• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2

Notice how much is painted on my original negative cable.....

1656467897086.jpeg

Your guys original cars demonstrate what I already suspected on mine - the PO used too reddish an orange paint to re-paint the engine In mine.

Notice how much is painted on my original negative cable.....

View attachment 1408126
Yep and could never figure out why they got that carried away on the negative cable. I'm getting old and senile, don't want to mistake it for the positive !! My real paint mission was to get the bolt head and nut holding the strap, thought I'd get a bit of the cable while there.

Your guys original cars demonstrate what I already suspected on mine - the PO used too reddish an orange paint to re-paint the engine In mine.
My engine is not original, it's a '68, and was rebuilt in 2016 and repainted then as well.

OK - but I suspect with a more correct shade of orange.

Yep and could never figure out why they got that carried away on the negative cable. I'm getting old and senile, don't want to mistake it for the positive !! My real paint mission was to get the bolt head and nut holding the strap, thought I'd get a bit of the cable while there.

2pb2uamecf4svqcy7ws0h8tzemgb3aa2pv885ef0w&rid=200w.gif

Why you never throw out your holey socks!
1966plysathp2pti 104.jpg

Dip in gasoline and wipe...
1966plysathp2pti 106.jpg

This might take a while..
1966plysathp2pti 114.jpg

Signs of a true hemi car. Axle bump stops are large and rounded, not pointed. No idea why they bothered vs the normal pointed ones on every "regular" car.
1966plysathp2pti 122.jpg

Reinforcing plate welded on top of the normal pinion snubber area on the car body. Adjustable pinion snubber here is obviously aftermarket.
1966plysathp2pti 126.jpg

Hemi only "Torque boxes" welded into the frame ahead of the leaf spring hanger bracket. Guess I shouldn't say hemi only as you'd find these on a convertible as well.
1966plysathp2pti 128.jpg

Hemi only reinforcing gusset plate between the rear spring hanger channel and the rear frame rail. Noting it's amazing how far Krown creeps. I only lightly sprayed the joint between the floor pan and bracket a few days ago. Need to also clean the overspray and filth off the leaf springs and hanger.
1966plysathp2pti 133.jpg

Last edited:
My original neg cable was like that, too, Wayne.

20160821_151146 (2).jpg

Thanks.. you buggers are just trying to get me to pull that cable out and paint it completely aren't you!!!

While we're all here.. LOL. LCA's dipped in black paint or cosmoline?? Uppers bare or Black?

I can tell that the K frame has never been out of this car and the LCA's have a few "dip runs" in them. Those I can't tell for sure if they've been out or not, but if so it sure wasn't recently as one side could use a new rubber pivot shaft bushing in the near future.

I left my new negative cable all black. I have enough original stuff in the engine compartment that I didn't think making the replacement cable look original was necessary. Plus, I still have the original cable in a tote with some other original parts that have been replaced.

:luvplace:

So guys, are your LCA's black??? What about the uppers??

I also remembered that I have to adjust the angle of my drivers door glass, as it's too far in at the top. Looks like you have to pull the door card on a '66, as there's no lower "door jam" access hole for the rear glass guide channel like on a '68/69/70 door shell.

If it’s the vent frame that’s in too far you can try backing off that big, exposed head Phillips screw on the upper door panel A little. If it’s at the rear (rear track) I believe pulling the door panel is required.

Some shouldn't be able to touch a grease gun let alone use one.
1966plysathp2ptj 002.jpg

Gobs and gobs of grease everywhere but where it should be.
1966plysathp2ptj 005.jpg

5 hours of socks, rags, gas and even a dental pick and we're getting there.
1966plysathp2ptj 007.jpg

Oh look, it's a part number under that goo..
1966plysathp2ptj 010.jpg

Not an easy place to clean as an assembly, but getting it done. Missing a cotter pin on that ball joint nut as well and I found it three turns loose! Also found two of the rattles in the car, shock lower bolt on both sides not tight enough to retain the inner bushing snuggly in the LCA
1966plysathp2ptj 015.jpg

Factory inspection markings. I presume to say "brakes set".
1966plysathp2ptj 017.jpg

Not perfect, but 200% better than it was and once I get around the entire car I'll come back with some wax and grease remover as a final clean. Then it'll probably rust.. lol
1966plysathp2ptj 023.jpg

Rear area, tie rods, etc cleaned up similar.
1966plysathp2ptj 024.jpg

Looking better and I'm pretty sure that someone has painted the lower control arms and strut rods at some point long after the car was built.
1966plysathp2ptj 039.jpg

Still sporting it's original torsion bar seals.
1966plysathp2ptj 043.jpg

More cleaning tomorrow to finish tidying it up I hope, then a door glass to align better.

I agree, Wayne. I don't think the lower control arms or strut rods came painted from the factory.

I agree, Wayne. I don't think the lower control arms or strut rods came painted from the factory.
Strut rods were probably bare, like 68/69/70, but I think the LCA's were dipped in Black paint vs cosmoline.

Auto Transport Service
Back