• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

19-year-old arrested after driving 176 mph on I-5 near Portland

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score

By Shawn Garrett, KIRO 7 NewsMay 18, 2023 at 12:46 pm PDT
7KFRCEBOX5B2JA7ODFA3KMKLPE.jpg

+Caption

A 19-year-old was stopped and arrested early Wednesday after a deputy clocked him driving at 176 mph, according to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

At about 12:32 a.m. on May 17, a deputy was conducting speed enforcement on Interstate 5, near Highway 217, just south of Portland, Oregon.

When the deputy saw a 2016 BMW M3 traveling fast southbound on I-5, his speed gun recorded the car going 176 mph.

The deputy radioed dispatch about the car and asked other deputies in the area to help him out.

Another deputy, further down I-5 near the Nyberg Street exit, saw the car take the exit.

Both deputies caught up to the car and pinned it in with their cars, preventing the BMW driver from driving away.

The driver, Milo Schneider, 19, was arrested for reckless driving. He was booked into the Washington County jail.

According to the Sheriff’s Department, Schneider told deputies he had looked at his speedometer and it said he was going 183 mph.

Maybe the tires were a bit shorter throwing off the speedometer calibration?
Not sure what kind of trouble the kid faces now?

The effing brain surgeon tells the cops that he was going even faster than they clocked him going!

Must have been modified because the top speed of the BMW is more like 150-155 and what speedometer was the cop looking at? The Big Mexican Woman's speedometer read back or one in his cruiser? If he was looking at the one in his cruiser, I'd like to know what cop car they have that goes that fast!?

Is the 7 mph really going to make a difference?
I did dumb stuff like that when I was a kid, but my car could only hit 150.
I think the fines and penalties were alot less back in the 1980's too.
Had to do the "Driving School" and probation stuff back then.
Got a speeding ticket on I-27 going from Amarillo to Lubbock back when the speed limit was 55, I think the fine was like $35.00 (the officer was nice and wrote the ticket for 19 over the speed limit, when he know I was doing around 100+).
I was about to ask if I could pre-pay.

Is the 7 mph really going to make a difference?
I did dumb stuff like that when I was a kid, but my car could only hit 150.
I think the fines and penalties were alot less back in the 1980's too.
Had to do the "Driving School" and probation stuff back then.
Got a speeding ticket on I-27 going from Amarillo to Lubbock back when the speed limit was 55, I think the fine was like $35.00 (the officer was nice and wrote the ticket for 19 over the speed limit, when he know I was doing around 100+).
I was about to ask if I could pre-pay.
Yeah, we all did crazy things. I did a 200 mile run from San Antonio to Pasadena in the middle of the night when I-10 was new (1971) and had no traffic and was doing probably 130+ with open headers no less. Finally got a weekend off from the military and hauled butt home to see my girlfriend only to find her shacking up with another guy. After limping into the apartment complex so maybe I didn't wake up too many people, I didn't care who got woke up when I left burning rubber out of there.

I lived on an overlook of the bottoms for years. The view stretched on for about 4 or 5 miles with the river looking forward and farm land left and right. They put the outerbelt in and it's as flat as a pancake for almost 7 miles. The guys from Oklahoma would come to town and it was perfect for drag racing before they opened it. Now it's the high speed salt flats, so to speak. Now you can hear cars and motorcycles screaming as if in pain to reach speeds you would never try in most places. I take the Coronet down that stretch all the time, down one side to check and back if it's clear. The Coronet laughs at 140.

I live on the same overlook now, a mile down from my old house and back off it a bit in a different development. At times you can hear the sweet sound of someone trying to break the sound barrier. Crazy yes, fun yes! I'm old, leave me alone...........

I don't know when I-27 was built, but seemed to have been planned as an unlimited speed highway?
Straight, flat and wide concrete road and the few curves had steep banking like they were building a NASCAR track or something?

Must have been modified because the top speed of the BMW is more like 150-155 and what speedometer was the cop looking at? The Big Mexican Woman's speedometer read back or one in his cruiser? If he was looking at the one in his cruiser, I'd like to know what cop car they have that goes that fast!?
I have had a few BMW's and mercedes on the autobahn and 225K was it for every one of them. Thats 140 mph but they were rental cars, maybe speed limited different.

By Shawn Garrett, KIRO 7 NewsMay 18, 2023 at 12:46 pm PDT
View attachment 1466929
+Caption

A 19-year-old was stopped and arrested early Wednesday after a deputy clocked him driving at 176 mph, according to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

At about 12:32 a.m. on May 17, a deputy was conducting speed enforcement on Interstate 5, near Highway 217, just south of Portland, Oregon.

When the deputy saw a 2016 BMW M3 traveling fast southbound on I-5, his speed gun recorded the car going 176 mph.

The deputy radioed dispatch about the car and asked other deputies in the area to help him out.

Another deputy, further down I-5 near the Nyberg Street exit, saw the car take the exit.

Both deputies caught up to the car and pinned it in with their cars, preventing the BMW driver from driving away.

The driver, Milo Schneider, 19, was arrested for reckless driving. He was booked into the Washington County jail.

According to the Sheriff’s Department, Schneider told deputies he had looked at his speedometer and it said he was going 183 mph.
Bastards have on board radar, they got $117 out of me, never forgive them.:poke:
:lol:

Valentine. Don’t leave home without it. Passport, close second.

Maybe the tires were a bit shorter throwing off the speedometer calibration?
Not sure what kind of trouble the kid faces now?

According to the website below for Oregon.

Class A Misdemeanor
Sentence up to 1 year in jail and a maximum fine of $6250

BM's are governed in the US to 155mph. Top speed is closer to 190

Yet the LEOs & DA in Or., Portland area didn't do **** about...
Well, You all know what, during the year+ of
burning & storming, vandalising a Police station & Fed. court house
many/multiple riots, pillaging, thefts, several murders just related to that ****,
the multiple rapes during the occupation & taken over the shitty... :blah:
they don't do squat, about them

& they treat 'a joy ride', on I-5 no less, an open major hwy,
with no doubt lil' to no traffic at 12:32 am
victimless crime, 'aka' excessive speed, speed contest etc.
no matter how stupid I think it is, like;
"a serious crime of the century", 1 year & $6,250 in fines

bizarro world :fool:

normally I support mosy any LEOs, but that was way overcharging
it's also a victimless crime at that, no matter how stupid
they throw the proverbial book at the guy...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got caught on the radar doing 138 in my 68 Charger R/T, 440/727tf
In early am Aug 1977 (IIRC) for a sort of short burst, maybe a 2 mile stretch
It wouldn't do much more, then that stock with the 3.55:1 gears & F-70/14" tires
(I do see a lot of way over-exaggerations on 'open rd mph here' :blah: )
off of after hwy 99 to I-5 somewhere between Castle AFB, Atwater
& home up north, middle of nowhere then (still),
the guy CHP (usually, they are ball-busters)

He 1st said;
Do you know how fast you were going son ?
I said;
"no not exactly sir, but fast"
He then said;
let me see your license & reg.
& then said;
he watched & waited for me to slow down & then came up behind me
blue & red-lighted me "at a very high rate of speed, I may add"
(in an old Polara or Monaco IIRC)
He also said;
that he saw me/clocked & he heard me, doing the high speed for a mile or so,
before I was at where he was & then slowing down to like 80mph...
He even showed me the radar gun, with big flashing red 138 on it...

He was sitting on top of an overpass somewhere, on/off ramp,
I didn't see him obviously...
He was pretty cool about it, calm & I was respectful to him too, & honest...
I told him;
I figured it was in the middle of nowhere, I wanted to see what it'd do...
I didn't say it to him,
but 'my speedo was off, I thought I was doing 135mph'...
He just wrote me up for 85 in a 65 zone, with a staunch warning
I had just turned 18, a month before... Down visiting my sister in the USAF

Last edited:
Yet the LEOs & DA in Or., Portland area didn't do **** about...
Well, You all know what, during the year+ of
burning & storming, vandalising a Police station & Fed. court house
many/multiple riots, pillaging, thefts, several murders just related to that ****,
the multiple rapes during the occupation & taken over the shitty... :blah:
they don't do squat, about them

& they treat 'a joy ride', on I-5 no less, an open major hwy,
with no doubt lil' to no traffic at 12:32 am
victimless crime, 'aka' excessive speed, speed contest etc.
no matter how stupid I think it is, like;
"a serious crime of the century", 1 year & $6,250 in fines

bizarro world :fool:

normally I support mosy any LEOs, but that was way overcharging
it's also a victimless crime at that, no matter how stupid
they throw the proverbial book at the guy...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got caught on the radar doing 138 in my 68 Charger R/T, 440/727tf
In early am Aug 1977 (IIRC) for a sort of short burst, maybe a 2 mile stretch
It wouldn't do much more, then that stock with the 3.55:1 gears & F-70/14" tires
(I do see a lot of way over-exaggerations on 'open rd mph here' :blah: )
off of after hwy 99 to I-5 somewhere between Castle AFB, Atwater
& home up north, middle of nowhere then (still),
the guy CHP (usually, they are ball-busters)

He 1st said;
Do you know how fast you were going son ?
I said;
"no not exactly sir, but fast"
He then said;
let me see your license & reg.
& then said;
he watched & waited for me to slow down & then came up behind me
blue & red-lighted me "at a very high rate of speed, I may add"
(in an old Polara or Monaco IIRC)
He also said;
that he saw me/clocked & he heard me, doing the high speed for a mile or so,
before I was at where he was & then slowing down to like 80mph...
He even showed me the radar gun, with big flashing red 138 on it...

He was sitting on top of an overpass somewhere, on/off ramp,
I didn't see him obviously...
He was pretty cool about it, calm & I was respectful to him too, & honest...
I told him;
I figured it was in the middle of nowhere, I wanted to see what it'd do...
I didn't say it to him,
but 'my speedo was off, I thought I was doing 135mph'...
He just wrote me up for 85 in a 65 zone, with a staunch warning
I had just turned 18, a month before... Down visiting my sister in the USAF
At least you have the memories! Just where in the USA was there a 65 zone in 1977? I thought everything was 55 back then?

I had a 1969 Grand Prix that would do what the factory stock gauges said it would do, 140 mph. I have no idea how fast my Coronet will go, 323's with a 545rfe transmission. It's a blast and runs like the wind.

20230225_140946.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back