posted, there were several ways of getting a hemi to go racing with back then - including fully assembled factory engines, so your assumption is incorrect.
Yes, and now we all know...

A neighbor of mine now well in his 90's was a big time California boat racer back in the late 50's thru the 80's. He said Chrysler gave them a new station wagon every year as a tow car and as many Hemi engines as they wanted in the 60's.

A neighbor of mine now well in his 90's was a big time California boat racer back in the late 50's thru the 80's. He said Chrysler gave them a new station wagon every year as a tow car and as many Hemi engines as they wanted in the 60's.

ooh imagine… Thanks

Remember a hydroplane powered by twin 426 Hemi's.

Auto Transport Service
Back