• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1 Wire NSS on a 904?

zdillinger

Local time
1:22 AM
Reaction score
Gents,

Is there such a thing as a 1-wire neutral safety switch on a 904 transmission? The trans that was just pulled out of my '73 has a 1 wire; the 904 that is replacing it has a three wire. I know that the center pole of the three wire can be hooked up to the Brown / Yellow wire that runs to the starter relay and that the other two poles are involved in the reverse light circuit (one brings power from the fuse box; the other runs to the rear harness). According to the shop, there is only the one wire in the harness, not three like there should be per the FSM.

Zach

Interesting. I guess the trans that was in the car isn't the right trans for the car then. I suppose the reverse lights must work at the column and not the switch.

actually half 69 and earliers

you can match an early tranny on a newer car changing the rostercomb and NSS switch

actually half 69 and earliers

you can match an early tranny on a newer car changing the rostercomb and NSS switch

Got it. The new trans I got has the proper comb and NSS and bolted right in. The '73 wiring harness has the proper 3 wire connector, so all is right with the world. Car runs great, but you can tell the trans sat for a little while. Delayed engagement in reverse and first when cold, but revving it up a little will make it kick in. I suppose this could be the 3000 rpm stall convertor that the trans came with.

Auto Transport Service
Back