• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Belvedere Brake Light Problem(s)

JimM

Local time
6:09 AM
Reaction score
I bought this Belvedere II earlier this year and have been trying to sort it out but can't seem to be able to solve this one. With key off brake lights and/or running lights work fine. Switch key on and test both signal lights which work. Then step on brake and sometimes both brake lights work, other times the right or left work only. Switch key off and press brakes and one of the two brake lights work or sometimes they both work. Anybody got any ideas on this? Thanks, Jim M

I bought this Belvedere II earlier this year and have been trying to sort it out but can't seem to be able to solve this one. With key off brake lights and/or running lights work fine. Switch key on and test both signal lights which work. Then step on brake and sometimes both brake lights work, other times the right or left work only. Switch key off and press brakes and one of the two brake lights work or sometimes they both work. Anybody got any ideas on this? Thanks, Jim M

It's in the turn signal ( brake light wiring goes through there ) switch; unfortunately the way the switch is assembled you do not have access to the contacts that are probably corroded. I have a '66 that does the exact same thing, loses one or the other brake light but comes back to life when you put the signal on.
Anyone have a fix for this?

I believe that the TS switches are being reproduced with a good quality replacement. Check with the guys on the 62-65 Mopar Mail Clubhouse for info.

I ordered one from D.S. and it never shipped. He said that he was out of stock on the one that I needed ('65 B) and would get in touch wit me when he had them. Haven't heard from him yet. Too bad, I really would like to replace it. I went out and bought the repair kit, the cam that shuts off the signals from NAPA. They don't carry the whole switch assembly.

Once you pry off the cam, you can see the switch contacts. I suppose you could spray them with some contact cleaner and lube them with dielectric grease. Worth a shot.

Auto Transport Service
Back