• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Satellite restomod street toy

I've said it before, your craftsmanship is incredible. I totally agree with Mr. Cope, I've never run the trans cooler through the radiator. The cooling issues are totally different. Your cooler is neat, I used one like that 30 + years ago (although half the size) & worked great.

If anyone gets tired of watching this build I think they need to take up another hobby as your attention to detail is incredible!
I really like the embossed rail connectors, and the exhaust hangers!
I've never been a gold kind of guy but you certainly have a Midas touch and won e over! Hats off to you and your team!!!
Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving too!

Mike67, Thanks for your kind comments. I'm not really a gold kind of guy either, I was originally planning on a root beer metallic for the exterior as I liked that color with the gold interior. At a car show I saw a 67 that was painted almost exactly the color that I had selected and I didn't care for the appearance. I changed the plan and selected the gold that's on the under body now. I guess we will have to wait until it's finished to see what it looks like, thanks again, Brian.

5,500 my foot, obviously someone was quite jealous!

Torkmnstr, thanks for your gracious comment. I do believe everyone is entitled to an opinion, I just hope I'm developing the maturity and grace to keep mine to myself when appropriate, Brian

Badass..... I think he shifted the decimal point that'll be at least a $55,000.00 car. forget the purists. If they can't appreciate something other than a total restoration then they can keep their heads up there where the sun don't shine.

Riverdawg, thanks but don't be to hard on the "purists". Someone has to maintain our automotive history or the new generations will never get to see the vehicles they missed. I'm not sure that they will ever see them anyway unless we send them a picture in a text! Another advantage to having all those boring stock restorations around is they make our vehicles interesting......LOL!

I've said it before, your craftsmanship is incredible. I totally agree with Mr. Cope, I've never run the trans cooler through the radiator. The cooling issues are totally different. Your cooler is neat, I used one like that 30 + years ago (although half the size) & worked great.

66Satellite47, thanks again, I think you're right but I guess we'll see.

Riverdawg, thanks but don't be to hard on the "purists". Someone has to maintain our automotive history or the new generations will never get to see the vehicles they missed. I'm not sure that they will ever see them anyway unless we send them a picture in a text! Another advantage to having all those boring stock restorations around is they make our vehicles interesting......LOL!
So true,they bust my balls for ruining a perfect slant 6 car with 3 on the tree,,,,,,,,,,,,:lol:

[QUOTE="HEMI-ITIS, post: 910549252, member: 895"]So true,they bust my balls for ruining a perfect slant 6 car with 3 on the tree,,,,,,,,,,,,:lol:[/QUOTE]

HEMI-ITIS, when I was growing up my Father had restored cars, he and my mother always had a new car but dad only drove his in the winter or when it was crappy out. The first thing dad did when he acquired a new project vehicle was fit them with sealed beam headlights. The purists would give him a hard time over the conversion and he would tell them that failure to keep up with technology would leave them in the dark and he wished to see where he was going. thanks Brian

Last edited:

haha, very true. I have no trouble with purists, like you said automotive history is important too. Some of them are just purists or nothing, which is sad because there are a lot of great non pure vehicles out there, like yours, hemi-itis and many others.

I like the root beer on my car, though not original, it's different and is nice enough for a driver for now (once I get it driveable).

Coronet rt side.jpg

haha, very true. I have no trouble with purists, like you said automotive history is important too. Some of them are just purists or nothing, which is sad because there are a lot of great non pure vehicles out there, like yours, hemi-itis and many others.

I like the root beer on my car, though not original, it's different and is nice enough for a driver for now (once I get it driveable).

View attachment 373706
Riverdawg, love the color of your car, it shows very nicely on your vehicle. I've always thought different body styles show colors differently and some colors just don't work on some cars. That said, I've been told that my taste is located 3 foot south of my head and in the opposite direction of where I'm headed.

so true about the colors working on some cars and not others. :poke: My wife tells me the same thing about my tastes, just more directly. :rofl:

It is just an outstanding job you have accomplished so far! That guy is insane and have nothing to do in the MOPAR world if he is not able to appreciate your spaceship! lol
like others said he is just so jealous of you!
MOPAR or NO car! keep up like that!

Hi Guys' I've been making a little progress so I thought I'd post. You guys' are probably tired of looking at this project, I know I am!!! The wiring is completed and utilizes the original body harness from the firewall rearward. All of the electrical systems added to the vehicle, fans, fuel pump, MSD box ect, were placed in a separate fuse panel under the instrument panel. Fortunately Ma Chrysler left enough unused pins in the firewall body connector to allow us to utilize it for all engine harness and front end circuits. I can't take credit for the ultra clean wiring a friend, Dave Decker did the work for me. I still have to do my part and do all of the final tie downs on the harness extensions. The exhaust is all welded and has the hanger hardware fabricated. In the photos some of the parts a tacked together, but it's finished now with the exception of the final installation.

One of the guys at the shop took photos of the car and showed it to a friend that does Mopar restorations. He commented that I had succeeded in turning what could have been a 30,000 dollar car into a 5,500 dollar "beater". I'm guessing I won't be on his Christmas card list!

I hope that all of you guys' and your loved ones' have a great Thanksgiving, Brian.

View attachment 373395

View attachment 373396

View attachment 373397

View attachment 373398

View attachment 373399

View attachment 373401

Thanks for looking and as always if you have questions or comments feel free, Brian
WOW, what an asshole!!! I'm like minded to you and love seeing peoples talent and creativity put on display versus just a plain Jain resto. Takes far more talent to do what your doing then following a coarse that's already been laid out by thousands doing the exact same thing. He's creating just another ho hum Mopar, your creating a masterpiece that will garner 100 times the attention and dare I say enjoyment.

Keep up the awesome work!!

It is just an outstanding job you have accomplished so far! That guy is insane and have nothing to do in the MOPAR world if he is not able to appreciate your spaceship! lol
like others said he is just so jealous of you!
MOPAR or NO car! keep up like that!

Sixtynine_Bird, I appreciate your thoughts but, when I heard about his comment I just thought it was humorous. We all know what opinions are worth!

WOW, what an asshole!!! I'm like minded to you and love seeing peoples talent and creativity put on display versus just a plain Jain resto. Takes far more talent to do what your doing then following a coarse that's already been laid out by thousands doing the exact same thing. He's creating just another ho hum Mopar, your creating a masterpiece that will garner 100 times the attention and dare I say enjoyment.

Keep up the awesome work!!

747mopar, you have always been very gracious when commenting on my project and I appreciate it! Everyone can have an opinion, but like I wrote in and earlier post I hope that they have the maturity and grace to keep quite, especially when they're obviously wrong........LOL Thanks Brian.

Incredible work sir!

Hope you have your tune correct or your going to turn you axle housing black. LOL
It's too nice to drive.

IMG_0779.JPG

Incredible work sir!

Hope you have your tune correct or your going to turn you axle housing black. LOL
It's too nice to drive.

View attachment 374004
Gpuller, yeah the housing will probably get some soot on it but, In the photo the axle is at full droop. At ride height the axle is 3.5" higher in relation to the exhaust turn-outs. I'm hoping to get the tune decent and get most of the soot on the anti-roll bar. Now don't you dare apply logic to my naïve illusions........LOL. Thanks, Brian

Hi Guys'
When I was first deciding what I wanted to do with this car and selecting the components for the engine I decided to use a flat tappet hydraulic cam. I realized that this would require specialized high zinc oils or an oil additive or both. I wanted to try to ensure that I wasn't going to have cam lobe/lifter problems. When we assemble these engines we put cam assembly lube on the cam lobes and the lifter faces in an attempt to be sure they're lubricated for initial start-up. The assumption is that after break-in the cam lobes and lifters aren't as sensitive to lubrication issues. The typical break-in procedure recommends a 2500 RPM minimum, this is to "windage" oil the cam shaft lobes during the initial break-in. I believe that I have seen anecdotal evidence that when these types of vehicles are parked for storage, damage can occur on start-up for the new season. A number of friends and associates have had cam issues on vehicles that have been running some time, immediately or very close to the first "fire" of the season. I have seen and heard of enough of these to believe that it's not a coincidence. I believe that we park them hot and let them sit for months and at the end of their hibernation there's not a lot of oil on the cam. Then we fire them up and let it idle until it warms up (who revs a cold engine?), so no windage oil! This is really just a long winded explanation of why I added a camshaft oiling system to the engine.

Below the valley block-off plate (2 piece design) I suspended a center fed tube with a small hole (.012) at each lobe location, It also has a .060 restrictor in the oil supply. In the first photo you can just see the banjo fitting that feeds the oiling tube. I really wasn't concerned about parasitic losses from having the extra oil travelling down through the center of the engine but if it puts to much oil on the cylinder walls and causes oil control problems I'll add a shut-off valve to the feed line. I would appreciate any and all thoughts on this subject, you guys' have a great deal of valuable experience.

The other photos are just a visual update. We added some temporary gauges for break-in and the loose wires in the pics are for them. I still have to finish my part of the wiring.......the dummy part, mounting the harnesses and extensions. As always thanks for looking, Brian

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

Interesting..... Don't see why it won't do the job. I'm curious why you didn't try lifters that lubricate the cam? Can't remember which brand it was right off the top of my head but they put a small oil hole in the center of the lifter that lubes the cam, the lifter is pumped up under pressure so.... sounds legit?

Back in the day camshaft failures were few and far in between (other than the notorious Chevy cams) so what's changed? The EPA as always, I honestly think crap oil is the biggest culprit but there's nothing wrong with insurance. I buy Lucas oil and have put 10,000 miles on my current solid lift cam motor.

Interesting..... Don't see why it won't do the job. I'm curious why you didn't try lifters that lubricate the cam? Can't remember which brand it was right off the top of my head but they put a small oil hole in the center of the lifter that lubes the cam, the lifter is pumped up under pressure so.... sounds legit?

Back in the day camshaft failures were few and far in between (other than the notorious Chevy cams) so what's changed? The EPA as always, I honestly think crap oil is the biggest culprit but there's nothing wrong with insurance. I buy Lucas oil and have put 10,000 miles on my current solid lift cam motor.

747mopar, I've been watching your garage project, the quality and amount work you get done is truly inspiring, how the heck do you find time to post?

I did see the lifters with the oil holes in them and I like the idea. Like a lot of things in life I became aware of them after I was done, at the speed I move (unlike yourself) I can't afford to back-up. I thought that those lifters were only available for solid cams but it surely wouldn't be the first, nor last time I was wrong. In retrospect it's attractive to me that this system is easily adjustable for flow by changing the restrictor and easy to turn off if the additional oiling causes issues.

I absolutely agree with your assessment of the "new" oils but I do think there's other factors in play. Modern cam grinds have lifts, profiles and utilize spring pressures that are much more aggressive than our "back in the day" cams. Thanks for your thoughts, Brian.

Auto Transport Service
Back