• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2

8 months of seaching, from time to time, and this kit popped up on ebay to rebuild the master cylinder... or so I hope. Stated it was for a 1" bore so I took a shot that it is correct, for 20 bucks + 15 shipping!
rebuildkitformaster.jpg

From the FSM the parts look correct in the kit.
1966plysathp2ptd 099.jpg

Another what "gearwrenches" were designed for. Removing the brake pedal to master cylinder push rod bolt. 3/4" on the head, 5/8" on the nut.
1966plysathp2ptd 101.jpg

Now to get the 4 x 1/2" nuts that hold the master in place.
1966plysathp2ptd 107.jpg

3 successfully extracted using a 1/2" deep socket and two "wobble" extensions.
1966plysathp2ptd 109.jpg

With the clutch pedal/rod/etc in the way, this was how I got the top left nut. Knew I bought these "crows feet" 30 some years ago for an upcoming job!
1966plysathp2ptd 113.jpg

Making sure there's no more lost paint to spilled brake fluid. Cardboard jammed in place below the master and tube wrenches to seperate the master adapter fitting and brake line.
1966plysathp2ptd 115.jpg

Master out and brake line capped. You can see how wet the firewall is where brake fluid was weeping out the back of the master cylinder and down into the interior.
1966plysathp2ptd 121.jpg

Comparison of the OE I removed and the reproduction I had bought to originally do the job. Looks like I ordered the correct one and my OE is missing it's return spring! Guess I'll be stealing that from the new one. The brake fluid rotted the rubber boot, but there's a new one in the rebuild kit.
1966plysathp2ptd 124.jpg

Two bolts out of the piston retainer and out comes the spool attached to the push rod by it's rubber "keeper".
1966plysathp2ptd 127.jpg

The other seal, spring, valve and seal wouldn't fall out, so I removed the adapter fitting and used some tweezers to push everything out.
1966plysathp2ptd 134.jpg

How about that, I ordered the correct 1" kit !!
1966plysathp2ptd 132.jpg

Seal, spring and valve. Something is still missing according to the factory service manual (FSM).
1966plysathp2ptd 137.jpg

All of the parts but one.
1966plysathp2ptd 138.jpg

OE casting part #2781821 and R24
1966plysathp2ptd 143.jpg

If I hadn't read the FSM I wouldn't have gone looking.
1966plysathp2ptd 145.jpg

That's a rubber seal down in the bore.
1966plysathp2ptd 150.jpg

Seal successfully extracted.
1966plysathp2ptd 152.jpg

Soaking for the night in some gas.
1966plysathp2ptd 154.jpg

Last edited:
Turns out the guy I bought the K256 rebuild kit also has this K260 kit that has a PB in it's description, so maybe Power Brakes and a different diameter, but I'd like the spring and gasket either way.. so bought them both so I'm covered.
k260rebuildkit.jpg

Making sure the relief hole is clear with 2 strands of wire.
1966plysathp2pte 003.jpg

Just happened to have a 15/16 counterbore that I can use to clean up the crusty looking front seal face. The 1" bore is also in need of a honing.
1966plysathp2pte 005.jpg

Hand turned to clean up the seal face.
1966plysathp2pte 007.jpg

That's better.
1966plysathp2pte 012.jpg

Just happen to have a brake cylinder hone that I use to clean up telescopic tubes when building landing gear struts. Most old school mechanics have one in their tool box...
1966plysathp2pte 014.jpg

Into the bore and the adjuster snugged up a bit.
1966plysathp2pte 016.jpg

In and out while running the drill. Checking the bore after each few strokes to see if the imperfections are gone.
1966plysathp2pte 018.jpg

Ain't that nice. Measures at about 1.0015 to 1.0022. FSM states 0.002 over is allowable so should be fine.
1966plysathp2pte 020.jpg

Been yaking with others as to whether the lid was plain, plated or painted. The underside shows it certainly wasn't plated.
1966plysathp2pte 027.jpg

Bent up a scrap brake line tube that I had so I can bench bleed the master before putting it on. Came up a bit short on length so will add some clear hose to make the bowl to see any air bubbles. Media blasting the casting and lid clean is up next...
1966plysathp2pte 030.jpg

Figure I'm this far in I may as well remove the brake master cylinder reinforcing plate, to clean up and get all the leaked brake fluid mess cleaned up. Note that the top left stud end still has body colour paint on it from the factory paint line.
1966plysathp2ptf 003.jpg

Ah the joys of a design done by a guy that never did repair work. Easy enough to bolt the pedals in before the dash is installed, but not so easy afterwards. I've pulled many 4 speed pedal assemblies in junk yards with minimal tools, this one gave me the biggest fight to date.
1966plysathp2ptf 006.jpg

Usually you can jam washers in between the curls on the clutch pedal "over center" spring and then push the pedal to the floor and get enough slack to remove the spring retainer pin. Then there's enough access to the nut that's above that pin to use a wrench.
1966plysathp2ptf 012.jpg

Jammed as many washers in as I could and a no go on this one.
1966plysathp2ptf 014.jpg

Plan B... 12" wobble extension and a 1/2" deep socket over the top and got it on the nut.
1966plysathp2ptf 019.jpg

Got the ratchet on to find it was the tightest nut in history, almost thought it was cross threaded. I fought it a turn or two and then went and found my air ratchet that thankfully turned it out... still haven't found where the nut went!
1966plysathp2ptf 022.jpg

One nut on the top stud that's welded to the firewall.
1966plysathp2ptf 024.jpg

Original captive washer nut.
1966plysathp2ptf 025.jpg

Black is almost flat, just a very light semigloss.
1966plysathp2ptf 027.jpg

Original gasket soaked in brake fluid. Note the gasket is almost like cloth, not a thicker foam like current reproductions.
1966plysathp2ptf 028.jpg

Last edited:
Shot to show OE install of the wiring harness clip at the back. Clip has to be installed BEFORE the reinforcing plate is installed onto the firewall.
1966plysathp2ptf 029.jpg

Front view of the "long" bracket used on manual brakes.
1966plysathp2ptf 030.jpg

Gasket on the firewall stud as well.
1966plysathp2ptf 033.jpg

How the wiring bracket is retained in place.
1966plysathp2ptf 039.jpg

Wiped clean to show what brake fluid does to paint. Need to clean it properly and repaint.
1966plysathp2ptf 044.jpg

How to remove the brake push rod from the master cylinder spool. Rod clamped into vice. You can see the crack in the spool seal that caused the leak.
1966plysathp2ptf 051.jpg

A big screw driver and a pickle fork, or what ever you've got similar and pry the spool off.
1966plysathp2ptf 054.jpg

The push rod is retained by a rubber sleeve. The sleeve is installed into the spool and then the push rod is forced in locking it there. The retainer usually shears when taking it back apart, as it did in this case. It's just stuck there, but it's torn in half.
1966plysathp2ptf 057.jpg

I thought great, now I need to order a $2 part and pay $35 shipping... .but then my brain kicked in and remembered I'd added two of them to my Dr Diff order for the '64 Dodge last year "just in case" I needed one in the future.
1966plysathp2ptf 067.jpg

Using a plastic bristle brush and the paint is just rolling off thanks to the leaking Dot 3 brake fluid. I'll get it cleaned up the best I can and give it a quick shot of AA1 Silver. Thankfully I thought to ask if there was any paint left when I bought the car and got about a pint.
1966plysathp2ptf 072.jpg

Last edited:
The mess that needs to be tackled thanks to Dot 3 brake fluid.
1966plysathp2ptg 001.jpg

Master cylinder reinforcement plate prepped and painted semi-gloss black.
1966plysathp2ptg 004.jpg

What a wonderful place to spend the afternoon, bent over the nose of the car, using wax and grease remover and sanding to good paint or clean metal.
1966plysathp2ptg 012.jpg

Hopefully I covered everything.
1966plysathp2ptg 023.jpg

Get to try out my new gun...
1966plysathp2ptg 025.jpg

Not perfect, but it's certainly better than it was. Everything will blend once the master and it's reinforcement plate is back into place.
1966plysathp2ptg 045.jpg

Last edited:
Making a new gasket for the brake master reinforcing plate.
1966plysathp2ptg 060.jpg

Wiring bracket reinstalled after clean up.
1966plysathp2ptg 065.jpg

Gasket in place.
1966plysathp2ptg 072.jpg

True colour of the nut, same as the firewall heater box nuts, yellow zinc.
1966plysathp2ptg 077.jpg

Cleaned up the front side with brake cleaner and a plastic bristle brush.
1966plysathp2ptg 080.jpg

Reinforcing plate back into place.
1966plysathp2ptg 084.jpg

-8C outside with the master cylinder for a quick media blast with glass dust. No point in making a mess in the shop.
1966plysathp2ptg 087.jpg

In process and of course starting to snow.
1966plysathp2ptg 089.jpg

All blasted clean and ready to coat with Boeshield T9.
1966plysathp2ptg 096.jpg

Well coated with T9 to let is soak in for the night. My rebuild kits should be in the mail box tomorrow.
1966plysathp2ptg 099.jpg

Looks excellent. No one will ever notice the touch up down under there. I had the same issue with mine and did a spray touch up from underneath shooting up - someone else had already repaired the MC before I purchased the car and I didn’t want to remove it at the time. I will probably, re-do it from above when I replace/rebuild the MC. Who actually made the rebuild kit you bought. I think I found the EBay listing you purchased from but you got the last one and I haven’t found another. I do have a new one though if I need to use it.

Did you go back with DOT3 or are you planning to switch to DOT5?

One rebuild kit, the K256, is a "Certified" manufacturer and the K260 is from Asbestonos. After buying the first one I found he had another and bought it toooooo ...

No I'm not attempting for flush the system clean to switch to DOT5.

Any reason not to use you your blast cabinet Wayne? Just curious.

Contamination of the cabinet with brake fluid??

Any reason not to use you your blast cabinet Wayne? Just curious.

Contamination of the cabinet with brake fluid??
No matter how you use it there's dust in the room and currently all my oil and lubricants are piled right beside it. That and it doesn't have glass in it. Just a lot easier with just one part to take it outside and blast it. 15 minutes tops outside.

Hi can you post a pic of your fan blade and did it come with a clutched fan or fixed on the street hemi in 66?

Ok thanks what about 67 RT coronets?
The fixed fan uses an 1" to an 1.5" spacer then fan. I put a clutch fan on my car you put pulley on and bolt clutch fan directly to water pump snout holding pulley.

Both rebuild kits came with a bag of fluid, but I'll pass on some tacky 55+ year old fluid and use fresh DOT 3.
1966plysathp2pth 001.jpg

The old parts laid out the way they came out. I reused the spring and left the new one in the Asbestonos kit for another day.
1966plysathp2pth 003.jpg

Parts ready to go into the master cylinder.
1966plysathp2pth 004.jpg

The Asbestonos rebuild kit came with a reused OE main spool. Part #220395
1966plysathp2pth 005.jpg

The Certified seal on the left is thinner and more flexiable than the Asbestonos seal on the right, so I went with the heavier one and the OE spool.
1966plysathp2pth 006.jpg

Cleaned, cleaned and cleaned the bore some more until the kleenex came out as spottless as it went in.
1966plysathp2pth 012.jpg

I put that **** on everything. Never a fluid leak in 30 years in Aviation use.
1966plysathp2pth 014.jpg

Went to use the "bleeder" tube I bent up and noted it didn't thread in enough to make the line flare sit tight. Checking the OE I noted the relieved threads for about 3/16".
1966plysathp2pth 016.jpg

Ground the threads off my bleeder tubes nut.
1966plysathp2pth 019.jpg

All parts going into the master cylinder bore dipped in brake fluid.
1966plysathp2pth 024.jpg

Last edited:
New push rod lock rubber ready to go into the undercut in the main spool.
1966plysathp2pth 026.jpg

Lock rubber in place.
1966plysathp2pth 027.jpg

Brake rod pushed into the lock rubber in the main spool. Make sure you have the rubber boot and retainer plate on the rod BEFORE you do so!
1966plysathp2pth 030.jpg

Seal goes in first, then the valve pre attached to the spring (shown being dipped above). Then a rubber seal that is backed by a thin metal washer with the cup facing over the spring head. Then the spool with seal.
1966plysathp2pth 032.jpg

Spool started in, then I rolled a piece of shim stock into the bore so the seal lip could easily just enter. You have to pull the shim stock back before the spool will go in, or you can use your nails and work the seal into the bore.
1966plysathp2pth 037.jpg

Push rod retainer plate bolted in place and the spring keeper installed to the push rod. Filled the reservoir 1/2 full with brake fluid and hand pumped the push rod with the master at different angles until I had no more air bubbles. Then left it for an hour and did it again getting a few more small ones, then none.
1966plysathp2pth 042.jpg

Found I had a manual brake gasket in the misc left overs from the Bee restoration.
1966plysathp2pth 048.jpg

I can't stand when I see a fresh install picture with bright white gasket sticking out as the "highlight" in the shot. Gaskets are being made larger than OE so I trimmed it off with the exacto knife.
1966plysathp2pth 052.jpg

That I like.
1966plysathp2pth 055.jpg

I was going to leave that top left reinforcing plate nut out, figuring I'd never get the nut back up there and then decided I'd better give it a go. Kept losing the nut and then the light bulb went off.
1966plysathp2pth 063.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back